Thread: The ugly

TBD
    TBD

Question The ugly

So I've heard lots of great stuff about the most recent F-body cars. Not to mention the LS-1 itself. I was wondering if I could get some of the negative aspects in owning one of these, besides the increased urge to break the speed limit. I've heard of stuff like loosely fitting body panels, cheap interior, weak rear end, and other things. What about the car annoys you that they didn't do right?

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Headlights (on trans ams), window motors, and disfunctional alarm system. Other than that, i have 0 complaints about mine.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Head light motors,(cheap plastic gear strips, but you can use them 4 different times) low-note horn (how many TAs are only honking the high note?) window motor. My body panel fit is good, nothing loose. 61000 on my differential, it is noise free. And yeah, the engine is a great thing to build on. 27 MPG at 75 MPH is great.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

You get 27mpg on highway, I'm jealous, the things make me wish I had a M6 instead of an A4. I only get about 20-22mpg depending on how I drive it.
    TSP Torquer V2 cam, ported heads,fast 90/90 combo, LT's, 3400 stall, magnaflow CB, most other bolt ons, full suspension, t-top and HID conversion

422 RWHP, 384TQ

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Price per HP on these cars you can't beat, their is always something to break, my biggest grip is the passanger side Cat Hump I hate that, I thought about taking a hammer to it to drive it down but can't get myself to do it for just the passanger. I'v only been the passanger for a few miles a couple of times and that side of the car really SUCKS.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Two things for me the huge blind spot on the drivers side and lots of road noise(squeaks,ect) while driving and hitting bumps in the road. But the engine and mean ass look of the car makes up for both.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbal Chicken View Post
    So I've heard lots of great stuff about the most recent F-body cars. Not to mention the LS-1 itself. I was wondering if I could get some of the negative aspects in owning one of these, besides the increased urge to break the speed limit. I've heard of stuff like loosely fitting body panels, cheap interior, weak rear end, and other things. What about the car annoys you that they didn't do right?
    that's over dramaticized. Let me clearify:

weak rear end: only if you increase HP and add stickie tires will you break the rear end. If you increase HP and use street radials, you will be fine.

Body panels are fine, the interior is kinda squeeky though when your going 80-90 on moderatly bumpy road; just turn up the volume or drop the window and listen to the exhaust

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    that's over dramaticized. Let me clearify:

weak rear end: only if you increase HP and add stickie tires will you break the rear end. If you increase HP and use street radials, you will be fine.

Body panels are fine, the interior is kinda squeeky though when your going 80-90 on moderatly bumpy road; just turn up the volume or drop the window and listen to the exhaust
    i think i see where youre going, but
    i kinda disagree. if you are pushing enough torque to the rear it wont matter what tires you have. the drivetrain loads before the tires spin.
    but everything else +1!!!!!

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

honestly, the good points FAR out way the bad. Huge power, light body and looks that are timeless. Do you know how many times someone did a double take when i told them "no, it's not a 2004 model, it's a 2000...they stopped making them in 02"

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    honestly, the good points FAR out way the bad. Huge power, light body and looks that are timeless. Do you know how many times someone did a double take when i told them "no, it's not a 2004 model, it's a 2000...they stopped making them in 02"
    that i definetly give a huge thumbs up!!!

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i think i see where youre going, but
    i kinda disagree. if you are pushing enough torque to the rear it wont matter what tires you have. the drivetrain loads before the tires spin.
    but everything else +1!!!!!
    that rear end is fine upto 100 extra hp. After that you're toying with fate.

My question is is there a way to fix the weak back end then or are we just doomed to break it if we get too much HP?

Thread Information