Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Question Two ?? on Volant CAI setup

First, will the Volant CAI setup work on my T/A with a WS6 Tru-Fiber hood. More or less the clearance and how it seals to the hood. Does anyone have this setup??

Second, I have removed the baffles in my Ram Air hood. Do I need to worry about water get past the filters???

Thanks.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

1. if it doesnt seal up super tight you can always add pipe insulation to add some body to it and get a tighter seal, other than that i dont know.

2.I also have both baffles removed and no problems, i even take it through the straight up car was once or twice. I had the same worries tho...

red
    02 trans am ws6

I have it. No baffles either. I just put bags over the filters when I wash the motor. Its all good.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by badazta View Post
    I have it. No baffles either. I just put bags over the filters when I wash the motor. Its all good.
    What about in the rain?? Any issues??

red
    02 trans am ws6

although I cringe when it rains, ( since I lost a 3000 mile 318 in my dodge due to water) I haven't had any issues with the TA.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I have the OEM hood, and I love the kit. My hood is also debaffled, but I drove my car in HEAVY rain 2 weeks ago and the next time I went to start it up, I blew a hole out the side of my block! I'm thinking I ingested water and shit out a piece of a bearing...?

The kit is great though, and seals very well to the OEM hood.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I have the OEM hood, and I love the kit. My hood is also debaffled, but I drove my car in HEAVY rain 2 weeks ago and the next time I went to start it up, I blew a hole out the side of my block! I'm thinking I ingested water and shit out a piece of a bearing...?

The kit is great though, and seals very well to the OEM hood.
    SHIT!!!! I wasn't worried until this post

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Piranhaz View Post
    SHIT!!!! I wasn't worried until this post
    I don't think it was from the volant, and it was just just a speculation, because I ave yet to take the motor apart. Plenty of others using it without problems!

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I don't think it was from the volant, and it was just just a speculation, because I ave yet to take the motor apart. Plenty of others using it without problems!
    Understood and I'm sure it's not from the Volant set-up. I'm more worried about having the baffles removed now..............

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

this is what I found after reading about removing baffles from various threads on this site.

- if its a daily driver you are better of keeping the baffles in just to be on the safer side
    - others have taken them and had a filter such as K&N and have felt their filter after a hard rain and that the inside of the filter was bone dry
    - Someone else mentioned that It takes something like 600hp or something around that line to make water rise 1 in.
    - Someone else also had some type of clear plate that they put in front of the grills on the nostrils of the hood for when it would rain

I though I would just add in what I read to maybe help you make you decision.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02 WS-Six View Post
    this is what I found after reading about removing baffles from various threads on this site.

- if its a daily driver you are better of keeping the baffles in just to be on the safer side
    - others have taken them and had a filter such as K&N and have felt their filter after a hard rain and that the inside of the filter was bone dry
    - Someone else mentioned that It takes something like 600hp or something around that line to make water rise 1 in.
    - Someone else also had some type of clear plate that they put in front of the grills on the nostrils of the hood for when it would rain

I though I would just add in what I read to maybe help you make you decision.

That's good info all rolled into one post!! I could always create a plate to put in there when it rained, but that kinda sux. I guess if I was just gonna run an MTI or SLP lid with a K&N filter I wouldn't be as worried because the water would have to go up through the filter where as the Volant setup looks like the water would get pushed right into the filters, but I can't tell that just from pictures of them.

The saga continues..................

Thread Information