Thread: Turn Signal

Silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Turn Signal

Hi everyone,

I have constant issues with my front turn signals. Every few months I still switch the signal and the dash light will come on, but it won't blink. Normally this means the bulb is crap and I replace it and on with my day. However, yesterday I replaced the bulb and the problem stayed. Any suggestions on troubleshooting before I replace the bulb socket in the front?

Also something to note, when this happens, the rear blinker does not work either (I have had bulb issues on both sides of the car).

Thank you

98 Formula
    06 duramax

most likely a corroded socket.....pretty common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

You need to replace the socket. They have a habit of holding water because they are in the bottom of the turn signal housing and they burn out over the years. I would recommend replacing the entire housing and the bulb sockets so you don't have to do this again in a few months. If the housings are original they are probably cracked or full of moisture so its time to swap those too.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Ok great. Anyone have the part number for the housing? I found the sockets recommended for the sockets in another thread from auto zone

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

These are the exact ones that I replaced mine with and they have been great so far.

Side Marker Corner Parking Lights Turn Signals Pair Set New for 98 02 Trans Am | eBay

One thing you will want to do is drill out the screw holes on the housings some before you try and thread the screws in to them when you are ready to install. The plastic is very hard and the factory GM screws are self tapping with some pretty deep threads so if they bite too much the head will break off. Drill the holes out so that the threads can bite a little without breaking.

Silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    These are the exact ones that I replaced mine with and they have been great so far.

Side Marker Corner Parking Lights Turn Signals Pair Set New for 98 02 Trans Am | eBay

One thing you will want to do is drill out the screw holes on the housings some before you try and thread the screws in to them when you are ready to install. The plastic is very hard and the factory GM screws are self tapping with some pretty deep threads so if they bite too much the head will break off. Drill the holes out so that the threads can bite a little without breaking.
    Appreciate the very specific help! Cheers

Thread Information