Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Turn key, several second delay before anything happens

Hello,

Happy to see so many still on this forum! I've been searching this issue all around but haven't found an answer yet. I figure instead of trying to explain with text what is happening, I'll attach a video as well.

Over the last couple years, There has been a very short delay between when I turn the key over, to when the dash lights up and the fuel pump kicks on. This delay has grown in time over the last two years. That delay goes away after it starts up the first time and the car gets warm. The super long delay only happens when the car is completely cold.

On top of this, if I drive the car for a bit and park for a few minutes, like to get gas or run into the store real fast, The car will sometimes stutter and / or backfire and die when I attempt to start it. If the time between shutting the car off and starting it is longer than 10 minutes or so, it will start fine.

Additional info:

• YMM - 2002 WS6 M6
    • Mileage - 42,000
    • Garage kept and covered, never driven in rain
    • Replacing battery did not fix the issue
    • Trickle charger on or off does not make a difference

Last edited by Capt Pie; 11-26-2022 at 12:41 PM.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

That is unusual. My first thought would be how old is your battery? After that I would start checking all of the primary electrical connections. Remove, clean and reinstall battery cables. Double check ground cables. Most likely it is something very simple, but I have personally never seen what you showed in the video happening. Good luck. Electrical issues can be very frustrating.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    That is unusual. My first thought would be how old is your battery? After that I would start checking all of the primary electrical connections. Remove, clean and reinstall battery cables. Double check ground cables. Most likely it is something very simple, but I have personally never seen what you showed in the video happening. Good luck. Electrical issues can be very frustrating.
    Thanks for the kind wishes. New battery was my first thought as well, and it didn't make any difference. I was kinda hoping someone had this same issue before I went chasing electrical gremlins

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Still having this issue. The warmer it is, the less of the delay on the 1st cold start.

Thread Information