Thread: tuners

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

tuners

Would anyone be able to help me choose whether to go with a diablo sport tuner or a mail order tune? I have someone at my work wanting to sell me a tuner and i don't know if i should buy it from him because i dont know how much power i would get compared to sending it out to Frost. And another perk with the diablo.. i would be able to change what i wanted to instead of sending out my computer everytime i needed too. any pro's and con's would be appriciated

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Frost will do a hell of alot better tune for you then any handheld ever will.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Frost will do a hell of alot better tune for you then any handheld ever will.
    I guess that is all the persuasion i need.. for 125 you can't really beat that for a mail order..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Handheld tuner... is a waste of money.
    And don't worry about having to send you computer out all the time...because you won't really have to. Typically people do the bolt on mods and remove some emissions equipment and send their PCM to Frost. You'll get it back and most likely drive it around like that for a summer or two...then get bored and wanna do heads and cam. Send the pcm to frost for a baseline tune or you'll have to go to the a local tuner.
    The Handheld tuners don't offer up enough adjustability to actually tune a car completely.
    If you're worried that you'll be changing gear ratios, tire sizes, and engine set-ups alot, then you should look into getting HPtuners so you can tweak everything and anything at anytime.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Handheld tuner... is a waste of money.
    And don't worry about having to send you computer out all the time...because you won't really have to. Typically people do the bolt on mods and remove some emissions equipment and send their PCM to Frost. You'll get it back and most likely drive it around like that for a summer or two...then get bored and wanna do heads and cam. Send the pcm to frost for a baseline tune or you'll have to go to the a local tuner.
    The Handheld tuners don't offer up enough adjustability to actually tune a car completely.
    If you're worried that you'll be changing gear ratios, tire sizes, and engine set-ups alot, then you should look into getting HPtuners so you can tweak everything and anything at anytime.
    ah i don't plan on changing to much as far as tires or gears for a long time. i was going to twin turbo it being i know a guy who builds custom systems but i'm putting that on the back burner. i am just trying to get the car paid off so i can start playing around with it. what does anyone know about the SCT tuners?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

All handhold tuners are a waste. I know SCT is popular with Ford people and I'm not a aware that they make one for LS1 cars.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

dude just send one out to frost. If you are just getting like a catback or something dont even worry about a tune itll be a waste of money. If you are thinking about getting a tune after every little mod you do dont worry about the tune, itll be a waste of money, again. Wait until you get a nice mod list on your car, then send it out. I sent mine out when i had a different lid and filter, spark plug wires, a clutch, LTs, ORY, and a catback. Now i have a cam and other supporting mods and got it tuned by a local guy. My vote is for frost for every external and common BOLT ON you can do. If you get any internal work, go with a dyno or a very good local guy who knows his shit.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

All handhold tuners are a waste. I know SCT is popular with Ford people and I'm not a aware that they make one for LS1 cars.
    Oh they do, atleast now. I just got their new product catalog here work and they show the hand held ones. i'll probably just do the mail order one from frost..for the money and what i could get out of it is probably far better than any hand held like stated earlier. I'm just interested in what kind of gains are possible with frost.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    dude just send one out to frost. If you are just getting like a catback or something dont even worry about a tune itll be a waste of money. If you are thinking about getting a tune after every little mod you do dont worry about the tune, itll be a waste of money, again. Wait until you get a nice mod list on your car, then send it out. I sent mine out when i had a different lid and filter, spark plug wires, a clutch, LTs, ORY, and a catback. Now i have a cam and other supporting mods and got it tuned by a local guy. My vote is for frost for every external and common BOLT ON you can do. If you get any internal work, go with a dyno or a very good local guy who knows his shit.
    well..dude.. the car has the intake headers and slp exhaust minus cats.. i wanted to get a better tune on there since it is more free flowing. that's all. now if someone like frost or cutlass that seem to know their shit can tell me it might not be beneficial for a tune yet, i'll hear them out..anyone. hey that's why i am here..for suggestions.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by redrocketws6 View Post
    well..dude.. the car has the intake headers and slp exhaust minus cats.. i wanted to get a better tune on there since it is more free flowing. that's all. now if someone like frost or cutlass that seem to know their shit can tell me it might not be beneficial for a tune yet, i'll hear them out..anyone. hey that's why i am here..for suggestions.
    yes, a tune will benefit you at this point.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Another vote for Frost.

Our car came with a handheld that is now relegated to monitoring engine data. Frost did a mail order on our car several months ago and it runs great. I have a wideband and the air-fuel ratio is on the money throughout the operating range.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

I recently sent my computer out to Frost (Steve) on Saturday, got it back on Wednesday. My car has a lid and cat back only but the difference in the tuning was amazing. Probably especially so because I have an auto trans and he did some great things with the shifting points and firmness and tuned down the torque management on the transmission.

When you first reinstall it will take a few minutes for the computer to relearn the basics so don't panic if it hunts and won't idle smooth for a couple of minutes. After a long ride everything smoothed out and ran great. Much smoother in the low gears and no hunting around between first and second. Very happy!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    I recently sent my computer out to Frost (Steve) on Saturday, got it back on Wednesday. My car has a lid and cat back only but the difference in the tuning was amazing. Probably especially so because I have an auto trans and he did some great things with the shifting points and firmness and tuned down the torque management on the transmission.

When you first reinstall it will take a few minutes for the computer to relearn the basics so don't panic if it hunts and won't idle smooth for a couple of minutes. After a long ride everything smoothed out and ran great. Much smoother in the low gears and no hunting around between first and second. Very happy!
    that sounds nice. I won't have to worry about the shifting with the M6, my main concern is the engine. I mean the car runs great right now and throws me into the seat with the nitto street slick tires that came with it but i know it can be better.

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Thumbs up

Go with Frost you wont be sorry! The car will run a lot better.
    LS6 intake,B&M short shift, Pacesetter ceramic lt, ory, umi subframe connectors, umi lca, slp lid, tr 230 cam, comp 918 springs,centerforce dual friction clutch, Frost tune.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

theres nothing wrong with SCT. We use their software to tune all the time. the handheld is just a way to store the tune and you can allow user options(timing, shift points, etc) but they can also be locked out. You can store 3 custom tunes on them where as a mail order you have one tune with usually no adjustability. And tuners who use this software arent hard to find. Diablosport you can do the same thing with its just slower.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    theres nothing wrong with SCT. We use their software to tune all the time. the handheld is just a way to store the tune and you can allow user options(timing, shift points, etc) but they can also be locked out. You can store 3 custom tunes on them where as a mail order you have one tune with usually no adjustability. And tuners who use this software arent hard to find. Diablosport you can do the same thing with its just slower.
    But for someone who has no backround with tuning, i'm sure it wouldn't be advisable for someone to use the SCT. thats where the mail order comes in handy. expecially since i am not always changing stuff like you guys.

Thread Information