Junior Member Black_00_Firehawk's Avatar

Tune Up Questions

I have a 2000 Firehawk M6 and Im going to be doing a tune up on the car in the near future and trying to figure out what all I need to do. I know replace the air filter, and plugs and wires. Should I change the fluid in the rear and tranny as well and if so what fluid is recommended (royal purple or something like that) or what would yall recommend? Also as far as plugs and wires go which should I go with and how hard is it to change myself? It is a daily driver so I dont need to be going with plugs that may last me 10k miles. If I'm forgeting anything I need to do let me know cause I want to make sure everything is up to standard since I just got the vehicle not to long ago and dont always trust other ppls maintenance (sp?).

Thanks,
    Paul

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

#8, have fun with that one. The best way to get to it is from under the car or removing the coil bracket and reaching from top. Leave 3 front bolts on the bracket so it's easier to do plugs later. I find it easier to get everything from top and taking out the bracket to change everything. Also for a tune up, plugs, wires, check your transmission fluid for proper level, rear end, just check it for proper level, and check the tension on your serpentine belt and for cracks. Plugs and wires, MSD's work great and NGK TR55's. Any other questions ask away

Aight thanks for the info. The reason Im changing the fluid in the rear is just due to the fact I have no info on the maintence before I had the vehicle and would rather make sure its right now. And thanks for the info on the plugs and wires, but as far as what fluids should I go with? I know mobil does some good stuff but would the money for the royal purple be worth it or just go with mobil 1? Also is there anything else I should just go ahead and do while Im at it like the fuel filter possibly or is that hard to get to also?

Thanks

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes, change the fuel filter. It helps to keep the fuel pump in good shape, it is not hard to do if you can change the spark plugs. It is under the car, under the LR pass seat area. Also, has the Dexcool coolant been changed? It is now 7 years old if not..........do that too. Read the owners manual for advice on fluids and when to change them, or maybe other people here have opinions on that.

Thanks I had forgot about the coolant. I dont have a owners manual so I still need to pick one of those up so not sure what all is done at what mileage. Last vechicle was an L so I was used to plugs and filter every 8-15k miles lol. Any thing else yall?

Thanks

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If you want to use good stuff, use Redline. Expensive like royal purple, but really good stuff. I use Redline for my rearend fluid and D4 ATF for my Trans.

where did you get the redline stuff and did you still get the gm lubricant additive?

Thread Information