Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trunk subwoofer

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

trunk subwoofer

I'm looking at installing my two 10" subs in the trunk of my '98 T/A Vert and have read a couple mentions of porting the trunk for just that. However, I can't seem to find any sort of how to guide for doing this. I don't want to remove my rear seats (I have kids) to put the subs in. Does anyone have any idea how to go about this?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If you do 2 you will have no trunk. There was a guy making a box that held 2 8's that you could still use the trunk. I made 1 10 fit without losing my spare tire and still having some trunk space. Here is another member on this site:http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126195.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Q logic also makes a box that fits in the trunk area. That's what I have in mine, but with two twelves. It looks nice and matches the car. The only downfall is that you lose the space to put your t-tops.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    Q logic also makes a box that fits in the trunk area. That's what I have in mine, but with two twelves. It looks nice and matches the car. The only downfall is that you lose the space to put your t-tops.
    Its a vert

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Oops, missed that.

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Yeah, fitting the box isn't an issue and there won't be much space in the trunk but I really only ever put my laptop bag in my car anyway and it fits behind my seat so no real worries there.

What I was referring to was creating some open space under or around the top when it's down so the subs still kind of hit. I'd seen it referenced before but wasn't sure how to go about doing it or if it was even worth the time. I can just as easily install a switch on the remote wire to that amp and kill the subs when I go top down.

It's unfortunate that the Monsoon stereo was ripped out of the car before I bought it. I inherited a set of component 6.5"s in the sails that were already blown and replaced them with a pair of Sony 6.5" 3-ways that I had lying around but it still doesn't sound great. I'm ordering the ED 6.5's and the Nine.2 to power them but I'd like the extra kick of the two 10s that I have ready to mount with the 600W amp that I already have to power them

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

try www.subthump.com they make a single box for the pass side. they also have a few nice set ups.

any of these should work i like the trans am one.
    http://www.subthump.com/acamarowell.htm

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

When the top is down you will lose almost all base anyway. Be carefull of which speakers you put in the rear though. There isn't much space. If they are too deep the top mechanism will hit when you lower it.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    There was a guy making a box that held 2 8's that you could still use the trunk.
    Check my sig & shoot me a PM.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    Check my sig & shoot me a PM.
    nice, your was the other one i was thinking i knew i saw it somewhere but couldn't remember.

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Thanks for the info everyone .

PM sent.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

Here is the setup in the trunk of my '02 vert. DO tno know if this is what you are looking for.

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Here's what I'm looking for .

When the top is down, it blocks the opening between the trunk and the cabin. I want to do something to make a couple openings between the trunk and cabin when the top is down. That will allow the bass to travel out of the trunk easier and keep the air pressure in the trunk down so it doesn't rattle or otherwise make noise. I just read through my initial posts and realized that I wasn't really specific so sorry about that .

I had planned on building a box and found that the design/shape I had in mind is pretty similar to the ones at subthump.com with the open space underneath.

--edit--

Alternatively, I could just install install a switch in line with the remote wire to that amp so I can kill the subs when I put the top down. I'd miss the bass though

op if you want I can design a sub box for you just give me the dimensions of what your area and tell me what subs you plan to use and I will try my best to get it to work for you

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by Archaelas View Post
    Here's what I'm looking for .

When the top is down, it blocks the opening between the trunk and the cabin. I want to do something to make a couple openings between the trunk and cabin when the top is down. That will allow the bass to travel out of the trunk easier and keep the air pressure in the trunk down so it doesn't rattle or otherwise make noise. I just read through my initial posts and realized that I wasn't really specific so sorry about that .

I had planned on building a box and found that the design/shape I had in mind is pretty similar to the ones at subthump.com with the open space underneath.

--edit--

Alternatively, I could just install install a switch in line with the remote wire to that amp so I can kill the subs when I put the top down. I'd miss the bass though
    you could take the backs of the rear seats out.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    you could take the backs of the rear seats out.
    That'd be OK for making some room for a sub located in the back seat, although I don't think it'd be necessary. Just fold the rear seat forward and set a big-'ol box on top. That'd give you max boom, but you'd lose use of the rear seat and it'd be a thief magnet.

If you are suggesting that as a way to eliminate the loss of bass from a trunk-mounted sub w/ the top down, you'd be barking up the wrong tree. The rear seat isn't what is blocking the opening between the trunk and passenger compartment, it's the folded top/glass.

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

well look into a downfiring box, when i had an regular box in my trunk my hatch would rattle and alot, but then i built a down firing box and i dunno what you call it i gues cotton sheet kinda deal in the box and i put dynamat in my trunk my car is no rattle free, well exept on the driver side that stupid pannel i never put that screw back in. LOL

but that should work out for you

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Yeah, I'm looking at a way to eliminate the bass loss with the top down. At first I thought about a shelf sort of thing under the top (maybe 1/2" of clearance) but wrote that off after looking at it with the top down. Now I'm exploring some sort of tubing through the quarters and out the sails but I haven't had time (or a sunny day) to really check it. I'll post back when I see how feasible that is.

Can't get rid of my rear seats, I take two of my kids to school every morning so I kinda need them lol.

@wenn_du_weinst - I'll PM the measurements as soon as I have them. Been to rainy to leave the trunk open so as soon as I have a clear day, I'll take a tape measure to it.

ported box for 2 10's would work pretty well if you can get the ports in to the cabin
    never messed with a convertible so I don't know on those

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

2 10's....

Thread Information