Black
    2000 Trans Am

True Ram Air Power Question

My question is if the ram air really makes a differnce how much more power is it going to make once the car is moving, lets say at 6o mph? The reason I want to know is I was looking in to sealing the air lid to the hood with some weatherstripping, so the air comming in from the hood only has 1 way to go, and thats in. I dont have a WS6 hood but a Mecham hood with the ports farther to the front and lower than the WS6 hood does. It it is a straight shot directly to the air box and I already cut out the stock air box for a larger opening at the front. I guess that Im just wondering if this mod is worth the time and is it really going to make any power and how much after the car starts moving?

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

You really won't fell the effects of the R/A unless your doing 90+. Its just like a cold air intake will free up ponies over the stock sound reduction boxes only its a much straighter path to the motor.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I just firgured that I would get something out of it. Even at a slower speed than 90 I figured that the amount and pressure of Air being forced toward the motor would be more than the vacuum pull.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Look up the Suncoast creations set up. Its what I have. It seals real good if you follow their recommendations. I will say it sounds like a 4 barrel carb with you tap the gas because of the amount of air it sucks in. You will notice a difference over stock with that setup I guarantee it. Plus it looks pretty good. It isn't the greatest fit but it isn't piss poor either. Here check mine out. www.fquick.com/tealfirebirdv6

Black
    2000 Trans Am

That does look pretty cool. It looks just like foam around the outside of it, With the filter exposed like that I bet it does draw in alot more air, due to the increased surface area, and not breathing though a small slit. That would eliminate buying a lid also. Im assuming that it only sits alittle higher than the stock lid does? Since my hood is lower in the front it would probably seal up really well. Thanks for the help.

Driving like i stole it!! dafizzman1's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    Look up the Suncoast creations set up. Its what I have. It seals real good if you follow their recommendations. I will say it sounds like a 4 barrel carb with you tap the gas because of the amount of air it sucks in. You will notice a difference over stock with that setup I guarantee it. Plus it looks pretty good. It isn't the greatest fit but it isn't piss poor either. Here check mine out. www.fquick.com/tealfirebirdv6
    got the same setup......i like it.....

are those 18's....not sure if i want 17/18 or 18 all around......

car looks sick!

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Yup. 18 by 9.5 if I remember correctly. Tires are P275/35. I need to drop it an inch or so to get that agressive stance I want. Thanks tho.

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

im thinkin those or the new zo6's. but the drop will be perfect!!!

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    That does look pretty cool. It looks just like foam around the outside of it, With the filter exposed like that I bet it does draw in alot more air, due to the increased surface area, and not breathing though a small slit. That would eliminate buying a lid also. Im assuming that it only sits alittle higher than the stock lid does? Since my hood is lower in the front it would probably seal up really well. Thanks for the help.
    Yup. Suncoast offers the hood and R/A kit as a package and you can choose between the WS6 and the Firehawk style. The K&N you need to get is a C4 corvette sized air filter. The foam is weatherstriping (they include size in the directions), its lasted with the 3M adhesive ever since the convertible. I'd stay away from the firehawk hood tho because it has fitment issues. If you want the firehawk look just go through SLP because its the only that looks clean. The other thing thats kind of a bitch is keeping the filter clean. It tends to attract all kinds of sut and shit right where the throttle body is. I need to clean mine sometime soon.

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

Yup. Suncoast offers the hood and R/A kit as a package and you can choose between the WS6 and the Firehawk style. The K&N you need to get is a C4 corvette sized air filter. The foam is weatherstriping (they include size in the directions), its lasted with the 3M adhesive ever since the convertible. I'd stay away from the firehawk hood tho because it has fitment issues. If you want the firehawk look just go through SLP because its the only that looks clean. The other thing thats kind of a bitch is keeping the filter clean. It tends to attract all kinds of sut and shit right where the throttle body is. I need to clean mine sometime soon.
    went 2 months w/o cleaning it and now i kinda need a new one...lol

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by dafizzman1 View Post
    im thinkin those or the new zo6's. but the drop will be perfect!!!
    Nope actually they are regular C6 wheels in Black Chrome. It was a package deal on ebay. They offer 2 different size options for the wheel and tire package. All 4 corners matching or stagered 245 up front and 275 in the rear. The 275's are just as wide as 295's, they call it an oversized 275.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by dafizzman1 View Post
    went 2 months w/o cleaning it and now i kinda need a new one...lol
    Scanlamp was telling me I should have gone with a paper one. While thats probably the better setup, I would hate opening that damn airbox and putting it back together every month.

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

Scanlamp was telling me I should have gone with a paper one. While thats probably the better setup, I would hate opening that damn airbox and putting it back together every month.
    you said its a c4 filter. i might do that cause the filter is $80-$90 that i shouldnt have to spend....lol.....i try not to drive in the rain but thats the killer!!

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

I don't have issues with rain actually. Yup its a C4 Corvette sized filter, I think it was worth it, expecially when my ex gf's dad gave me his filter oil and filter cleaner from K&N.

Thread Information