Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Ws6 pewter

Trouble with a certain town's police....

Okay.... anyone here have a run in with the law and get out of it? Specifically a ... get this.... a 42 mph over a 40, or an 82 in a 40!.... and I was still in stop light area. Also, three days before I got a 48 in a 25.... IN MY OWN DRIVEWAY... anyone know how to argue and win in court on these? Im Illinois, 40 over is a Class A misdemeaner that costs up to $2500, up to a year jail time, possibility of loss of license, with option for permit. I am in a really hard place right now, because the lights it was between are about 7/10 apart according to my car, and he supposedly clocked me at 4/10. My car can probably hit up to 105 at that distance If I tried.... But I didn't do it. Been driving firebirds for six years, without ticket trouble. and then less than a month after I move to college, I get bombed twice in one weekend..... I need help if anyone's got suggestions.

You can also E-mail me at GoldDragon69@excite.com

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

Why are you going 48 in your driveway? Also how is there a speed limit on YOUR driveway. If it's your drive that would be private property, and he can't give you a ticket. As far as the 42 over, doesn't sound good. My advise wold be hire a good lawyer...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Firebird Formula

Yeah, you pretty much screwed yourself, I mean, I can understand enjoying speed, but honestly, if you were actually going that fast or close to that fast, you were just being careless. Good luck though, maybe you'll find a way to get out of it or something. I wouldn't wish that kinda stuff on someone even if I didn't like them.

2000pontiac6
    Def get a good lawyer

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Dude you cannot, and I mean absolutely no way in hell, get a ticket for speeding in your driveway. You can't get a ticket for any traffic offense in your driveway or on your own property. You can go 100MPH, do a powerslide, brake stand it, and do donuts all over your grass and the pigs can't do shit about it. Its private property, therefore there are no enforceable traffic regulations.

Please elaborate, I'm curious on this one...

red
    2000 WS6

Many years ago when I was in high school I made the incredibly stupid mistake of speeding in town. To the tune of 85 in a 25. Not my best moment. Anyway, I had to go to court for it. Before the trial started the DA offered to settle it for 50 in a 25. I would hire a lawyer and try to plea bargain. Won't entirely go away but could be lots better. BTW from IL but happened in IA.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Well i had a ticket that was almost like your driveway one. First thing is i live in the country too let you all know. I had a piece of crap ford explorer for a winter vehicle. One night it was raining and i had too go too town for something so i took the explorer when i was leaving i spun out in the stone driveway and maybe chirped them onto the road. Really how much horsepower is in a 90 explorer. Well the cop was sitting about half mile away watching the house because i had friends out. He said he heard me spinning the tires and getting on it from there took me too court ended of getting a failure too maintain control in my own driveway. Thought you would all get a laugh out of that. Just too let you know your not the only one too get screwed on a ticket. LOL ramair1999@hotmail.com

flat black
    get a lawyer...but sometimes you get lucky..i got pulled one day for doing 135 in a 55 on the highway merging 6 lanes without a blinker and almost clipping an undercover sherriff...he laughed his ass off when i stopped...he thought it was fucking hellarious...so he let me go...basically GET A LAWYER...$300-$500 is a lot better than a $500 ticket...because in the end run that ticket will also cost you on your insurance premiums for the next 3 years

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Just too let you know in ohio if you get out of your ticket and dont get charged a fine for speeding the ticket will still make it too your insurance so really all your getting out of is the fine for speeding. Your pretty much screwed if its the same there so your choice but i would ask a lawyer if its still going too make it too your insurance. Just too let you know check up on everything is what i would do. ramair1999@hotmail.com

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

I heard of a guy who just kept appealing the fine. Everytime they would send him a notice, he sent it back appealing it. This went on for like 2 years, and the charges were dropped. This is in Cali though. But this guy never had to pay a speeding ticket...EVER!!

f**k fords die dodges

black
    2001 pontiac transam

if this stuff really is a bunch o bull then just tell the cop to prove it in court, if he doesnt have the radar prove or video then it ain shit. i got busted for street racing (i was actually racing), but they didnt have any evidence it was the cops word against mine, and because i was a 16 year old kid with a decked out supra they tried to fuck me, but like i said ask for evidence its like te saying goes "if you aint got pics you aint got shit"

Pewter
    2000 Ws6 pewter

He pulled me OVER in my driveway.... like about 2 blocks back is where I was... That one might have been legit.... who knows...
    My Cars Angel and Agony hold they keys to happiness... in the ignition.

Pewter
    2000 Ws6 pewter

Court costs for that would be more than the fine.... You have to pay for every court date.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Fight it. Like smurt said, if they have no proof, then they have no case.

midnight blue
    98 trans-am

I am a cop and take it from experience. You will not beat it unless this guy was totaly wrong. Private property or not there are speed limits. Most cops will enjoy your antics like I do, but in each state there is a speed limit minimum unless it is posted. Usualy it is around 25 MPH. But if he pulled you over in your drive way then he had to either: Be behind you in your drive way or chased you down and you pulled over in your driveway. Just do like me and use your cruise control as much as possible. If you want to play don't get caught!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJ View Post
    I am a cop and take it from experience. You will not beat it unless this guy was totaly wrong. Private property or not there are speed limits. Most cops will enjoy your antics like I do, but in each state there is a speed limit minimum unless it is posted. Usualy it is around 25 MPH. But if he pulled you over in your drive way then he had to either: Be behind you in your drive way or chased you down and you pulled over in your driveway. Just do like me and use your cruise control as much as possible. If you want to play don't get caught!
    Dude there are NO SPEED LIMITS IN YOUR DRIVEWAY. I can drive however I want, and at whatever speed I want, on my own property. There is no speed limit. You cops really need something better to do than harass people for chirping tires and "speeding in their driveways". Its pathetic, it really is, and it makes you all look like assholes.

Black
    01 ws6

Get a lawyer. I just got off a few real bad ones. Best 1000 I ever spent...

Black
    2000 Trans am WS6

I feel your pain, been there... 111 in a 55 in Madison VA when I was in the Marine Corps. Hired a lawyer, then he died before the court date!, they postponed the hearing so I could get another one. End of story, $500 for the lawyer, $800 fine, and 48 hrs in Orange county regional jail. (should have spent more on the lawyer)(or slowed down).

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I got nabbed for 45 in a 25 driving with lights off and blowing a stop all in 1 stop when I was 18.Go get a lawyer. I got 2 dropped and did 4 hrs of trafic school and 1 year stupidvision.

Last of the Breed Pewter02Formula's Avatar

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Firebird Formula

If you got caught doing 82mph in a 45 zone ONLY THREE DAYS after getting caught going 42 in a 25, then you got what was coming to you.

SLOW THE HELL DOWN!

That is all.

Thread Information