Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Trans am worth the price?

So today I saw a black 2000 trans am ws6 6 speed. Tan interior and slp chrome rims. mileage is 110k and the asking price is 7500 from a used car dealership. Now the outside condition is showing 13 years of service to the owners. The clear coat is craking on the back bumper. Someone tried to do the ceta mod on the bottom half of the bumper as well and it is pretty shitty. there is a quarter size dent right behind the drivers door on the quarter panel. The tires will definitely need to be replaced. The inerior is actually in pretty good condition. Their is normal wear on the drivers seat where you slide in. The dash has a crack in it. The passenger side airbag vinyl panel is coming up as it is pretty warped. Now i have not been able to test drive this car and see what she has. My biggest concerns will be the motor and the transmission once i get to that point....now for the next question, what is everyones thoughts?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

You'll definitely want someone (not the dealer) to check your airbags. The description of the pax side would worry me a lot. You would be amazed how often someone has a minor accident that deploys the air bags and doesn't have them replaced. Spend the money for a Carfax a hope that the report shows you more about the history.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    You'll definitely want someone (not the dealer) to check your airbags. The description of the pax side would worry me a lot. You would be amazed how often someone has a minor accident that deploys the air bags and doesn't have them replaced. Spend the money for a Carfax a hope that the report shows you more about the history.
    Def do a Carfax. IMHO, I would stay away from used car dealers. Their prices are inflated. I still believe the best finds can be found on craigslist. That is where I have found all three of my Trans Am's and don't be afraid to look at other cities that are a reasonable drive. I drove 4 and 5 hours for my most TA's.

Depends on the amount of clear coat peeling. If is just on the bumpers you can have those repainted reasonably cheap but if it is multiple spots on the body you would be looking at an all new paint job. Plus, mechanically it may have issues.

GO HAWKEYES!!

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by HerkyBird View Post
    Def do a Carfax. IMHO, I would stay away from used car dealers. Their prices are inflated. I still believe the best finds can be found on craigslist. That is where I have found all three of my Trans Am's and don't be afraid to look at other cities that are a reasonable drive. I drove 4 and 5 hours for my most TA's.
    That's what I did with a Craigslist private party. Did a Car fax, "Used Car" check by the GM dealer with code scans/emissions check (cost one hour labor).

Once they called me and said the car was "very, very clean", I made a weekend trip with the wife from CA to UT (about 10-12 hours). We stayed the weekend and made it a fun trip. She drove one car back and I drove the WS6 back. It was an awesome buy and had plenty of money to make it showroom condition again.
    Last edited by BBATCAR; 02-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    Black 2002 WS6, A4, 3.23, Loaded, K&N, De-baffled, Lid, Ported TB & bypass, CBM GM 799 cast Ported Heads 2.055/1.6 valves, Magnaflow.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Alright thanks guys for the heads up and the tips

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

if you want a manual, you're going to be in for a hell of a time.. I couldn't find one, and when I did it had really high mileage. Searched for 3 months until I gave up and bought mine (automatic, but @ 27k miles for 12,500 it wasn't bad!) Don't mean to bring you down, but you're definitely going to want to test drive it and ask all of the big questions.

And yes like those guys are saying, get a carfax check

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

in my personal experiense... all six years of buying vehicles.. lol used car dealers are sharks that go out to buy vehicles usually don't know much about the mechanical side of things. then buy for cheap sell high and don't do a damn thing mechanically right. Or at least around my area my store manager had to buy from one and the guy payed his neighbor cheap to put breaks on the damn thing... shade tree mechanics idk just my .02

My first thought is spend a little more and find a better one.

Thread Information