Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Trans Am got wrecked.

Long story short, someone pit manuvered me into a 180 spin, and I ended up backwards on a curb. The person who hit me didn't stop. The T/A is also on storage insurance so it's not supposed to be driven except to/from shops for repairs. Well, the good news is that I was on my way home from getting the alignment checked. The bad news is that I forsee the insurance company trying to deny my claim based on some BS excuse they're going to come out with. We shall see on that one.

Here are the pics of the wreck:

The damage...rear bumper, wheels, driver side quater, wrinkles in the passenger quarter, hatch is askew, headlights/hood misaligned, t-tops visibly misaligned, front bumper, steering, etc. Suprisingly, the entire suspension survived and the engine still runs and the trans shifts fine, so that's good. Rear end will have to be disassembled and inspected. Suspension will also be looked over.

After weighing some options, and talking to some friends, I came to the conclusion that the car is done, and I should move on. I'm going to completely strip the car of everything, and swap it all into another F-body. It just so happens, that someone in Norfolk, VA posted up a 1994 Firebird with a blown motor for sale for $500. He said the body and undercarriage looked perfect, and the only thing wrong was the motor. So, my buddy and I drive the 4 hours down there to get this car. It looked straight and the body is fine. The interior is destroyed though...good thing mine survived the wreck. I will also be swapping the front clip and the rear hatch. I have not decided on whether I am going to keep the hardtop from the new bird, or if we're going to work on cutting out spots for the t-tops. More research is required for that...we may just end up cutting the roof off the T/A and rewelding it to the Firebird.

Pic of the car from last night:

While we were driving down to Norfolk, the appraiser came out and looked at the car. He quoted $3400. I'm surprised, I thought it would be a lot higher.

I'm still going to go ahead with the swap. No matter what the body shop does, it will look straight, but it will never go down the track straight again.

If the insurance company cuts me a check, for $2900 (after $500 deductible), I'm just going to bank it and use it to pay for a paint job...I'm thinking Bright Purple Metallic

Anyway, once we start the swap, I will make a new post with a ton of pics following the rebirth of my baby.

Also, if you want any parts off either car, just ask...the worst I can say is "No, I need that part".

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

At least you were not injured. So sorry to see Nymph all bent up. She was an inspiration to the work on our car after I joined this site. RIP Nymph ... you will be missed.

RED
    2001 WS6

Doesn't take much once the rear gets to point of no return! (like when wet out) Well sorry to hear about car and glad that it sounds like everyone OK. Good luck on swap and will be watching for!!

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Good luck with your project,f-ing sucks about Nyph though.what about to ass who wrecked you,they need to be held accountable dor causing a wreck.
    2007 Corvette...stock...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

wrecked my SS awhile back, body shop fixed it, but things dont quite line up, in hind sight i kind of wish they had totaled it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I definitely think you've made the right choice in pulling everything and swapping it into another car. I got in a bad accident once (fell asleep and nearly killed myself in the process) and the insurance company didn't total the car even though it was brand new (800 miles) and had somewhere in the vicinity of 8K in damage (car was around 18K new back then). That car never drove the same once it was fixed up.

Good luck Jeremy. Hope it all comes together for you the way you vision it.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Wow Jeremy! I'm so sorry to hear (and see) that. I'm glad you weren't injured though. Good luck with your new venture

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Glad to hear you are ok.
    Sorry about the car, but I bet the replacement with that motor is a touch quicker. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

It's good to hear your alright man. Sucks what happened, but you've got a good plan. If you ever need any help or an extra set of hands, let me know. I'm not that far from you. Plus I switched jobs so i'm free on weekends

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

Dude that really sucks and hate to see that happen. Good Luck with the swap around, hope this is one is every much of a beast as your black one!

Red
    99 Z28

I am really sorry to hear. Glad to see that you are back on the horse already. Thats one of the best things about our cars is everything interchangeable..

What exactly you looking to get rid of off your car?

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

Glad u are okay !

Red
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cancam99ss View Post
    Glad u are okay !
    x2!! thats the most important thing.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Dang dude, tht sure is sad. Good to know your okay. Whoever hit you will havd there karma come to them.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Thanks for all the kind words guys & gals. Yeah, I'm fine, except that I hit my head on the roll bar, guess I'll be padding that part when the cage is in the "new car".

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with everyone else, Jeremy. Could've been a lot worse. But I think you're going the right way, as you said. What's the expected timeline for the new car?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Agree with everyone else, Jeremy. Could've been a lot worse. But I think you're going the right way, as you said. What's the expected timeline for the new car?
    I want to have the car back on the road by the end of February. I know for a fact that she won't be painted, but she'll be driveable.

The biggest hold-ups I foresee are the transferring of the roll cage to the new car and the t-top conversion. Other than that, everything is a direct swap.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I want to have the car back on the road by the end of February. I know for a fact that she won't be painted, but she'll be driveable.

The biggest hold-ups I foresee are the transferring of the roll cage to the new car and the t-top conversion. Other than that, everything is a direct swap.
    You read my mind ! I would be interested to know the outcome of the roll cage and t-top conversion. Should be some interesting install pictures for all of us here. Looking forward to hearing more as you go along. Count your blessings and have a Happy New Year.

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

T-top conversions are not that difficult from what I've seen. It's just a matter cutting the roof skin off, the structure underneath is already cut out for t-tops its just a matter of putting the weatherstripping on. As for the jerk who hit you and did'nt stop, may his ass suffer a fate worse than death

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Glad to hear you're ok sorry something like this had to happen to such a beautiful car,but the most important thing is that you're alive and well,some ppl dont care about others he or she did nt know or cared what kind of state you were in you could have been dying & they just drove off like nothing happened,i cant see how a person can be so insensitive,the other night i saw a guy wreck his T/A on the freeway it was raining didnt know if he lost control,but the front end was smashed & he did a 360 & ended up facing oncoming traffic,i felt bad for that guy i wish i could have helped him but i was in the far left lane & traffic was flowing,i cant wait to see the process of your new car,good luck

Thread Information