Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

Track trips and tips...

Arright so I've done most of the basic bolt ons, just like most everyone else...First time out to the track with it tonight and I cannot get it to hook up off the line for anything!! I'd burn down the track in 1st and wouldent grab until I shifted into 2nd or let off... the best time I could get was a 14. Anyone have any secrets or tips & such for the next time out?? I KNOW the car can do better that 14... but without goin all out for some drag radials...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Feather that throttle.
    Learn the clutch engagement points and slip it a touch out of the hole.

The M6 takes practice. I was horrible my first few times out.

Red
    2002 Transam

The last pass before they shut down the track, I actually did kinda play with the clutch on the launch but when it went into 2nd the clutch was just slippin horribly so I made a nice 18s run!!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Clutch is slipping??
    Isn't currently worth the price of admission for you until that is taken care of.

I didn't race for about a year before the 402 swap because my stock clutch was a pile.

Red
    2001 ws6

ya if ur clutch is slipping no point in running the car, get that fixed and just practice your launches on the street, maybe invest in some VHT burnout spray to get ur tires nice a sticky but then you run the risk of the rear since the car is going to hook now, keep practicing, dont get discouraged

Red
    2002 Transam

hrm... What would be a decent clutch disc for the m6? Dont really need top of the line, but dont wanna go with advance's brand... any suggestions? Any idea what baseline time is for the t/a?

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

LS7 Clutch Scoggindickey Has The Kit Over 300 Bucks Good Price
    For a Good Clutch
    www.fquick.com/dillard99
    SLP Lid,SLP Ram Induction,SLP Elbows,Headers Pacesetters Coated LT's, True Dual 3"Custom Pipes No Muffs /Cats,Put Me @ 346hp 358Tq Next TSP's
    Magic3 237in/242ex 112lsa SLP Underdrive,dual timing,Slp Oil Pump, Sphon Sway Bars,6point Roll Cage,Trick Flows =450+rwhp "Sold"

Red
    2001 ws6

mods? i know u said basic bolt ons but does that include headers? tune? ect.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i have seen street tires hook better at the track without a full burnout. just enough to get the water off.

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

last night was also my first night at the track. i ran a best time of 13.8 at 101 mph ....ive never been on a tree until last night so im unfamiliar with the base times on these ....but i was hookin like crazy with all season kumho tires and auto tranny.

black
    2002 WS6

Ok, first off go around the water and don't do a long ass burn out, just give the tires a spin to clean them up a bit. Other then that, the rest is practice and learning. With a pbetter clutch for sure.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Ok, first off go around the water and don't do a long ass burn out, just give the tires a spin to clean them up a bit. Other then that, the rest is practice and learning. With a pbetter clutch for sure.
    x2 street tires should never go through the water box, not only did you still have water on your tires when you went but you were leaving water on the track for the people behind you I know its your first time but common sense goes along way. Start off launcing the car at idle sounds like you need some practice pretty bad.

Also why are you aginst DRs ? If your afraid to break the rear end the track is not the place for you.....

Red
    2002 Transam

Basically, I have the slp lid, the stock ls6 intake, flowmaster cat-back,and a decent tune... I think i'm definatly going to upgrade the clutch. I'm at 107,000 so its about time anyway. The last run I did go around the box and back into it, but that was the one when my clutch slipped, then they closed the track. and no. i'm not afraid of breaking the rear end, i'm not putting all that much stress on it. i'm not against drag radials but on a small budget...Cant really afford rims and tires, especially dr's right now. Just headin down to the track to have some fun...not tryin to break records or anything......

Red
    2002 Transam

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

What do ya'll think about this clutch??

black trans am

that clutch is alsome i have it in my 2000 t/a with a alum fly wheel. if u go with it you are going to want to get a ligher fly wheel b/c the pressure pllate is thicker then the little week stock one, also note that that kid does not come with any thing so u might want to get ARP bolts and get a new pilot bering. and when ur at the track air down the rear tires to 20 or less i start at 20 psi and go down b y 2 or 3 if i need to #2 have less then 1/2 a tank of gas and use good gas like shell vpower not sheetz gas. #3 take the spare tire out. #4 go to the track on a nice warm bright day the track will hook better when its warm. # 5 when ur at the track do a little brun out . when ur at the tree rev up to 2500 - 3k drop the clucth @ the 3 yellow light not on the green ur car is going to take 1/2 sec or so to move. do nit stand on the gas on the green keep it at the same spot that u had it to get it reved up once it hooks up then stand on it. and then it all urs. i got a lil bit more then u and i run 12.9s on street tires and broke my stock axles i have lid bellow alum fly wheel and ex and a set of 255 street tires that suck on the track imp but i got a 12.9 out of it #1 rule is to have fun and try not to break things lol

black trans am

if u have any more ? about that clutch kit pm me and i will let u know, its really hard ar first but once it broken in it feels like stock with more snap it makes a bunck of noise b4 it breaks in but it gets quiter

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would never get an aluminum flywheel unless I had an AutoX/Road Course car.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I would never get an aluminum flywheel unless I had an AutoX/Road Course car.
    how come mr. luos? i don't need to upgrade my clutch yet (hopefully) but i was thinking of getting the ls7 and a lightened flywheel if possible. But my car is really just street only, no track time whatsoever, but i wouldn't mind goin there someday.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Too light.
    The balance of the driveline is off with a light flywheel. Can effect the crank, tranny, and other things.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

so are you saying that any lightweight flywheel isn't a good idea, or just aluminum? i'd like to get a lightened one to see how much faster it revs but it wont be worth it if shit gets messed up...

Thread Information