Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tired of it.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

tired of it.

after being forced to use my bird as my daily driver, i have come to realize that the interior in these cars are shit. panels squeaking, vents breaking, window coming off the track, driver side exterior door handle not functioning anymore, sun visors breaking off, console lid separating, and so on....and on....i have come to accept this, but the ol lady is constantly demoralizing the car. not the whole car, just the interior. and it doesnt help that the rear is makin noise, brakes need replaced while this is all happening, and not to mention the ac hose came loose from the retainer on the fan shroud and fell against the water pump pulley and rubbed a hole in the hose...now there is no ac in the unforgiving texas heat. i still love the car, but goddamnit, it aint meant to be a daily driver in the age that it is. there used to be a certain joy i got when i woke up on saturday and raised the garage door, pulled her out and gave her a bath and cruised around rackin the pipes and squealing the tires. now when i get in it, i usually wonder whats next to break, wishing i didnt have to drive it.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Time to dig in, get dirty, and fix all that shit. You can be proactive after you get all that caught up. I have been trying to be proactive to the best of my ability($$$), and it is paying off. Belts, hoses, fluids, tie rod ends, ball joints, filters, it all helps out. Eventually we will have to replace everything in these cars. GM didn't design em to last this long. It doesn't make good business sense. But, fixing, repairing, replacing worn out parts makes good sense to us. A lot cheaper than going out and buying another one that will wear out just as quick. And, we didnt get the only crappy interior GM made. They are still at it.

pewter
    99 trans am

i agree totally about fixing everything, unfortunately, she doesnt see it that way. the more i spend, the more she wants to get rid of it. i will never sell the car (if i can help it). i just put the engine in it a few months ago, and it still runs great, but that costed less than what i need to spend on the rest of the car...my ol lady is a penny pincher, which is bitter sweet because while we aint hurtin for money, its like shaving my balls with a weedeater tryin to get the ok to buy anything.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

My advice would be to find a cheap beater. I'm currently looking for something else at the moment. I love driving mine, but some days i wish i had something more comfortable.

pewter
    99 trans am

i actually find the car comfortable to drive....seats go in any position i could ask for....plenty of leg room....i had a buick as my dd, but my sister needed a car since her ex took hers, so i sold her the buick....i bought the volkswagen, but thats a ways off from being ready to drive.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I don't mind the interior much, mostly people riding shotgun. It's loud, smells like exhaust all the time, ride is pretty stiff, and it's got its squeaks here and there. I do love her though

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i guess as a daily driver it is easy to get tired of,i had to drive mine for a few days last week and felt like theres no way i can drive this car everyday,i dont think they were intended to be used as a daily driver,for that reason i dont think no sports car is,and with things breaking that makes you feel that way even more,i hope you can get things fixed,im the same way my tolerance is low when things start falling apart IMO these cars are for weekend and special occassion use only and women dont see cars as us guys see them,believe me i go through the same with my girl LoL!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

My wife tells me if I ever decided to sell my Ws6 she'd kill me. She is into cars though and is all for me fixing anything that breaks. I drove it as a DD from October 2007 until this last January and it was fine to drive. It doesn't really squeak and between my Charger Daytona and the Trans Am, the TAs seats are more comfortable. I hope you can get everything fixed though, so it doesn't bother you.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

My wife has been daily driving 4th gens since the first new one in 97. Put well over 100k miles and 10 years on the first one without a single issue.

I've never had the amount of problems with all 4 4th gens we've had that you listed in one paragraph jivass But Most all of what you listed are very minor repairs that I would expect with a 10-15 year old car.

Like mentioned, I'm proactive with our cars, and you have to be since I drive 40 year old vehicles everyday and depend on them. We've come to the conclusion that it's much easier, and cheaper, to just maintain and repair an old car than it is to buy a brand new one (ALOT cheaper).

I'm sure once your female companion realizes that,,,she might be more understanding. You could always buy a new car every 5 years and have a $5-600 a month car payment for the rest of your life See what I mean?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I don't keep any car/truck past 130k unless I deside to project the entire vehicle.

@ 130k.. EVERYTHING needs gone over or replaced.

4th gens are a dime a dozen around here. Junk yards are full of them too.

They may not be a prolific as the 3rd gen was (a better car anways imho) but never the less,, still everywhere.

Can't see how throwing money at a worn out vehicle is cheaper than a "new" one or low mileage used.

Hardly,, the first time you need to replace a trany or engine, etc.

If this happens to my H3, I pay $100.00 deductable and get new ones.

You can't even touch a new engine or trany for 100 bucks! Not even a remanned one, and certainly not a used one either.

Camaro nickled and dimed me from the day the warranty was done.

Though I still held on to it and kept it spotless and maintained for years, it was getting to be rediculas.

Everytime I got in the mood to mod it, I had to spend just to keep it running stock! FML

Sick of it? You bet.. Will there be another Camaro in my driveway? You can count on it! XD

Like any performance piece of equipment (which is what ANY vehicle is "equipment") you have to go into it knowing "that's gonna need to be worked on".

Everything and anything man made wears out.

All in all it's the nature of the beast, always has been and likely always will be.

It boils down to "personal cost" rather than monitary means really. If it's going to drive a wedge between myself and my wife?

It's gone simple as that,, or it sits for another time.

Just my bucks worth.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-03-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Can't see how throwing money at a worn out vehicle is cheaper than a "new" one or low mileage used.

Hardly,, the first time you need to replace a trany or engine, etc.

That's an easy one, I'll break it down

Any new car I would consider is an easy $40K or more. With taxes and payments,,,that's going to be an easy $5-600 car payment every month for a few years. You end up paying more for the car with taxes. Without getting into all the math we'll keep it simple and just call it an even $45k over the period of the loan (and that's a light estimate).
    Tags and insurance are also a killer,,,,as with any loan on a vehicle requires complete and full coverage. (Depending on your state minimum requirements where you live) that could be 100/300/300 minimum coverage, some more, some less. But insurance none the less will be $1000-$1500 or more per year. Here in AZ they charge you license fee's based on the value of the vehicle. If I bought a $45k car my tags every year can be as much as $3-$400.

When you add all that up over the span of a 5 years,,,,it's pretty damn expensive. After 5 years I'll have over 100k miles on it,,,so it's time to do this all over again....

Then you have to look at the depreciation when it comes time to trade it in on the next new car and do this all over again. It's more than half,,, You lose your ass. That's alot of money pissed away. And to do it all over again for another 5 years?? Just not worth it from my point of veiw But I know people that do it.

It's much cheaper to simply toss a $5000 crate engine in that used car and keep driving it another 5 years or 100k miles All the little tid bits and nickle and dime repairs won't even come close to what you'll spend on a new car over that course of time. Insurance is cheaper, tags are cheaper, and no car payments is the best part That fact that I'm my own mechanic makes this an even more logical choice.

You only have to make 10 months of car payments on that new car and it will pay for that crate engine and that new car isn't even 1/5th of the way towards being paid off yet. Let that sink in for a minute
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-03-2012 at 07:51 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's an easy one, I'll break it down

Any new car I would consider is an easy $40K or more. With taxes and payments,,,that's going to be an easy $5-600 car payment every month for a few years. You end up paying more for the car with taxes. Without getting into all the math we'll keep it simple and just call it an even $45k over the period of the loan (and that's a light estimate).
    Tags and insurance are also a killer,,,,as with any loan on a vehicle requires complete and full coverage. (Depending on your state minimum requirements where you live) that could be 100/300/300 minimum coverage, some more, some less. But insurance none the less will be $1000-$1500 or more per year. Here in AZ they charge you license fee's based on the value of the vehicle. If I bought a $45k car my tags every year can be as much as $3-$400.

When you add all that up over the span of a 5 years,,,,it's pretty damn expensive. After 5 years I'll have over 100k miles on it,,,so it's time to do this all over again....

Then you have to look at the depreciation when it comes time to trade it in on the next new car and do this all over again. It's more than half,,, You lose your ass. That's alot of money pissed away. And to do it all over again for another 5 years?? Just not worth it from my point of veiw But I know people that do it.

It's much cheaper to simply toss a $5000 crate engine in that used car and keep driving it another 5 years or 100k miles All the little tid bits and nickle and dime repairs won't even come close to what you'll spend on a new car over that course of time. Insurance is cheaper, tags are cheaper, and no car payments is the best part That fact that I'm my own mechanic makes this an even more logical choice.

You only have to make 10 months of car payments on that new car and it will pay for that crate engine and that new car isn't even 1/5th of the way towards being paid off yet. Let that sink in for a minute
    You left out depreciation of old vehicle..
    That's why they call me "cash".. No payments..XD

Full coverage, and a warranty (the camaro paid for) not having to worry about anything but changing my light bulbs, wiper blades and belts to a 100k,, priceless..

I use the Camaro plates on the Hummer..XD
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-03-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added to
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Oh and for the record, it was 3000 for a new 3800 and ~ 1500 or so for a new trany.

Whole car only worth 2600.. Profit??

New or "newer" is cheaper..XD

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

FBJ Youre rite , its alot cheaper to maintain an older vehicle than to buy a brand new one, But theres also the time it takes do it. Which to some people isnt worth it. They would rather spend the money on a new vehicle and have a warranty to fall back on.

pewter
    99 trans am

i bought my engine with 78k miles for $800 with 6mth warranty.....the car has 150k miles on it.

You left out depreciation of old vehicle..
    The old vehicles I use actually A-preciate It's a win win.

Oh and for the record, it was 3000 for a new 3800 and ~ 1500 or so for a new trany.

Whole car only worth 2600.. Profit??
    You missed the point,,,it's not about profit of the vehicle. It's keeping the vehicle for years and years as daily transportation without the thought of selling to make money. If you are in the business to sell cars and make money,,,you need to dive into 50's and 60's vintage stuff, or even pre-war,,,because the newer stuff just aint goona do it for ya

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    FBJ Youre rite , its alot cheaper to maintain an older vehicle than to buy a brand new one, But theres also the time it takes do it. Which to some people isnt worth it. They would rather spend the money on a new vehicle and have a warranty to fall back on.
    I find that most just don't have the "know how" to work on one extensively. Oil changes and maybe brakes are as far as it goes for most people, and paying a mechanic then starts to outweigh the cost benefit of keeping and maintaining an older car.
    Others don't have the time,,,,or are just simply lazy and would rather spend tens of thousands of $$$$$ every few years for a new car. I understand that, I really do, I have friends that do it. It's just not for me.

There are only a few new cars I'd even care to own,,,and those are maybe a 5.0 mustang or GT500, I like the Caddy CTS-V, I like the Challenger, and I wouldn't mind having a new 1 ton Duramax But that's about it, and all of them are too expensive to interest me. I can think of plenty of vintage iron I'd rather spend that kind of dough on and always get my money in return down the road. Until then I'll keep my $60k+ in the bank and maintain what I have.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    My advice would be to find a cheap beater. I'm currently looking for something else at the moment. I love driving mine, but some days i wish i had something more comfortable.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

In my years of driving, I have only owned four cars, including the GTO. The GTO is the first car I have financed, first V8, first RWD and first Pontiac(first 3 were Chevys). I can say that I love my car and it is also a project. And I have met the LAZY people as FBJ previously posted. They really annoy me. It's like the folks who lease a car, neglect it, then bitch about getting the bill from the bank for mile overages and damages. My GTO will be in my posession for a VERY long time. I bought my car for ME. These folks out here think money cures everything. There are some things money cannot buy or make disappear.

Mike, just fix the bird and enjoy it. You came too far with it to just let it go. And if others bitch about the car, they really need to take a step back and ask themself if they even had the RIGHT to bitch. But that's just me.
    Last edited by cammed goat; 09-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Thread Information