Thread: Tire sizes

pewter
    2000 WS6

Smile Tire sizes

Hi. My name is Dalton and I got a 2000 Pontiac Trans am WS6 back in march and the tires on it are 275s but they were made in january of 02... so they are kinda... burnout fodder to put it simply. Reason I am on a forum is to ask how wide of a tire can I fit without rubbing. google searching for the last 10 minutes just brings up the factory sizes. Id like to put 285s but if they are going to rub Ill just stick to 275s. Any help would be awesome and thank you. Also happy friday

Bright Red
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by DKnopf View Post
    Hi. My name is Dalton and I got a 2000 Pontiac Trans am WS6 back in march and the tires on it are 275s but they were made in january of 02... so they are kinda... burnout fodder to put it simply. Reason I am on a forum is to ask how wide of a tire can I fit without rubbing. google searching for the last 10 minutes just brings up the factory sizes. Id like to put 285s but if they are going to rub Ill just stick to 275s. Any help would be awesome and thank you. Also happy friday

Bright Red
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

Greetings I just replaced my 02 WS6 tires only 9200 miles on them "original" with 275/40/17 Nitto's ! For what it's worth, just stay with the 275 and save you and your car any grief ! Dale "412"

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Dalton, another thing to remember is that if you go to a non-stock size tire that is different front to back (lots of people want a wider rear tire), you must ensure that the overall diameter of the tire is very close front to back otherwise the ABS system will be unhappy and either not work correctly or throw a code. Not a difficult thing to get the diameter figured out (check the specs on Tire Rack or other tire web sites) and run a slightly lower sidewall on the back to get a bigger tread footprint. Also important to consider is if you go with different size front and rear tires you will no longer be able to rotate them so you tire life will be affected.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Thread Information