Thread: tight steering

blue

tight steering

I've had my T/A for about 4 weeks and one question i've have is about the tight steering. What I mean by tight is its very hard to turn the wheel as compared to my 2008 silverado. My car supposedly has a new PS pump and it doesn't whine or anything but it almost feels like there is no power steering.
    Are they all like this?

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

thats how all the ls1 trans am feel and if you put bigger wheels like i have its even worse.It takes getting used to it, its a sports car.

sunset orange metallic
    2002 T/A convertible

The steering is "tight". I drove my cousin's '01 Vette and his steering was like an old Caddy compared to mine. One finger on the wheel, no pressure needed to turn it. It felt wierd considering it's a Vette.

blue

it sounds like it is normal. Thats a good thing.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i thought my steering was real tight too when i first got my car, but i guess it was normal..

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

our pumps suck anyways..but yes we have a tight feeling steering response

Navy blue metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

good to know I thought it was weird that my jeep felt easier to steer with 33s, but I chalked it up to it being a sports car.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

haha i like your avatar.. so smooth

White
    1998 Trans Am

I actually like the tight steering especially when pushing it hard in the backroads. My 93 5.0 is a 1 finger driver but makes it.less comfortable when taking hard corners at the cars limits.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I actually like the tight steering especially when pushing it hard in the backroads. My 93 5.0 is a 1 finger driver but makes it.less comfortable when taking hard corners at the cars limits.
    Oh yeah i totally agree. For the handling aspect of it i love the tight steering. I hate it being loose and soft, makes it feel like youre going to crash.

White
    1998 Trans Am

The original reason I got this car was I liked the LS1 more than the LT1 look when and the new block design as well as the steering feel were why I chose this over the new LT1 leftover at the lot and the power difference between this and the 98 and 99 mustang GT's and Cobra's I drove. Now with the new springs, struts, sway bars, and 18" staggered wheel setup it has a great solid feel with the tight steering at high speed on the nice backroads out here.

Navy blue metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yeah the easy steering is good for my jeep on the trails but I like the tight steering cause it gives me feed back. Where with the loose I think I would cut the wheel way to sharp and over shoot

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Because larger vehicles such as trucks, large cars, and luxury cars, have fully hydrolic steering. We have hydrolic assist due to the fact that we are sports cars and usually also means we get more feed back from the wheel/road too.. Some setups actually get tighter with speed..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Because larger vehicles such as trucks, large cars, and luxury cars, have fully hydrolic steering. We have hydrolic assist due to the fact that we are sports cars and usually also means we get more feed back from the wheel/road too.. Some setups actually get tighter with speed..
    hmm good info

maybe not
    Last edited by shady milkman; 10-06-2010 at 07:58 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

What?? no. I can't think of a single vehicle on the road that has full hydraulic steering. Every car (that I know of) has hydraulic or electric assisted steering.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    What?? no. I can't think of a single vehicle on the road that has full hydraulic steering. Every car (that I know of) has hydraulic or electric assisted steering.
    I thought/heard there were setups that produced more power than others?. I guess I worded it wrong.. Just that some steering setups turn with less input than others, and react differently according to speed, depending on make model/perf package..

blue

window rattle

This is a great place!!! Thanks for all the replies. Since ya'll answered that so quickly how about this: When the windows are down they rattle at every bump in the road. I adjusted the window for a better seal (per the sticky) and didn't see anything broken. So what is causing this? Is this normal and is there a fix for it? Thanks again.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Talking

I thought/heard there were setups that produced more power than others?. I guess I worded it wrong.. Just that some steering setups turn with less input than others, and react differently according to speed, depending on make model/perf package..
    I think I know what you're talking about now. I call it variable assist power steering. You can steer with you pinky finger at slow speeds and have tight, less assisted steering at higher speeds.
    When I think full hydraulic steering, I think rock crawlers and monster trucks that use hydraulic rams to steer the wheels.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I think I know what you're talking about now. I call it variable assist power steering. You can steer with you pinky finger at slow speeds and have tight, less assisted steering at higher speeds.
    When I think full hydraulic steering, I think rock crawlers and monster trucks that use hydraulic rams to steer the wheels.
    I understand, i did'nt mean anything as serious like rock crawlers use.. My bad..

Thread Information