Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Thinking of getting a WS6

I recently sold my daily driver after attending a road rally on my Yamaha. I'm looking for a daily driver that is fun to drive, with plenty of power and will handle the curvy back roads of TN at a spirited pace. A major plus will being able to run with the M series BMW's and 370 Z's that I ran with in the road rally.

When a friend of mine heard what I was looking for, he told me about his mint condition WS6 sitting in his garage that he wants to sell to get a 2012 Camaro.

So, what are some pro's and con's of the WS6 for what I want....

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

I don't have a lot of time to post this 'cause I gotta head to work but quickly:
    Pros: Plenty of power, enough to run with M3's (all except the absolute newest, those can be trouble) and certainly any Z. Nice looks, guaranteed to turn heads, agressive sound, and a nice torquey powerband. Responds very well to mods.

Cons: Solid axel, while ideal for drag, isn't for curvy. IRS (vettes) dominate "curvy roads". Upside being, so what if you slide, who cares, it can still make those turns =P. In any case, there's more but I gotta head off, others will chime in. I love my W and I can't say too many bad things about it. For what you want, it'll work juuuuust fine.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

ant is right on but a pro it there are parts for this car that make to handle like its on rails. as for cons the only one i can think of is you dont have one yet. and i may be selling the one i have

I'm going to head to look at it soon (hopefully befor I go on Vacation later this week). He has already done suspension work on the vehicle (springs, struts and shocks), axle gearing, Tranny build (auto), exhaust, free flow air filter and a couple of other mods. I cant wait to take it for a test drive,,,,

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

make sure you find out what kind of parts are on it as in shocks are they koin's, kyb's you get what i mean

will do... I just got back from vacation and will be heading up there to pick up the Suburban later this week... gonna check her out while I'm there.....

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

ws6's are awesome i had mine since 2006 and 15k later of upgrades and im lovin it

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

I love my ws6 I picked up a few months ago and do daily drive it. It rides confortable for cruisin and yes the back end like to swing out on you sometimes in the corners. Plenty of power and decent fuel mileage when cruisin. Mine is completly stock and most people don't even want to race as it just looks mean. So far the best race I have had is a highly modified 90 Camaro that I smoked on the freeway. These cars do very well and you can get them at good prices.

I picked up my 01 ws6 convertible - completely stock with 37K miles for 13K.
    2001 Triple Black Ws6 Convertible 6-speed
    1 of 286 made that year.
    Completely Stock.

White
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I bought mine a few months ago and man has it been a blast so far. I enjoy this car more than my restored '69 Camaro that I owned for 6 years. Just started getting into doing some mods...I can see that this will become an addiction. I agree with the other comments so far...probably the best thing about these cars is that they are just a steal right now price wise. I bought my 40K mile '01 WS6 for $14K, with my small trade and a little cash down (plus tax, title, license) my loan was for $13K. Not too bad for a car that can run the way that does.

OK, so I got a little more information on the TA..... NOT A WS6 but a modded TA. He stated that the WS6 ram air hood and breather box has been added, Springs, struts, shocks all upgraded. Breaks upgraded, rear end geared and something else I can not remember right now.

So what are the big differences in the TA with and without the WS6 performance packages? Yea, I'm sure this is covered somewhere and am planning on brousing some more and trying to find is, but some quick info would be appriciated. I'm planning on roadtripping to look at it tomorrow....

Zig

OK... So I found a thread with lots of info on the differences in the models.... so disregard the noob not searching question I'm going to go check it out and see. It seems to be a fair price with the mods if it is in the excellent shape he said it's in....

White
    2001 Trans Am WS6

What color and price?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

There really isn't that big a difference,swaybars,17"wheels,hood,price tag.

These cars are quite capable on a road course or autocross,they won the GT Championship 7/9 years in the: IMSA Enduro Series,Mottorola Cup and The Enduro Series for Showroom Stock Cars,these were 3 Hour races that punished cars.

They beat cars costing up to 4/5 times as much Porsche 944,Ferrari 348/355,Toyota Supra Turbo,Nissan 300 ZX Turbo,RX7 Turbo,BMW M3,Mustang Cobra R (they brought it in as a wringer in 99 and still couldn't knock off the General

I am sure it will be love at first drive,these cars were a good value new and they are a great performance value buy now.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

you still need to find out what parts on on it like are the shocks kyb's koni's or what? if its a bunch of chap crap or did they spend the coin for you to get a good deal

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have a TA with a ws6 hood and am happy. The ws6 is nicer.if you wanna keep it stock but I modded all my suspension and motor so it depends what you want . Get a ws6 if you wanna stay mostly stock but.a plain TA is cheaper and if your like me their wouldn't be much ws6 left on the car.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I have a TA with a ws6 hood and am happy. The ws6 is nicer.if you wanna keep it stock but I modded all my suspension and motor so it depends what you want . Get a ws6 if you wanna stay mostly stock but.a plain TA is cheaper and if your like me their wouldn't be much ws6 left on the car.
    this is tru to all the stuff that makes it a ws6 is off my car the only thing left of the stock ws6 is the airbox base and emeblem on the back
    "The Camaro SS looks like it could kick your ass. The Trans Am WS6 looks like its on its way over to do it."

treat stressful situation like a dog. if you can't eat or hump it, then piss on it and walk away.

keep your foot in it,till you see god

Thanks for all of the feed back.. You guys (and gals?) rock....
    I got a little more info on it but not everything. It is a dark Navy blue (really dark) colored 2001. Motor mods include the factory WS-6 air box with free flow filter, WS-6 Ram air hood, headers (Hooker), Dynomax exhaust (Y pipe, no cats), LS6 intake manifold, some pulley thing I cant remember, he has pulled the motor and replaced all seals and gaskets, (not a drop on the floor where it has sat for weeks and she fired right up with barely poping the starter...sounded SWEET too). Tranny was done less the 10K ago, rear end has been geared with 3.73 R&P from GM. Suspension... I cant remember but it was a good name brand. This guy has been working on my rigs (4x4's and daily drivers) for 12-15 years and he does not half ass do anything, so I'm sure the springs, shocks and struts are good stuff.

The best part... he still has his factory....everything, I could put it back to stock or sell off the stock items if needed.

The only con's he showed/stated: Crack in door pannel (common from what I have read) and oversized exhaust vibrates on floor pan when under heavy acceleration (he stated that this was a common thing due to trying to keep the pipes up off the asphalt), and a wear spot on the drivers seat (minimal).

This thing is in close to show car condition, not a spot on the paint, not a spec of dirt under the hood, I was shocked... and all for $9K. I will be going to test drive it later this week (when we go pick up the Vette) and I will grab lots of detailed pics and let you know how it drives.

So, from what I stated, does it sound like a good price? Keep in mind, when I said clean, this thing is incredable...

Zig

Just testing something... Just typed out all the details on the ride and was redirected to 'mods must approve your post' thing... Is that because I'm a noob? I have not had that happen before.

OK it did it again. I will wait and see if it gets approved.... If a mod reads this, sorry for the double post... I thought I hit a glitch. Can you please let me know why this posts but my other needed approval so I can avoid in the future?
    Last edited by Zukipilot; 07-26-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: add information

Guess not, let me try this again....

I got more detalis on the TA... It's a navy blue (very dark navy) 2001 TA in almost show car condition. Only flaws are small crack in the door pannel (said it was common with these) and the custom exhaust will vibrate on the floor pan when your really getting on it (said this is also common when doing the oversized custom exhaust, due to keeping the pipes as high as possible to keep off the asphalt).

Mods: WS6 air box and hood leading to an LS6 intake, motor has been pulled and all new seals and gaskets have been replaced, timing chain done and something else (pulley?) that I cant remember. The exhaust is Hooker headers flowing out through a Dynomax Y pipe, catless exhaust. Tranny has been redone less than 10K ago. Reat end has been re-geared with 3.73 R&P from GM. The springs, struts and shocks are aftermarket, and from a good name brand company, but I can not remember wich one, and the same for the breaks. But this guy has worked on my rides for 10-15 years and does not half ass do anything. Plus, he is an avid racer (track and drag) and built this for him to enjoy... so I know it's done good.

I'm going later this week to do the test drive, if I like how it drives and rides, I think I'm gonna get it... I dont think I can beat the bang for the buck at $9K. That's just below stock retail for good condition non WS6 and this is in excellent condition....

Zig

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The system just does that. Usually its a link or a picture that triggers "moderated" posts. Looks like the length of your post triggered a spam warning moderation. As your post count rises, it won't happen much anymore. Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 07-27-2011 at 03:51 AM.

Thread Information