Thinking about getting a WS6

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting a WS6 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ...

Dark copper
    1968 firebird

Thinking about getting a WS6

Iím considering getting a 98-02 WS6. Is there anything to be aware of when looking at these cars? I am familiar with the LT1 cars but have been out of the 4th gen f body game for a while. Also, where is a good place to find cars for sale? Doesnít seem to be many on this site.

NBM
    00SS

Marketplace and autotrader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now greybat66

navy blue metalic
    1998 trans am conv

check the stickies they provide you with all the information you need.Welcome to the ls1 world.

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am

I love mine, when its working... I fell into the CarFax and inspection agency trap as they both missed a ton of things that would have changed my purchase strategy. I found mine online in Chicago (doing a nation wide search). I tried all the online sites for classic and sporting cars. It's really hard to buy long distance and took about a month from contact to arriving at my door. The dealership that bought the car did so at an auction in California so they knew nothing about it, has its advantages and disadvantages. That was easier than working with an owner as the dealership has some legal obligations they have to follow and reputations to keep. They are also not emotionally attached to the car and have a better negotiating tolerance.

I searched for a little over a month to finally find one with the miles and condition I was willing to accept. It breaks down to what you want the car for and price point you can accept verses the market. I could have gotten heavily modified versions far cheaper but the potential pitfalls in repairs and fixing other's ideas of how to improve a car wasn't what I wanted. Be patient and cast a wide net.

Look out for missing or unknown documentation. If any work was done to make the car faster find out who did the work (owner/friend or a legit shop) and when/mileage of the work. Check the usual. 4th gen interiors have well documented dash and door panel issues. Electronics are old and you need to confirm all is working well. The cars have weaker rear ends, 10 bolts, that often get swapped out for 12 bolts. Find out if any deletes were done, skip shift delete, ignition key resistor delete, security system delete, etc. Interior parts are harder to find and many require finding a parted out car so be firm on this part of the car being in working order. The sail panel on the top has a well documented issue so find out if this was fixed or not. I would be cautious getting into someone else's project car as they may have just given up and are moving on to the next hot thing.
    2002 Pontiac CETA #1315

Stock Engine, McLeod clutch kit/Tick MC in T56, stock suspension

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

You will LOVE an WS6.

First of all I had 3 Firebirds simply because I like the body style, then I wreaked my 3rd Firebird and in need of another one, I found a Formula Firebird at a used car dealership - at first I thought the stearing was a bit tight but I loved the body style. So I bought it.

With the help of this site I discovered I had a Firebird Formula WS6 even tho the wheel hubs read WS6 (didn't know what that meant).

You will find out that it handles a lot better and that it has little to no body roll when you make turns.

As you can see I have a 2002 Firebird Formula that has no WS6 because Pontiac quit making Formulas with an WS6 in '99 or 2000. I would love it to be a WS6 but I highly dought I will find another Formula this nice every again.

Dark copper
    1968 firebird

I have no doubt that I would love a WS6. I had a 93 TA that I modified and enjoyed for years before selling it to finish my 68 Firebird. I’m not sure what they are really selling for though. I’m not looking to spend $25000+ that I am seeing them listed for on ebay

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Keep checking Autotrader.com or other car sales sites, you can even ask a used car salesman that goes to car auctions to call you when he finds what your looking for. I would stay away form the salesman that what a down payment before they look because they will buy the first Firebird they see, no matter what kind of shape its in just to fill the contract.

Good luck finding one, keep looking you will find one sooner or later.

NBM
    00SS

I have a red 02. Itís not posted here but if interested PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information