Black
    1995 Firebird

Things you CAN'T remove (legally)?

Been doing some work on my Firebird lately, and even brainstorming some ideas. My question is what are some things you CAN'T remove legally? I'm sure plenty of people have done X thing to their car, but doesn't mean it's legal lol.

For example I heard you still have to keep the stock seat belts (and wear it) even if you get a 5-point harness? Also what about weight removing tactics such as removing the front/rear impact bars, and foam absorber/egg crates? Yeah I know your f'ed if you get in a wreck, but is it illegal?

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
    Been doing some work on my Firebird lately, and even brainstorming some ideas. My question is what are some things you CAN'T remove legally? I'm sure plenty of people have done X thing to their car, but doesn't mean it's legal lol.

For example I heard you still have to keep the stock seat belts (and wear it) even if you get a 5-point harness? Also what about weight removing tactics such as removing the front/rear impact bars, and foam absorber/egg crates? Yeah I know your f'ed if you get in a wreck, but is it illegal?
    I have removed a lot of different things from my car. All the way from half the exhaust, running w/o cats, windshield wipers, bumper supports, door bars, etc...

Yes people do do it. I have NO CLUE what would be legal. Every state is different. Vehicle safety code is what you want to look at.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

cant remove any emission device from your vehicle ( i believe that is federal law) I believe there is a law about glass..like you cant run lexan or shit like race cars have..needs to be oem ...

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by firebird phoenix View Post
    been doing some work on my firebird lately, and even brainstorming some ideas. My question is what are some things you can't remove legally? I'm sure plenty of people have done x thing to their car, but doesn't mean it's legal lol.

For example i heard you still have to keep the stock seat belts (and wear it) even if you get a 5-point harness? Also what about weight removing tactics such as removing the front/rear impact bars, and foam absorber/egg crates? Yeah i know your f'ed if you get in a wreck, but is it illegal?

the way i look at it is if you have to ask it probably is!!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Nothing's illegal til you're caught...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Nothing's illegal til you're caught...
    agreed +8

Black
    1995 Firebird

Well what about the whole 5-point harness thing versus OEM seatbelts as far as getting a ticket? I read several websites with contradicting information...yes you can, no you can't, yes you can if you keep the OEM ones still in... *shrug*

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Well what about the whole 5-point harness thing versus OEM seatbelts as far as getting a ticket? I read several websites with contradicting information...yes you can, no you can't, yes you can if you keep the OEM ones still in... *shrug*
    Well you just need to have them installed...you can use your harness if you want. Try tucking the belt behind the plastic interior peices

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

My recommendation would be if it involves safety items (belts, lights, tires, glass) that are specified by the DOT or emissions items that are controlled by Federal law you are at risk and usually can only substitute approved items and meet DOT or emissions certifications.

If you start to make mods that involve these areas and you ever sell the car I'd suggest you change it back before selling so that you are not potentially in a liability situation if someone is involved in a crash or fails their emissions and realizes how much it will cost to replace what you threw away.

Some things you can legitimately substitute under certain conditions like cats that have gone bad but according to federal law it must be documented by a repair shop and replaced with original or similar parts. That is why nearly everything in the performance shops says "Off Road Use Only".

On other things like the seatbelts you are probably going to have to look at local law. If your state has a vehicle inspection program look on line to see if the standards are posted or check with an inspector or ask a police officer.

Good luck!

Black/Black
    2001 T/A WS6 M6

As someone said, check State regs. I know in MA it is illegal to remove the cats, steep fine if you do.

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Removing cats in Illinois is illegal....period.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Quote Originally Posted by Mieux97 View Post
    Removing cats in Illinois is illegal....period.
    unless your car is pre-72, and only 96 and up (located in the 7 county area near chicago, and 3 county area near st. louis) need to go for inspection

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    unless your car is pre-72, and only 96 and up (located in the 7 county area near chicago, and 3 county area near st. louis) need to go for inspection
    this^

Thread Information