Thread: Terrible Dyno

blue
    99 firebird formula 06GTO

Terrible Dyno

Hey, just a story i thought i'd share, one guy i know went to the dyno today and he has a 98 z28 new motor, pace setter lt headers, off road y pipe no cats, 80 mm throttle body a small comp cam i think the lift is523 or 525 im shure the lsa is 114, he only made 297rwhp. the rwt was over 300. now he wont return my calls, he is devistated, what do you think, i told him i thought the dyno was off.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by 99formulals1 View Post
    Hey, just a story i thought i'd share, one guy i know went to the dyno today and he has a 98 z28 new motor, pace setter lt headers, off road y pipe no cats, 80 mm throttle body a small comp cam i think the lift is523 or 525 im shure the lsa is 114, he only made 297rwhp. the rwt was over 300. now he wont return my calls, he is devistated, what do you think, i told him i thought the dyno was off.
    bad or no tune?

blue

He's got ls1 edit and i've seen the car run. Looks and sounds real good, really dont understand.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by 99formulals1 View Post
    He's got ls1 edit and i've seen the car run. Looks and sounds real good, really dont understand.
    did you hook up a wide ban and see if he was running rich? was he getting a dyno tune or just running it on the dyno.

blue

Not shure yet, he won't return calls, ill find out the real deal and post.

black trans am

yeah there is some thing wrong with that i made 340rwhp with catback and lid

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

depends on the dyno. A mustang dyno will yeild lower, but truer numbers as its rollers aren't just free spinning-they create friction to emmulate real-world resistance from from air/road.

a dyno jet will show much higher numbers as they are free spinning.

none-the-less; my near stock ws.6 yielded 315 on a mustang dyno....your friend is in dire need of a tune.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

take it to a different dyno and see what it puts down

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

I say try a different dyno. You'll never find a dyno that's dead on since everyone is different..they're mearly a guage to go buy when you're tweaking and tuning.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Who cares what he puts down at the Dyno. Lets get some track numbers!! Thats the true test. Dyno is just talk.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    Who cares what he puts down at the Dyno. Lets get some track numbers!! Thats the true test. Dyno is just talk.
    Amen...bring it home brother'n!

white w/NBM stripes
    1997 WS6 LT4 Trans Am

damn right! what if you had 700 h/p and only ran a 13 1/4? track times are what matters
    "Amber" - 97 WS6 LT4 converted Trans Am, SLP headers, 3200 stall, 1.6 RR's, line lock, cut out, exhaust, pioneer system, too much to list!
    www.WS6Racing.com

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

If you are taking the car to get tuned on the Dyno thats cool, But if your going to just get numbers to talk about your wasting time and money. I have been wanting to get my car Dyno tuned for over a year now. Except everyone wants $$$ to do it. So I have yet to go. I have tuned my car myself at my local track for 1/4 of the Dyno price tune. Not only does my car get faster but I get more seat time. So its a win win situation. If your buddy is really this upset and wants numbers, Tell him to trade it for a Supra, There the DYNO Queens!!

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

If you are taking the car to get tuned on the Dyno thats cool, But if your going to just get numbers to talk about your wasting time and money. I have been wanting to get my car Dyno tuned for over a year now. Except everyone wants $$$ to do it. So I have yet to go. I have tuned my car myself at my local track for 1/4 of the Dyno price tune. Not only does my car get faster but I get more seat time. So its a win win situation. If your buddy is really this upset and wants numbers, Tell him to trade it for a Supra, There the DYNO Queens!!
    600whp..and they only run 12s

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    Exactly, Thats why I wouldnt own one.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I don't know about you guys, but i would love to own a supra. my high school math teacher had a white 98 with 13k on it. he bought it for $30K new and sold it for $53K last summer to buy an 07 ZO6! I love the zo6 but i would have kept the supra until it was worth over $100K

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

LOL Didn't mean to start a debate here. But I like supra's there another nice ride I like seeing on the streets. But I wouldn't buy nor own one. Mainly b/c Parts are Way TOO expensive. Almost like My Rb25 skyline 240sx. Its dumb to pay the prices we do for the parts we get. I been there done that. So IMO if im going to spend the money, Give me an OLD vette and ill put a TT setup on it and Ill be happy!!

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    Lol you guys just say what everyone else says, the truth is its in the setup, my supra was a 87 made 517rwhp and ran an 11.09 @ 3850lbs. Just the other day i saw a 659rwhp supra run a 9.8. The supras that are dyno ueens make 1000+rwhp for a 1000rpms but if you put smaller eaier spooling turbos you can still make great power and still have a powerband. Not all supras are dyno queens.

As for all you people saying who cares about dyno number, i agree to a point, but that car should be making closer to 370-380 rwhp, that means he is making 80rwhp less than he should be and thats alot. You will feel that in the 1/4mile. Try a different dyno if the results are the same something is off. You use a dyno to see if your setup is correct with 80rwhp less than it should be something is WRONG. A Cammed ls1 making less than mine did stock.
    Last edited by LGT Guru; 04-24-2008 at 07:55 AM.

blue

I talked to the guy with the Z28 today he said the dyno shop was some place in Lafayette La. He said the guy had the engine running too rich, black smoke was filling the shop. Were bolth going to thunder racing i 3 weeks to get proper tunes, and find out what the deal with his is, i dont think the guy knew what he was doing.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by LGT Guru View Post
    Lol you guys just say what everyone else says, the truth is its in the setup, my supra was a 87 made 517rwhp and ran an 11.09 @ 3850lbs. Just the other day i saw a 659rwhp supra run a 9.8. The supras that are dyno ueens make 1000+rwhp for a 1000rpms but if you put smaller eaier spooling turbos you can still make great power and still have a powerband. Not all supras are dyno queens.

As for all you people saying who cares about dyno number, i agree to a point, but that car should be making closer to 370-380 rwhp, that means he is making 80rwhp less than he should be and thats alot. You will feel that in the 1/4mile. Try a different dyno if the results are the same something is off. You use a dyno to see if your setup is correct with 80rwhp less than it should be something is WRONG. A Cammed ls1 making less than mine did stock.
    man you've owned every car there is!

Thread Information