View Poll Results: Which interior on a Sunset orange WS6?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taupe (tan) interior

4 12.12%
  • Ebony (black) interior

29 87.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Taupe (tan) vs. Ebony interior

I am on an endless search for a 2001/02 Sunset orange ws6, and have always wanted a tan interior. But the search is proving hard and I am considering a black interior. I just don't know if I'll regret it in the long run. I really like the 2 tone contrast of the tan interiors. I like the black, but do not like how it shows wear/cracks in the seats so easily. Which one do you guys like better?!

I need some opinions!!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I think you answered it yourself, lol. Do what you want, that way it won't be "I wish I had"

My black is in almost perfect condition except for alittle wear on the drivers seat, but has been improved with conditioner. I also think black looks really sharp when all cleaned up, but that's me.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i have black and i love it how it looks after i get done cleaning it.. But i think a tan interior would look better with the sunset orange ex.. jmo

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

if i was buying a new one in 2002, i would buy it with black,

similar off colors like brown/orange/tan do not mix well imo

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i voted tan..since i have a tan interior...and i think the tan interior with SOM is perfect

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    if i was buying a new one in 2002, i would buy it with black,

similar off colors like brown/orange/tan do not mix well imo
    You have a black interior now though right?

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I think you answered it yourself, lol. Do what you want, that way it won't be "I wish I had"

My black is in almost perfect condition except for alittle wear on the drivers seat, but has been improved with conditioner. I also think black looks really sharp when all cleaned up, but that's me.
    yeah i'm just torn between the two. I've always thought the tan looks a little classier (for lack of a better word). Just adds some contrast to a sea of black. I like black interiors (I drvie a black jeep w/ black wheels, black leather, black headliner etc) and have to agree that they do look sharp cleaned up, I've just become a sucker for interiors that show little wear/cracks etc. I think the tan does a good job of hiding some of the marks (IMHO) AHHHH, I cant decide lol

Black
    00 WS6

I've had black in every T/A I've owned....I don't really care for tan interior. It's a lot harder to keep clean.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My NBM 02 has the Tan (or Taupe as it has been called on and off for years) interior but it's not my DD so keeping it clean hasn't been an issue. The fact that the car is under 50k miles helps also.

OTOH, the DD has the Charcoal (or Grey) interior. Even after 181k miles it still looks good.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Tough call. I actually like them both.

Before I had my car, I'd have definitely said black, but now, having tan, I actually like it.

I wasn't looking for one with tan, it was never my preference. I had a black 98 with the black (or ebony or agate or whatever they called the dark interior that year...in reality it was much more of a dark grey then black anyway), and with that car, I specifially wanted the dark interior. But a few years ago when I bought my '00, they were already getting hard to find so I wasn't picky. I actually fell in love with the NBM/Tan combo though. As far as keeping it clean, it's a DD and I don't have any problems. The dirtiest parts are always the dash and console, which are always black no matter what color the interior...those pieces just show the dust so well.

As far as SOM, I think they both go well. I think I would lean toward the dark color though, it does seem to go a little better with the SOM, IMO.

I don't think you can go wrong with either color though.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Tough call. I actually like them both.

Before I had my car, I'd have definitely said black, but now, having tan, I actually like it.

I wasn't looking for one with tan, it was never my preference. I had a black 98 with the black (or ebony or agate or whatever they called the dark interior that year...in reality it was much more of a dark grey then black anyway), and with that car, I specifially wanted the dark interior. But a few years ago when I bought my '00, they were already getting hard to find so I wasn't picky. I actually fell in love with the NBM/Tan combo though. As far as keeping it clean, it's a DD and I don't have any problems. The dirtiest parts are always the dash and console, which are always black no matter what color the interior...those pieces just show the dust so well.

As far as SOM, I think they both go well. I think I would lean toward the dark color though, it does seem to go a little better with the SOM, IMO.

I don't think you can go wrong with either color though.
    just makin it harder for me lol... so am I right in assuming that the tan is in fact better at hiding wear marks etc?

Regardless of exterior color, which of the two do you like better (overall looks, wear marks, clenliness, and general satisfaction) Yes, in the end I know its whatever makes me happy, but I wanna make sure I'm makin the right choice here.. this is gonna be my baby for some years to come (once I actually find one lol)

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    You have a black interior now though right?
    black wasnt availible in '98 '99 or even '00 IIRC,

it's charcoal

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

just makin it harder for me lol... so am I right in assuming that the tan is in fact better at hiding wear marks etc?

Regardless of exterior color, which of the two do you like better (overall looks, wear marks, clenliness, and general satisfaction) Yes, in the end I know its whatever makes me happy, but I wanna make sure I'm makin the right choice here.. this is gonna be my baby for some years to come (once I actually find one lol)
    I'll say I like the tan a little better, because that's what I have and I've grown to appreciate it (when I bought the car, it certainly wouldn't have been my first choice). But I really do think there's a certain "class" to the black. I loved it when I had it in my '98.

As far as staying clean looking, I'd say black would have the edge. Other than the dust factor, the thing I don't like about the tan interior is that the tan plastic pieces show scuffs and smudges eaisier. I have to clean the trim by the door sills every once in a while or they start to look dingy. Also, I'm very carefull with the headliner and the sunvisors, because those are tan and I don't want to get any smudges from dirty hands on them. Same thing with the carpet, I'm always very careful to use the floor mats and to make sure I have clean feet before getting into the car. My car is a DD and not a show car, ( I obught it 3 years ago with 65k, it's now just about to hit 100k) but luckily it seems that none of the previous owners were slobs, so the car has managed to stay in pretty decent shape inside.

And if you're worried about cracks, you can always have the front seats recovered....many members have done it and it looks really nice afterwards. The leather GM used was pretty cheap IMO, so getting them redone is a big upgrade anyway.

Honestly they both have thier pros and cons....you just need to pick which one you think LOOKS better, because you're the only one who has to live with the car....and the interior is the part of it that you'll be seeing the most.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

So i am thinking about getting one with a black interior (just to make my search 100x easier). I found a complete tan interior: seats, door panels, carpet, trim etc. on craigslist that I am considering ordering additionally and replacing pieces as I see fit. For example, maybe leave the black carpet, but replace the rest of the plastic parts and seats.

Is this asking for too much trouble/ work, or would it be a FAIRLY straightforward process. I know its not a walk in the park by any means, but I just don't wanna get in over my head.

craigslist: http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/1925160319.html

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I think black look better. And that's on all the cars.
    I wouldn't buy a camaro/TA if it doesn't have a black interior.
    It's just my opinion.
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

I like lighter colored interiors like white or tan. Just looks classy in my opinion. Sets the car apart from the field of other cookie cutter cars. Not to mention it's much cooler in the summer time. Doesn't get as hot with the sun beating down on it.

But that's coming from a person that also prefers cloth interior anymore too. I prefer the comfort and breathability of the cloth. Just not that fond of leather. Nothing more uncomfortable than getting out of a car with a sweatty back

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

So i am thinking about getting one with a black interior (just to make my search 100x easier). I found a complete tan interior: seats, door panels, carpet, trim etc. on craigslist that I am considering ordering additionally and replacing pieces as I see fit. For example, maybe leave the black carpet, but replace the rest of the plastic parts and seats.

Is this asking for too much trouble/ work, or would it be a FAIRLY straightforward process. I know its not a walk in the park by any means, but I just don't wanna get in over my head.

craigslist: http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/1925160319.html
    btw i do have mechanical skils (i'm a mechanical engineer at a company that actually makes interior parts for 18 wheelers, ironically enough) but have never done anything like swap out an entire interior in a car
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 09-07-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

I've got a 2002 NBM convert with Taupe interior and top. I wouldn't have a convert with a black interior because they become ovens in the sun but I've seen an awful lot of them were made. If you decide to get an SOM with black and change the interior by buying the parts used, be sure you stay with either the Taupe (lighter tan) or Camel (darker tan). They are different and mixing the shades doesn't work well. A lot of people don't realize there is a difference between the shades and just call them tan. I also found that there is a difference between how the door panels were set up between the two colors. My Taupe door panels are all tan with ebony handle and pocket. My friend's SOM Firehawk Camel door panels are ebony across the top with tan panel and ebony handles and pockets.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

i will never have a tan interior no matter what the car is. i don't like the look and is absolutely awful to keep a tan carpet free of stains
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have been looking for a SOM TA or Camaro and I keep finding tan and I'm not into the tan with Orange but also there is the major point about trying to keep it clean I had a friend with the 99 anniversary TA and that whit was hell to keep clean and it was a weekend car. Black looks great with Orange and it's easier to keep clean
    and if it wears in the corner it's easier to have repaired and dyed. I have the charcoal and I had the wear everyone gets on the driver seat so I had my buddy use a filler, regrained, and dyed it and looked new and now 3 yrs later it's getting a little worn so I'll have it redone and takes like 20 min to do. Tan is cooler on you in the summer with the tops of but a lot more work to keep clean.
    Just depends on the color you like and if you wanna keep up with the cleaning.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Thread Information