Thread: tapping noise!

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

tapping noise!

need sum help on this one...got this tapping noise, only does it when im in drive and accelerate, sounds sort of like an exhaust leak from the manifold, but it doesnt make the noise in park or neutral, so im thinking it cant be that ...i have no idea what it is.sounds like and exhaust leak, or bad cats maybe? cause i did throw a p0430 code a while ago, the ses light went off by itself and its the passenger cat, but the noise is coming from the drivers side... or is it sumthing internal in the engine? there is a loss of power ive noticed and the tapping increases as i accelerate

Black
    1999 Firebird

This may not be the problem you are having but I have noticed something similar to your problem that I am having which is with the gas pedal when I accelerate it makes a tapping noise but when I let off it goes away I have yet to figure out why it does that

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by TruThug View Post
    This may not be the problem you are having but I have noticed something similar to your problem that I am having which is with the gas pedal when I accelerate it makes a tapping noise but when I let off it goes away I have yet to figure out why it does that
    yeah, when i push down on the gas, its starts tapping and increases as i accelerate, and theres a loss of power. then when i let off the gas it stops...

Black
    1999 Firebird

Yeah sounds like its the gas pedal but I have no clue why it is making a noise

Blackened fire chicken

mine sounds like its coming from right behind the dash where the gauges and speedometer are...almost like a piece of plastic flapping in the dash, but my a/c aint on, it doesnt even work right now and it only does when im in drive...when i park it and rev the car, its gone...

Blackened fire chicken

ok, are there supposed to be 6 bolts for the exhaust manifolds??? cause it looks like the very last bolt on the driver side manifold, closest to the fire wall has broken off...

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

thats your knock sensor its retarding your ignition and makes the car lose power.It does that so you dont harm your motor.you might have bad gas or you need to check the drivetrain.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    ok, are there supposed to be 6 bolts for the exhaust manifolds??? cause it looks like the very last bolt on the driver side manifold, closest to the fire wall has broken off...
    Sounds like that could be your problem

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Sounds like that could be your problem

Click for full size
    yup, im "missing" the very last bolt on the drivers side manifold, causing an exhaust leak...the head of the bolt broke off, but its flush with the manifold and not the head, witch is sort of good news...getting it fixed right now, hopefully the manifold didnt warp so i dont have to take it to a machine shop...im assuming i still need a gasket for this, cause i know older v8's dont really need them, but this is an aluminum block so i dont think its a good idea putting it back on without a gasket...

Blackened fire chicken

if anyone cares to know, i got the exhaust leak repaired, $250 to take the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter off, and get the broken bolt out of the head, then everything put back togther, not a bad price. the cat ended being almost torn in half, had to get that welded back together, that was part of the repair too. so the reason this all happened, BAD MOTOR MOUNTS! i guess i drove my car so hard i broke a bolt off the exhaust manifold and ripped the drivers side cat almost in half...im looking at around $400 to replace the mounts, witch isnt too bad either. so for now, ill have to take it real easy on the car till i can get the mounts fixed...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    if anyone cares to know, i got the exhaust leak repaired, $250 to take the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter off, and get the broken bolt out of the head, then everything put back togther, not a bad price. the cat ended being almost torn in half, had to get that welded back together, that was part of the repair too. so the reason this all happened, BAD MOTOR MOUNTS! i guess i drove my car so hard i broke a bolt off the exhaust manifold and ripped the drivers side cat almost in half...im looking at around $400 to replace the mounts, witch isnt too bad either. so for now, ill have to take it real easy on the car till i can get the mounts fixed...

Ouch! Must have made a hell of a racket when it came loose.

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Ouch! Must have made a hell of a racket when it came loose.
    oh yeah! it was tapping like crazy! especially since the leak was right in front and under me...i had a p.o.s. '83 Z28 and the manifold bolts always came loose on the drivers side, so the sound was definitely a familiar one...

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

holy shit dude! i'm glad you are getting it fixed but at this point you may have been better off just getting headers!!!!

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    holy shit dude! i'm glad you are getting it fixed but at this point you may have been better off just getting headers!!!!
    i know, i wish dude...it would be kinda hard since i live in california and have to smog my car...stupid cats

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Piston slap? I know the 350's are known for that...does it go away after a while or is it constant?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

NVM on the above post just scrolled to the bottom and put in my .02

Thread Information