Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Tail of the Dragon, Deal's Gap

So, who here has driven on the Dragon? For those who don't know, this road is a 12 on a 10 scale. I first heard about it in Road and Track 2 years ago, and made it a destination then. We finally made it last May 11th, and made 7 runs on the Dragon. Our best time was an 18:32. Coulda, shoulda done better, but you never know when the F'n motorcycles will be coming around the corner in your lane.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...0167&po=167&c=

I think this link will show us.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yeah, the link worked. That road is a massive adreneline rush!

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Yeah, the link worked. That road is a massive adreneline rush!
    Yeah i have been there. Only on my motorcycle, did you see the tree of shame?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes, amazing that there are the R.I.P. memorials hanging from it also.
    There were at least 2 cycles off the road when we were there, the police just guided people around the slide offs.

red
    2001 formula

Like CLG82 me and my buddys were there a couple of years ago on our motorcycles it was a thrill. I hear the police are patrolling the gap pretty closely for excessive speed.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

We did not see the po-po anywhere except for the slide-offs. That is a good thing!

2000 Trans Am

We did not see the po-po anywhere except for the slide-offs. That is a good thing!
    Yeh and if they do catch you speeding (which happened to us) they just tell ya to be careful! They are pretty laid back there.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

I live about four hours away from the gap, hit on my bike a few years back never drove my TA through it. soon i hope

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Wow, you must live on extreme western TN to be four hours away? We saw about 30 bikes for every car. It was nice to hear our bellowing V8 on that road instead of only crotch rockets or Harleys. We did see another Trans Am (from IN!) and I talked to him about 10 minutes, and also a Z28 and some kinda loud 90s Mustang.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

sorry bro that was a typo. Im about 1.5 to 2 hours away depending on traffic im about 75 miles west of knoxville

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac T/A WS-6

. Our best time was an 18:32. Coulda, shoulda done better, but you never know when the F'n motorcycles will be coming around the corner in your lane.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...0167&po=167&c=

I think this link will show us.
    Most of the time its the cars that are in the motorcycles lane because there trying to see how good of a time they can get. You shouldn't be coming up to the dragon for your first time and seeing how good of a time you can get. I ride my motorcycle up there and it really pisses me off to see people from out of town (car or bike) up there driving like maniacs. Car vs. Bike in a collision the bike loses everytime. You don't know the road, its impossible for you to know the road coming up there that often. It took me over a month to learn it and that's riding twice a week. All it takes is one blown turn. Save your money and go to a race track before you get somebody killed.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by rocksws6 View Post
    Most of the time its the cars that are in the motorcycles lane because there trying to see how good of a time they can get. You shouldn't be coming up to the dragon for your first time and seeing how good of a time you can get. I ride my motorcycle up there and it really pisses me off to see people from out of town (car or bike) up there driving like maniacs. Car vs. Bike in a collision the bike loses everytime. You don't know the road, its impossible for you to know the road coming up there that often. It took me over a month to learn it and that's riding twice a week. All it takes is one blown turn. Save your money and go to a race track before you get somebody killed.
    DUDE! Do not flame me, how many posts do you have? I drove the Dragon 7 times that day, I have been thinking about going there for 2 years now, I DO drive in Autocrosses as well as at the drag strip, and have been, for more than 20 years, do you? As far as crazy drivers, we saw 2 motorcycles off the road on our trip, and excactly 0 cars. How many car drivers have lost their life, vs. bikes, on this road? As far as I know, 0 car drivers and too many bike riders to count. We stayed in our lane for 2220 times for the about 2240 or so curves we drove thru on that day, so STFU.
    You are right, car vs. bike loses every time, so that is why I said you have to be careful. I was referring to, about my fastest time, about a possible top speed if there was no traffic. I am sure, you on your sport bike, could do better than I.
    I guess you were not specifically talking about me when you said the cars are usually in the wrong lane, because you are wrong about that. I have video tape to prove it.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Where is the dragon located??

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac T/A WS-6

Western NC and Eastern TN border

Thread Information