Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

TA weight elimination

How much "easy" weight elimination can we get out of a 01 TA for example? I am referring to things like the spare tire and such with approx weight gain(or loss)?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I took off my spare tire and jack out of my ss. The car is lowered with lighter springs. Now I need the weight back for better traction. Tires spins alot.
    I thought a lighter rear was better but I can see I'm wrong.

I plan on reducing weight on the front and relocate the battery in the back.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Didnt think of that as being a problem...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Most of the aftermarket suspension parts are lighter, yet stronger. You have things that can be made from chromoly. Carbon fiber drive-shafts...etc.

You then can buy hollow sway bars from Sam Strano to save weight. Pull the rear seats, remove the spare, jack, and any other miscellaneous parts not needed while racing.

Another weight savings would be the k-member. The aftermarket UMI unit I believe weighs about 75? lb less.

There certainly are many things you can do...just depends on how far you want to take it, and how deep your wallet is.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think we might have a sticky or thread around here on this, I'll go take a look.

I believe that all my aftermarket UMI suspension stuff weighs more than the stock pieces. As Jon noted, the K-member is the one exception and you can drop around 35 pounds by changing that out. I still have to install my K-member and plan on setting all the parts on the scale for a good comparison.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here is one thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f36/how-to...ight+reduction A couple of smart ass answers in there, but also quite a bit of good info too.

Red
    99 Z28

Bump this up from the dead. I am actually currently working on this aspect of my car because MOST of the weight reduction that can be done to our cars is free. So for those of you guys that have taken out weight in a serious way (weekened/race cars) that still driven on the street, what did you take out? So far I have taken out
    Ac and all components
    Rear Seats
    Front leather seats, replace with kirkeys
    Stereo and all speakers
    Front sway bar
    Windshield washer fluid resv
    Egr and air pump stuff.

I have alot more planned, but always looking for suggestions. trying to get the car to 3200 like what seems to be the usual.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

a good way to reduce weight is buying aftermarket suspension parts.. if you can,
    i plan on getting some weight of my car but i want to start from the front this time.
    air pump, egr, and some other parts are coming off.. as well as cutting some holes under the fenders or anything else i can see i dont need..

putting the battery in the back should help, not sure if its a good idea though...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    a good way to reduce weight is buying aftermarket suspension parts.. if you can,
    i plan on getting some weight of my car but i want to start from the front this time.
    air pump, egr, and some other parts are coming off.. as well as cutting some holes under the fenders or anything else i can see i dont need..

putting the battery in the back should help, not sure if its a good idea though...
    Before you do that I would check with your state if it is legal. Where I live in Virginia you will not pass the safety inspection with that done.

Thread Information