Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Exclamation TA Engine Shot Down- Expert Advisors Needed

Hello Folks,

I need super advice and pointers from all who have removed their engines and reinstalled.

Please read this thread that have posted from another thread:

Well, I have some very disturbing news about the leak. The Used Lot Mechanic told me there is some sort of bad engine seal. He is removing the engine to resolve the problem. I was not hoping for such a diagnostic. I just feel it's never the same again if you have to pull the engine out. At any rate, I'm with a little relief that they are doing job so the expense won't be out of my pocket. The warranty on the vehicle runs out in a week.. thus, I'm nervous about getting the vehicle back and something is wrong with it.... really be shit out of luck on this one.

I nowcan see why the previous owner traded in the vehicle . Just a cost for purchasing a used vehicle.

I'll let you all know what exactly he's doing when I get a chance. Over the phone, the mechanic's Hispanic accent was somewhat difficult to understand.

Matthew

Well, the holiday weekend is near..... the mechanic pull the engine today on a Tuesday and looking to get it completed by this Thursday before the Holiday weekend. Whether he is rushing or not I don't know. From what I wrote above, I need your advices on what to check for when I pick up this vehicle once the engine is back in . Ofcourse I have to check for leaks of all kind... what else? I'm feeling there are too many things to check for and I may slip for the warranty will expired . Any pointers on this one is much welcome and necessary.

Good day, Matthew

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Try to figure out which seal.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Post You have Had It Pulled

hello Buddy!

I was thinking of you... so there you are. You mentioned replacing your stock engine. Did you have any complications with the installed engine upon picking up the vehicle?

Any advise on what to look for?

I'm 24 miles from the Used Car Garage which is located in Los Angeles... by the time I get off work and pick up the kids, I can't make it there because of the traffic before they close to personally speak to the mechanic. Hard to understand the guy over the phone because of his accent and found myself asking him 3 times about the leakage. I didn't want to make out that his English is lousy!

Good day,
    Matttttttttttttttttttttttt

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    Did you have any complications with the installed engine upon picking up the vehicle?
    I did the install in my garage. Some issues, but no leaks.

Without knowing which seal, it would be hard for us to help.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

nws For Example- An Alignment?

Luos,

I see what you mean. What I need advice on are the things to check for.... for instance, misfiring of the cylinders, etc. When it comes to the seal, I don't think I need to worry about that, for the mechanic will show me what he did and replaced.

Here is another example...... thinking about it now... last time I had them do an alignment and the vehicle's steering is as straight as a bullet...

For him to drop the engine, doe he not also have to take the front suspension apart? More than likely, I know that he will not send the vehicle out for an alignment.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I did the install in my garage. Some issues, but no leaks.

Without knowing which seal, it would be hard for us to help.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

It will need an alignment IF the motor comes down. I just can't see it having to come out for a seal. If it is the rear main seal, the tranny has to come down, but that is much less complicated.

How is the oil pressure?

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Angry The Trannnnny?

Hey Buddy!

I was hoping that the mechanic found a leaked oil hose or the power steering pump leak. I have constantly checked the oil for two weeks... and there were no loss!!! Freakin nutz huh?

Since I drove both of my TAs this past weekend and kept my eye on the gauges. I'm a little confused in memory as to which TA has which reading....
    On my good TA..... I think pressure was over 40. On the bad Silver one, the reading was close to 40... thus, I was not that concern.

Shit, speaking of it, I better keep my eye on the gauge when I test drive pick up the vehicle. What should a typical reading on the oil pressure Gauge be?

Yah, if the engine comes down, the Tranny must be disconnected as well. To access the engine rear it must be taken down away from the firewall doesn't it?
    Matthew

This is what I wrote in a different thread in reponse to another member:

I don't have enough knowledge to say if you are correct or not on this:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by INMY01TA
    You dont have to remove the engine to replace the front nor the rear seal.

But I don't see him going through the trouble of doing so when it's not necessary, especially when we are experiencing a heat wave over here in Southern California for the past couple days. His garage is not even air condition.

It's on their cost and expense....... thus, I gave the mechanic $40 bucks asking him to keep the vehicle clean from oil when I dropped it off yesterday.

Hey, the back engine compartment is super Tight isn't it?...... how would he get to the bolt without letting the engine loose?

If you saw the images I took, oil is splatter all over the underside, due to oil engine oil pressure I guess. More than that, the uppside of the engine is clean....... so my conclusion would be from rear engine. I should have snapped a photo to share with you guys. The garage is too far away for me to pay them a visit.

It will need an alignment IF the motor comes down. I just can't see it having to come out for a seal. If it is the rear main seal, the tranny has to come down, but that is much less complicated.

How is the oil pressure?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

That is why I was trying to figure out why the motor needs to be removed from the car.

I have replaced both the front and rear main seals with the motor in the car.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Exclamation The Seal of Approval

That is why I was trying to figure out why the motor needs to be removed from the car.

I have replaced both the front and rear main seals with the motor in the car.
    You Luos, maybe the mechanic reference it incorrectly to me, but I don't see how even though his English is not the best in the world.

Here is what I posted in the other thread and member there also mentioned not having to remove engine to replace front seal. Hey, do you have an image of your seal replacement so I know what exactly it looks like? That would be helpful. I still need to get down to the bottom of this when I pick that vehicle up.
    Thanks man...
    Matt
    It's late over here in California, but I took my camera out to my good TA and inspected what you guys were speaking about. More than that, I wanted to reason out the point of leak through based on a visual aspect. I took pictures of my engine and marked it. I marked where I think the front seal is, please correct me if I'm wrong....

Based on this last image, it would reason that the oil seaps down from the engine front end and splatter rearward onto the K Member, the Oil pan, and the transmission?

I didn't get a chance to fully inspect the leak, but from a visual, engine frontwise top was not leaking. It must be at the bottom... but for some damn reason, could we be wrong and it is coming from the rear?

The mechanic works on the Used Car Lot Import as well as Export. Could it be that he is not very knowledgable about TA engines? Shit, I don't know but will review his diagnostic and repair this Thursday and will share my findings with you. The hooker exhaust along with C hex clamps were difficult to torque for high lbs. while laying underneath the vehicle on a ramp (my elbows had quite a workout). Thus, I imagine replacing these engine seals without a lift and proper tools would be very difficult. They have sold me one fucked up wear and tear vehicle, but it runs super hahahah!!! The Swaybar link now the seal... what next? I'm thinking to myself the warrant will expire within a week. Should I seek some soft of warrant if they offer one? I doubt they do though. With all these repair and my work of upgrading the exhaust system, I thought of duming this TA when I get it back as a Trade In for some other new Vehicle. But a big part of me saids it too soon and nurturing this TA baby back to good health should be the goal. How do you fair it?

Thank you much for the input,
    Matttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Pictures I saw had oil near the front indicating to me it came from the front. (It would travel towards the rear while driving) Front main seal is an easy swap, did it myself in my garage. If it came from the rear it wouldn't travel towards the front of the motor. Even so, dropping the tranny allows accsess to the rear main seal.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

From what you have posted...it appears to be the front main seal OR the timing cover gasket.

Niether of which would require the motor to be removed from the car.
    Oil pan gasket maybe? That is a little tougher.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Exclamation The Verdict..............

Hey Good Buddy!

I could understand the Mechanics explanation today. Seems like he can't get the vehicle done this weekend. He is working hand and foot on the vehicle. It's not leaking from the front........ he said that he has done many GM vehicle seals..... the Front seal only takes him 2 hours to do.

It's leaking in the rear above the oil pan where the engine meets the tranny. The Seal is in two pieces, thus, he had to pull the engine up rather Dropping it to replace the seal. Does this sound Reasonable? If it's above the oil pan and under the engine bay dash, then he would need to do the pull to get to it. He said the leak is pretty bad.

Mattttttt

From what you have posted...it appears to be the front main seal OR the timing cover gasket.

Niether of which would require the motor to be removed from the car.
    Oil pan gasket maybe? That is a little tougher.

Thread Information