Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: T-Top flew!

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

T-Top flew!

Ok, I was already running late for work. My car was going to be sitting in a sunny parking lot all day so I figured I would put the shades in. Well did my dr side first but didn’t lock it because I was going to center it better well finished with my pass and I took off.

Getting on 820 a minivan wont let me in so I leave it in 4th and pick it up to 80 85ish no big deal. Well just before I let off, I here this big gush of wind I put my hand up and knew I had something on my head and yea, I was holding the shade against my head.

Look at my side mirror and see traffic splitting and breaking. Check my pass top it was locked, so I put it back in 3rd and hit it. Stoped at a gas station took the other one off and drove 55 the rest of the way. Went by after work and picked up the little pieces.

After searching all day I found a savage yard that had one, he look through the window at my car and said “yep got one left 250” im like WTF I just need one “yep 250, you will be back”After about a week found one in Kennedale guy was like give me 45. So I took them both, now I got a spare, lol.

Sorry for the long read. Just check your tops.

black
    1998 firebird

thts happend to me b4 lol ever since then i lock my tops when i put them on , i paid 60 for mine the faqctory wanted lik 600 dollars. i saw mine fly in the air like a kite when it cam off lol

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodDavid View Post
    Ok, I was already running late for work. My car was going to be sitting in a sunny parking lot all day so I figured I would put the shades in. Well did my dr side first but didn’t lock it because I was going to center it better well finished with my pass and I took off.

Getting on 820 a minivan wont let me in so I leave it in 4th and pick it up to 80 85ish no big deal. Well just before I let off, I here this big gush of wind I put my hand up and knew I had something on my head and yea, I was holding the shade against my head.

Look at my side mirror and see traffic splitting and breaking. Check my pass top it was locked, so I put it back in 3rd and hit it. Stoped at a gas station took the other one off and drove 55 the rest of the way. Went by after work and picked up the little pieces.

After searching all day I found a savage yard that had one, he look through the window at my car and said “yep got one left 250” im like WTF I just need one “yep 250, you will be back”After about a week found one in Kennedale guy was like give me 45. So I took them both, now I got a spare, lol.

Sorry for the long read. Just check your tops.
    holy crap, some crazy shit. I'm OCD about those when I take em off, put them back on. I'll check it two times at least just from compulsion. Glad you got a new one without much grief.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    holy crap, some crazy shit. I'm OCD about those when I take em off, put them back on. I'll check it two times at least just from compulsion. Glad you got a new one without much grief.
    yea and a buddie let me borrow one for a while becuse he has his car covered up but i still spent over a hundred at the salvage yard on other crap too lol

Silver
    2002 WS6 TA

Happened to a friend in an 80 TA at 110MPH it flew like a kite and landed in a farmers field unharmed.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Fogot to lock mine and had it lift up on me but I was lucky enough to catch it in time. Another kid I know took his dad's SS out and his passenger was drunk and pulled the lever. Bye bye t-top haha.

$250 is pretty ridiculous, you can buy them for $150 a piece on ebay I believe...?

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Hahaha. I always lock mine. That has to suck though. You can find T-Tops all over the internet. There is one place that specializes in just getting T-Tops, replacing what needs to be replaced if anything and then reselling them. Don't matter what generation either. But im on my laptop right now, so I don't have the site saved on here. Ofcourse, depending on where you go, there will always be different prices.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

damn that sucks. I always check them after i put them back on.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

i have never locked mine, i can't believe that they would just unlatch and fly like that, now i'm gonna be paranoid to check and lock them. How does it unlatch anyways?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

that happened on my 95 Camaro..........cost me $125

Black
    00 WS6

My drivers side came off on my 89 IROC many years ago.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

when you guys say lock each time do you mean with the key of just lever? does the key help keep it there at all?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    when you guys say lock each time do you mean with the key of just lever? does the key help keep it there at all?
    with the lever

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I never lock my tops.. just latch them.. as I like to be able to pull over and quick rip them off and get back on the road.. anyway... back in HS, I was Driving my 85 with a buddy... going down a county road at about 80... when I hear him say whats this as he reaches up toward the lever.. But before I could say don't touch that.. WHOOSH! THe t-top was gone... my heart sank.. I was staring at the rear view mirror for what seemed like an eternity... waiting for shattered glass... but nothing... then I hear "Hey man.. can you stop.. this thing is heavy!" He held onto the t-top by the handle at 80 and it never hit the car or did any damage... I stopped and we put it back on.. and kept driving!
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

i didnt know so many people lost t tops

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

SFCs solve this problem...

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    i have never locked mine, i can't believe that they would just unlatch and fly like that, now i'm gonna be paranoid to check and lock them. How does it unlatch anyways?
    yea i ment i didnt latch it in place. I never lock mine either.

i am guilty of taking them off at a stop light,lol.my younger brother can pop them off as fast as me. they just ride on top of the folded back seats for a bit.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    SFCs solve this problem...
    how so? i heard they prevent twisting that can lead to leaking, but how do they keep the tops on without the lever?

2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    how so? i heard they prevent twisting that can lead to leaking, but how do they keep the tops on without the lever?
    Weld them on top of the car... Duh...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information