Black
    2002 T/A WS6

T/A Ignition Cylinder

So my mother happened to lose the keys to my car. When I am at school I let her take it for a spin now and then. Well, now I'm carless. She went to the Pontiac dealership to make a new key based off the VIN. The new key fit in the door but not the ignition cylinder. The only idea that anyone so far has come up with is that the ignition cylinder was replaced and the dealer said that I'd have to get a new one put in with the new keys. They said it could run me about $500. Any other suggestions fom anyone? I could really use a good idea.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

GM stopped using the same key for the door and ignition back in 1969 when the ignition switch moved from the dash to the steering column. Go back to the dealer and ask for an IGNITION key for your car based on the VIN.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Red
    '02 WS6

good idea

Yeah it'll beat a hemi!!! MapleredT/a's Avatar

maple red metalic
    2000 Trans Am

Im a parts manager at a chevy dealership and you can cut a key for your ingnition by the vin# dont let them try to screw you like that.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

The ignition cylinders are swapped out a lot on these cars, doubt the dealer can cut you a ignition key but it might be possible if it's the original cylinder. You can always buy the cylinder from them and install yourself....save a good $400. Make sure you follow the BCM reset procedure so the PASS won't give you any probs.

Yeah it'll beat a hemi!!! MapleredT/a's Avatar

maple red metalic
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    The ignition cylinders are swapped out a lot on these cars, doubt the dealer can cut you a ignition key. You can always buy the cyinder from them and install yourself....save a good $400. Make sure you follow the BCM reset procedure so the PASS won't give you any probs.
    Yeah thats true i didnt even think about if the ignition had already been replaced then the keys would be different. Im pretty sure you could code the cylinder so his original key would work. I would definetly get a second opinion on it though.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    The ignition cylinders are swapped out a lot on these cars, doubt the dealer can cut you a ignition key but it might be possible if it's the original cylinder.
    Why would that be?

It sounded like they cut him a door key by mistake and he was expecting it to also work in the ignition. Just because his door key didn't work in the ignition doesn't mean his ignition cylinder was changed. The two keys ARE different from the factory.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    Why would that be?

It sounded like they cut him a door key by mistake and he was expecting it to also work in the ignition. Just because his door key didn't work in the ignition doesn't mean his ignition cylinder was changed. The two keys ARE different from the factory.
    The cylinders are swapped a lot because of the PASS-II. After repeated turns over the years the cheesy wires GM connected to the ignition cylinder tend to snap off...the car will throw a security light and won't start unless you bypass the PASS-II like i did or replace the cylinder(along with putting the new value of the key in the BCM). Basically when the wires break the BCM can't read the value of the resistor in the ignition key to compare it to the preset value in the BCM....the car won't even turn over unless you were lucky enough to have it break when the car was already running.

The bypass is just putting a resistor of the same value as the ignition key inline with the BCM...basically fooling it to thinking the right key is in there. It might happen to you someday and if it does do a search on here for the bypass instructions...it's really easy.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Ah, good info. Never heard of that. Thanks.

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

I replace these all the time at the gm dealer i work at, Severe is right they are a poor design and break at the cylinder. The first thing i would do is go back and see if they can make you an ignition key which will be like $30because I would assume that they made you a door key which is just a couple of $s. If the ignition key does not work then they either frigged up or it has a different lock cylinder in it. To save money just get an aftermarket and install it yourself, just get the part, steering wheel puller, and maybe a clockspring tool. just rememer to dissable the SRS
    99 Trans Am M6
    SLP lid/FRA/TBB/Comp 224/224 581/581 112LSA
    Comp 918s/Comp PRs/Hedman TorkStep LTs
    Custom Y/Exhaust/Pro 5.0

Thread Information