black
    98 Trans Am

strange click/tick during acceleration..

Hello everyone, need help diagnosing a mysterious clicking iv been hearing. I got an a4 Trans am, a little over 100k miles. I only hear it during driving, only when accelerating from a stop. Once it gets to 25mph it pretty much stops. This clicking happens randomly, some days no clicking.
    Engine inspection looks fine, no coolant leaks, changed oil yesterday and oil looked normal. Transmission fluid fine, the a4 shifts perfectly. No check engine light either. I hear the clicking when the engine is hot or cold. Sound appears to be coming from the engine. Clicks will stop as spoon as I let go of the gas. Here's a video of the sound, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by breakking; 08-27-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: forgot something

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's odd. I would normally recommend checking the torque arm mount on the side of the transmission, or the transmission mount. If it is coming from under the hood though, I'm not sure what that would be.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like possibly a bent pushrod to me???? Get another video with the hood raised and rev the engine a little bit by hand ( just work the butterfly on the throttle body). I first thought exhaust leak until I listened to that....sounds to metallic to be an exhaust leak. Sounds more like a bent pushrod.

black
    98 Trans Am

Revving the engine doesn't make the click sound, only when it's Moving which is why I can't make a vid with the hood up. It doesn't sound metallic in person, sound like mini pops. I'm thinking maybe a worn gasket somewhere??

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

bad spark plug boot?........arching?..... Had headers installed lately...bad gasket leak maybe?....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

An exhaust leak or pushrod would almost have to have a rhythym to the noise that would increase with rpm. This seems sporadic and quite loud.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

This is a weird one! Ive listened to it a bunch of times.....If he had CV joints id say thats what it was lol,,,but since NOT..i dunno?....It def, sounds like its accelerating with the car...like when he goes faster the tick goes along too. Unfortunately with some sounds that are hard to pin point (Its especially hard over the net rather then in person)...You just have to wait until ''it'' gets louder or breaks? I mean if the cars acting normal and everything else seems ok... all fluids ok..no leaks...no burning smells..no loss of power..etc etc...then thats what you have to do.or spend some bucks and have a mechanic go through it?

Thread Information