stock block 292xfi

now before everyone attacks me at one time lol, read this...
    i purchased and ordered the 280xfi cam through a company that supplies aftermarket parts to oreilly's. We agreed to the terms of purchasing this cam which were pay now and be happy because you cant send it back due to it being a special order. So a week and a half later the cam arrives, im looking at it and realize the box says 292xfi... So i figured someone else ordered a cam and mine hasnt arrived yet... anyway to make it short the vendor has every single cam part number WRONG. I called comp and crossed the vendors numbers and most of them are a step down off. So, with me being stuck with this complete cam kit, I am going to install it. Reasons are:
    1. Its a cam, its gonna sound mean
    2. It HAS to be better than the stock cam(please chime in)
    3. Paid for and im not going to sell and lose money on it
    4. I do plan on going 383 in the future

where will this cam ACTUALLY START to make more tq/hp than factory, because we all know its gonna WANT to spin to the moon. There will be a dyno run just before install and after install so we can see whos actually correct in there guesses... I will only be spinning it to 6400 on the dyno after install...

btw, pacesetter lt's, 3"ory, 3" exhaust no muffler, k&n fipk2, m6

also, how much could I advance the cam to bring the power band down?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Nater36 View Post
    now before everyone attacks me at one time lol, read this...
    i purchased and ordered the 280xfi cam through a company that supplies aftermarket parts to oreilly's. We agreed to the terms of purchasing this cam which were pay now and be happy because you cant send it back due to it being a special order. So a week and a half later the cam arrives, im looking at it and realize the box says 292xfi... So i figured someone else ordered a cam and mine hasnt arrived yet... anyway to make it short the vendor has every single cam part number WRONG. I called comp and crossed the vendors numbers and most of them are a step down off. So, with me being stuck with this complete cam kit, I am going to install it. Reasons are:
    1. Its a cam, its gonna sound mean
    2. It HAS to be better than the stock cam(please chime in)
    3. Paid for and im not going to sell and lose money on it
    4. I do plan on going 383 in the future

where will this cam ACTUALLY START to make more tq/hp than factory, because we all know its gonna WANT to spin to the moon. There will be a dyno run just before install and after install so we can see whos actually correct in there guesses... I will only be spinning it to 6400 on the dyno after install...

btw, pacesetter lt's, 3"ory, 3" exhaust no muffler, k&n fipk2, m6

I'm sorry I don't care what they said. I would be arguing with somebody for paying for a specific part that had to be special ordered and they send me the wrong part. I would want my $$$ back period. It's called false advertising. No terms of purchase is that iron clad that if they sent you a wrong part you couldn't get your money back. That's like ordering a LS1 and getting a 4.2 litter Ford motor.

Did you get a refund for the price difference?

Does this mistake benefit you?
    Op, I'm not flaming you just saying you shouldn't put up with it.

honestly is it gonna be that bad?
    i think i have a foot down at sending it back now though...

Is it better than the stock cam? Yes and no. If you have the supporting mods, yes. If not, no. The duration on that cam will make your car a dog down low without some gears. Stock heads will be your biggest limiting factor. Like I said before you are gonna have to have ported heads, probably some injectors, possibly a throttle body and a tune. You probably won't make good power until you hit 3,000 rpms. If you are interested, I have a set of ported heads and 30lb injectors I am going to sell. My car made 360 horses to the rear wheels with them, a cam smaller than yours, and with a stock throttle body and intake. An M6 should make 380ish with my setup tp the rear wheels.

How much

PM sent

Thread Information