Black
    2002 WS6

Steering wheel controls

I have a 2002 WS6:

Both steering wheels controls stopped working. First they started cutting out and at times wouldn't work at all then finally they quit working altogether. I figured the switches were bad and purchased replacement switches. I installed the new switches today (8-2-08). However, the new switches do not work either. None of the buttons on the new switches work, nothing, nada.....................

I pulled the airbag and all the wiring under the bag looks fine. I pulled the radio and the connector on the radio all looks fine. I checked all the fuses and none are blown.

What am I missing or any suggestions on what is wrong? I can't figure out how they went from working some times to not working at all and now the newely installed switches don't function at all.

I thinking the problem is in the wiring or within the monsoon radio. Is there another connector under the dash or around the steering colom I need to check.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Arctic White
    2002 WS.6 Trans Am

Take a look at this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93289

Vannatte posted this extremely useful link for repairing the controls in the steering wheel:

http://www.stevendbrown.com/Steering...oControls.html

There are new circuit board replacements available on www.afterthoughtsauto.com-Radio Button Steering Wheel Rebuild Kit-bright LEDs in red and blue:

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/pon...io-lights.html

The replacements come with fully illustrated instructions.

Black
    2002 WS6

Thanks for the information on the lights but that is not my problem. I have no functions at all, even after replacing the switches with factory replacements. I have NO functions, NO play, seek, volume, presets, NOTHING.

Any ideas?

Arctic White
    2002 WS.6 Trans Am

Did you check your fuses? The fuse panel should be when you open the drivers side door there should be a little door there on the dash panel with fuses in there, get the manual out and look toward the back and look and see which one it is.

The fuses are right when you open up the drivers side door on the dash board. Once you open up the door look down at the dash that faces the door, there should be a little door there with the fuses inside there. The radio fuse is #17 (blue at the botttom right). Probably not a fuse if radio buttons have worked intermittently. Sounds like wiring issue.

Also, you said you replaced the buttons....did you mean just the buttons...or did you replace the entire pod assembly? If the circuit board has bad contacts...then it is possible the buttons are not making the correct contact.

You could take the wires from the steering wheel and trace them back to the radio. Push one at a time and put a wire tester (multi-meter) to each as it enters the radio, if there is power coming through the wires then it is in the radio I would think.

Do the controls on the radio itself function?

There is a harness that is in the steering wheel that connects to the button assemblies:

HARNESS. STRG WHl PAC 95-02 F INPO. UK3) ......... 1 1675Qf181
    ACSRY WRG (MOIO CONT)
    IPART OF 5) ...................
    Last edited by Alpha-Omega; 08-06-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Black
    2002 WS6

I checked the fuses and they all look good and test fine. The buttons on the radio itself all function properly. The wiring harness looks good down to the steering wheel and the harness at the radio looks good. The steering wheel buttons stopped working and started just working every now-and-then before just completely quiting.

I'm thinking the SIR Coil (clockspring) any suggestions???????

Arctic White
    2002 WS.6 Trans Am

OK, so did you replace just the buttons on the steering wheel or the entire pod assembly (that means the buttons and circuit boards). There are circuit boards under the buttons.

If the circuit boards are damaged then the buttons will not work. The fact that the radio buttons work indicate that the issues can be isolated to the steering wheel.

Black
    2002 WS6

I replaced the entire buttons with factory new assemblies, buttons, circuit boards the complete assemblies.

Arctic White
    2002 WS.6 Trans Am

Then by deduction it is a wiring issue and that is going to be time consuming and difficult to pin down.

If I think of anything else I will post it. www.ls1tech.com is another source you might want to check out.

Black
    2002 WS6

Angry

New twist to the steering wheel controls. If you turn the wheel all the way to the left the controls work fine. If you turn the wheel back to the right a few inches the controls stop working.

ANY IDEAS????????

Arctic White
    2002 WS.6 Trans Am

Yes you definitly have short in your system.

Check the harness connections to those control modules first. Becasue they are so short in length that may be where your problem lies. The pins may be coming out just a little bit. The connection of that harness to those modules is not easy to accomplish. To ensure a good connection I recommend using a pair of long nose jewler pliars.

Look at this picture in this link that shows those harness connections (click on the pics that appear to be blank):

http://www.stevendbrown.com/Steering...oControls.html

If that is not the problem You are going to have to check evrey wire connection from the steering column to your stock radio. You may have to check those wires with a multimeter.

Black
    2002 WS6

Thumbs up

I have checked the harness by pulling the air bag. I have traced all the wiring from the smitches through the clockspring to the radio and the fuse block. Checked and replaced all fuses. My only remaining issue is with the clockspring, I firmly believe this is where my problem lies but I have been unable to find a replacement clockspring and GM wants 189.00 for a new clockspring. If anyone has one lying around Please let me know, I'm looking for something cheaper then want the dealer is asking.

Thanks.

Arctic White
    2002 WS.6 Trans Am

Try this link-I get far better prices here:

http://www.gmpartsdistributor.com/pa...?siteid=213761

I do have a contact for parts....I will check for you see if I can get you a better price.

Do you have th GM Part#. I have the manual....but if you have the PN makes things faster.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

LsX heaven might have a clockspring.

hit him up

Black
    2002 WS6

Try this link-I get far better prices here:

http://www.gmpartsdistributor.com/pa...?siteid=213761

I do have a contact for parts....I will check for you see if I can get you a better price.

Do you have th GM Part#. I have the manual....but if you have the PN makes things faste

THE PART NUMBER ON THE OLD ONE IS PART #26069709
    VIN 2G2FV32G422100180

Black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    LsX heaven might have a clockspring.

hit him up
    Thanks and I will try to contact lsx heaven

Black
    2002 WS6

Thumbs up Fixed the issue

Thanks to LSXheaven I have my problem corrected. Having searched high and low for a clockspring, LSXHEAVEN was able to supply me with not one but two clocksprings.

Sure enough the clockspring was my problem. Took about thirty minutes to remove the old and install the new clockspring. NOW EVERYTHING WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again LSXHEAVEN, Monty and Mandy. I can't say enough good things about you and would highly recommend anyone that needs QUALITY parts and QUALITY service to give these fine folks a call.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Awesome. glad I reccommended them

Thread Information