Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2002 T/A Ws6 convertible

Cool Staggered tires?

Hello, wondering if anyone has a staggered setup on their T/A? I was looking at the BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2. The fronts are 255-45-17 and the rears are 275-40-17 for a set on tirerack. Doesn't have to be those particular but like to see what they look like on if anyone has any pics.

I have a 02 convertible WS6

thanks
    Joe

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Staggered tires?

I run Nitto NT555ZR's

255R1740 Front
    275R1740 Rear

It handles very well, I 'll see if I can find a pic
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Silver
    2002 T/A Ws6 convertible

thanks, the fronts are 255-45's though?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by joesurfer View Post
    thanks, the fronts are 255-45's though?
    If I may ask, what's the purpose behind you wanting to run narrower tires than what your WS6 came with? Even if you're a "big-n-little" fan, you might not even see a difference.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    If I may ask, what's the purpose behind you wanting to run narrower tires than what your WS6 came with? Even if you're a "big-n-little" fan, you might not even see a difference.
    At the risk of prompting the "it's his car; he should do what he wants" response, I'm also curious as to the reason.

I used to run a staggered set up on my Z28 convertible. It worked fine. I now run a square set up (275s) and not only did the car's "handling" not suffer for the change, but now I can rotate the tires to get more even wear (so I don't have to change out the rears twice for each time the fronts run low). Also, "conventional wisdom" around the net is that "front heavy" cars (i.e. 55% or more weight up front) should theoretically do better with more rubber under the front end to manage the extra weight.

I spent a lot of time researching this issue, and decided that for both performance and practicality, a square set up is the way to go (IMO).

$0.02, FWIW.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

My car has 255/40 up front, and 275/40 OE size in rear. From the second owner i presume by the front tires manufacturer date. I don't know how 275 all around feels but I know I don't like how sensitive the steering at higher speeds are with 255. I will have 275 all around in spring time. I believe it will feel more controlled and look better too.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Silver
    2002 T/A Ws6 convertible

I was curious because I like the look

I had a BMW 528i with a staggered setup (albeit it had wider rims in the rear) and I think it gave a nice stance. Now that was a 4 door sedan so was wondering if anyone ran staggereds on their T/A. From what I read I almost certainly will run a "square" setup, given that I think the car looks great as is.

thanks for the thoughts...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

<< Staggered... and yes, I drive it on the street like this.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

One thing to keep in mind with different front and rear sizes is to keep the overall diameter of the tires close so that your ABS system doesn't start giving you fits. ABS is constantly looking for differences in the rotation of your wheels for differences and when you get the fronts and rears turning at different rates you can start getting unhelpful help from the system. Your plan with 255/45 and 275/40 gives you front tires with 26.1" and rear tires with 25.7" overall diameters in the G Force Comp 2s. Not that far off so it should be OK.

If you are going to make a change and want a staggered look you might also consider going to a larger wheel size. I'm running a set of N73 Corvette Magnesium wheels that are 17x18.5" and 18x9.5" covered in a set of Nitto 555s measuring 245/45-17 and 275/35-18. I think they run great.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Silver
    2002 T/A Ws6 convertible

yea, I saw the diameters being similar so wasn't worried about the ABS but that's definitely a consideration. Right now I like the OEM speedline wheels so will be having those stripped and polished. I think the square setup mentioned above will suit me for now but thanks for the suggestion about larger wheels. Do you have any issue with the them rubbing? I may do a minor lowering (3/4") so would have to consider that as well.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

yea, I saw the diameters being similar so wasn't worried about the ABS but that's definitely a consideration. Right now I like the OEM speedline wheels so will be having those stripped and polished. I think the square setup mentioned above will suit me for now but thanks for the suggestion about larger wheels. Do you have any issue with the them rubbing? I may do a minor lowering (3/4") so would have to consider that as well.
    I left my car at stock ride height and have no issues with rubbing. Swapping wheels that were originally intended for a 5th generation Corvette is a pretty safe bet if you are looking for the staggered sizes. If you lower the suspension you are much more likely to find some interference, also when you get into aftermarket wheels the backspacing becomes much more varied and can either help with or create a problem. If you have a really good tire shop nearby they might be able to help but that kind of expertise doesn't come with just knowing how to mount tires. Some of the clearance problems can be solved with a little hammer work under the fender or increasing the suspension bumper height. Otherwise, definitely ask on the site for the exact combination you are considering to see if someone else has experience. Of course you will find that every car is just a tiny bit different.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    At the risk of prompting the "it's his car; he should do what he wants" response, I'm also curious as to the reason.

I used to run a staggered set up on my Z28 convertible. It worked fine. I now run a square set up (275s) and not only did the car's "handling" not suffer for the change, but now I can rotate the tires to get more even wear (so I don't have to change out the rears twice for each time the fronts run low). Also, "conventional wisdom" around the net is that "front heavy" cars (i.e. 55% or more weight up front) should theoretically do better with more rubber under the front end to manage the extra weight.

I spent a lot of time researching this issue, and decided that for both performance and practicality, a square set up is the way to go (IMO).

$0.02, FWIW.
    I totally agree that it's far and he can do what he wants with it but when I hear people asking questions about making thier front tires narrower, there might be an underlying reason other than "it looks cool".

Some of us who owned third gens, that had 245-50-16's, experienced front tire rub with the fender liners, partly because the design of the car never took into consideration that such a wide tire could eventually be offered on the car, the front and rear wheels even had to have different offsets. Some people remedied the tire rub by putting 225-55-16s on the front.

There are other people that also feel that a car is more responsive with a narrower tire on the front.

Wasn't sure which camp he was nestled in with.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I totally agree that it's far and he can do what he wants with it but when I hear people asking questions about making thier front tires narrower, there might be an underlying reason other than "it looks cool".

Some of us who owned third gens, that had 245-50-16's, experienced front tire rub with the fender liners, partly because the design of the car never took into consideration that such a wide tire could eventually be offered on the car, the front and rear wheels even had to have different offsets. Some people remedied the tire rub by putting 225-55-16s on the front.

There are other people that also feel that a car is more responsive with a narrower tire on the front.

Wasn't sure which camp he was nestled in with.
    I feel my car's steering is way to easily excitable, and I don't like it. I hope the 275 corrects it easily. Everything up front is tight and torqued so I don't suspect any suspension flaw.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
    I feel my car's steering is way to easily excitable, and I don't like it. I hope the 275 corrects it easily. Everything up front is tight and torqued so I don't suspect any suspension flaw.
    I know what you mean, I am running 245-45-17 snows, and the steering is noticeably more fidgety than my 285-40-17's, and the 285's wheel and tire package is sctually lighter than my winters to boot!
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

you also cannot rotate tires front to back and vice-versa when you have "staggered" tires.

Black
    2000 trans am

I run 275's on all 4 corners and I am lowered on Koni str-t's with strano lowering springs. I have never had an issue with rubbing.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

With 275s you wouldn't have problems with rubbing lowered. Mine is lowered and I've had no problems with 305s I'm putting bigger tires on so I don't know about them yet.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    you also cannot rotate tires front to back and vice-versa when you have "staggered" tires.
    I thought these cars never needed the tires rotated. Here I thought these cars usually had only the rear tires replaced due to driving habits

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well, I mean, that's probably what most people do lol. If you're running street tires, you should probably rotate them though. Just something to consider.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
    I thought these cars never needed the tires rotated. Here I thought these cars usually had only the rear tires replaced due to driving habits

I rotate my tires every 2-3 oil changes (and then still swap out snows and summers for the right seasons). The March will be the third "Year" that I've been running these l summers, and will probably last through 'till winter.

I might be doing staggered then because I think I will add an 18 in C5 Z06 wheel to my inventory and keep two of the C5 Z06 17's on the front because I am too cheap to buy the front too (unless I find a killer deal). Might do 285's up front, and 305's in the back because of the lack of choice for really wide 17's.

Thread Information