Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoliers

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Spoliers

I see some people talk about raised spoilers. On the 98 trans am is there a different spoiler for the ws6 and non ws6 cars?

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

nope . . theyre the same
    raised is trans am spoiler (except convertable)
    non raised is firebird

Silver
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Is there a higher one on eht newer trans ams? this one looks higher but it might be my imagination.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trans...QQcmdZViewItem

Silver
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

That one does look a little higher...but i think its the angle the pic was taken. AND WHO PUTS A DIRTY ASS PART TO TRY AND SELL AND THEN SAY "great condition black in color. paint is in awesome condition"??????

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

one exhaust tip?

great car! looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer25f View Post
    Is there a higher one on eht newer trans ams? this one looks higher but it might be my imagination.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trans...QQcmdZViewItem

just the angle

the one exhaust tip is because some(i believe) if not all of the 98 ta's had single exhaust stock

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

one exhaust??? that's so weird.... glad they fixed it by 99 then.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

1 3.5" exhaust pipe... was acctually better in most opinions.

I second the pic angle theory. all factory high spoilers were the same

pewter
    99 trans am ws6

dont the firehawks have a different spoiler.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wretched View Post
    one exhaust??? that's so weird.... glad they fixed it by 99 then.
    I think there was a trend with the first models of their redesigns. They did the 98 with one exhaust tip and then showed off the 99 with dual exhaust. Same with 04 GTO.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

On the topic of spoilers, I think the '93 and '94 Trans Am's had to be a "GT" to have the raised spoiler, correct?

Always thought that was weird to call a Trans Am a "GT" anyway.

Silly GM, glad they dropped that shiat.

Red
    1998 T/A

All T/A's had dual outs...WS6s had the singles in 98'. I dobt there are 10 left on the planet that still have the single because it looks so out of place

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Here is what I posted several months ago from a similar thread:

Early model LT1's had the up-level spoiler as an option. In 1994, if you bought the Trans Am GT, it came with the up-level spoiler standard. The base model T/A in 1994 didn't have an up-level spoiler. It is made as an option in 1993 & 1995 before and after the GT model. I'm not sure exactly what year it became standard with all T/A's, but I'm guessing 1996 since I don't think I've ever seen a low spoiler on a 1996 or 1997. Here is a link to an LT1 T/A without the up-level spoiler for those who haven't seen one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...QQcmdZViewItem).

I'm partial to the GT option because my first T/A had it. It had some unique features different than nearly all the other years (spoiler option and Performance Shift button).
    Last edited by vannatte; 02-23-2010 at 06:33 PM.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Quote Originally Posted by 99pewterta View Post
    dont the firehawks have a different spoiler.
    Yes, they do, called the "IROC." However you can also own a Firehawk Trans Am or Firehawk Formula, which kept the original TA or Formula spoiler. I believe the IROC was only an option on 2002 Firehawks from the factory. (I'm not sure though, but would like a clarification.)

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

This is what I believe to be true about Firebird spoilers. You have formy spoiler, TA spoiler, then Firehawks had an optional spoiler nicknamed "ole lumpy", I beleive it was only offered one year and very few opted for this option. Then the 2001 Firehawk 10th anniversary model had the "Iroc" inspired spoiler (converts got the formy spoiler) and then the "Iroc" was offered as an option for last year Hawks, T-Tops 2002 model.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Levilz View Post
    All T/A's had dual outs...WS6s had the singles in 98'. I dobt there are 10 left on the planet that still have the single because it looks so out of place
    WOW, only 10 left?? Mine's apparently getting rarer and rarer by the day! LOL.

'98 SSs also had the SOTL, which I believe is a partial carry-over from the '97 SS DOTL systems. In any case, there were 2 reasons the '99 SS/WS6 cars went to dual outlets: A) Looks (admittedly, the SOTL looks odd on a T/A w/ the big empty cutout on the right), and B) New '99 noise standards that the SOTL would not meet.

In terms of performance, I remember reading several articles about aftermarket cat-back systems for the LS1 f-bods that showed decent gains (15+ HP) over the standard Z28/TA (non SS/WS6) cars, but only marginal gains (<5HP) over the SOTL systems. When the '99 SS/WS6 cars went to a quieter dual-out system, there was also alot of discussion about this quieter system not being as effective as the SOTL (at the time, the fastest bone stock LS1 cars were most likely to be the '98s w/ the SOTL). This leads one to believe that there was some performance loss going to the '99 dual-out system on the SS/WS6 cars. This makes sense, as a quiter exhaust system tends to have more restriction. Although I don't think anyone tested a '98 SOTL and '99 SS/WS6 systems back-to-back on the same car on a dyno to know exactly how much difference there is.

In any case, since (at least on a relatively stock car w/o headers etc), the SOTL performs 98% as good as any aftermarket cat-back, the only reason for me to swap my SOTL w/ an aftermarket cat-back would be for looks and sound. Personally the SOTL sounds just fine to me (louder than the '99+ stock SS/WS6 systems), and since I really don't give a crap about what the guy behind me thinks of how my rear end looks, until I go w/ headers and a true-dual system, the SOTL works fine for me.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

White
    2002 T/A WS6

strange, i have been following these cars for years (since i bought my 87 formula 350 in 1994) and i do not recall any other spoiler as an option other than the normal T/A up lvl spoiler on a 98+ firehawk... i know there was the mecham but that was aftermarket as far as i know... so, from what i have seen there is no other factory option.

yeah firehawk does has at least 2 other factory spoilers as mentioned above. . the ugly one and the one with the full length led 3rd brake light. . . dont know if they have anymore. someones probably got pics

Thread Information