midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Sound is driving me insane

When I am driving my car I can hear what sounds similar to a sssss ssssss sssss sssss coming from the wheels. Similar to a hi-hat. I just put new ceramic pads on the front so I am getting squeaks from hell when I am stopping the car, then it goes back to the sssss ssssss ssssss.

Can somebody help me out here

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Wheel bearing?

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

If it is from the rear I had a noise but it was more of a humming noise and turned out to be rear-end bearings.

Did you change you rotors and but slotted rotors on the car, that will also make the noise. I put them on my car with Hawk ceramic pads and drove the car with the t-tops off down the highway. I thought the locust (insect) were going crazy for that time of the year but when I stopped my car so did the noise.

Good luck finding the noise, I always hate when mysterious noised pop up.

Chad

blue
    2001 WS6

did u put brake pad "lube" on the metal side?...some slotted rotors will make noise...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Turn up the stereo.

Seriously, does the noise momentarily go away when you apply light pressure to the brake pedal? Did you clean and lube your pins when you changed the brakes?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Try lubing anywhere there is metal to metal contact between the brake pad and brake caliper bracket. If you take your wheel off and look at the brake pad clips, you might see that it is shiny. If so, this is your culprit probably. It is rubbing.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

If you didn't change the rotors, did you check for warping. If the rotors are good, definatly a follow all of the lube advise above.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Have you confirmed that you only hear this noise when the car is moving. I just finished a road race a few weeks back and when I go home my fuel pump was whistling to me, but this noise will happen anytime the car turned on and just idling, sounds like your noise happens when you are driving.

Just trying to look at all possibilities.

Chad

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin2000 View Post
    If it is from the rear I had a noise but it was more of a humming noise and turned out to be rear-end bearings.

Did you change you rotors and but slotted rotors on the car, that will also make the noise. I put them on my car with Hawk ceramic pads and drove the car with the t-tops off down the highway. I thought the locust (insect) were going crazy for that time of the year but when I stopped my car so did the noise.

Good luck finding the noise, I always hate when mysterious noised pop up.

Chad
    BINGO! My car did the same thing also! I can't wait to change my rotors and pads again, drives me nuts!
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

No my rotors are stock, and their still good. I mainly hear the sssss ssssss sssss when I am going slow with the windows down. The sound does seems to bounce off cars driving in the lane next to me when driving down the road though. Not entirely sure if it is comming from the front back or both.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I tried ceramics once, they were noisy did'nt brake any better than metalics and totally destroyed my front rotors.. My Y87 came stock with ceramics out back.. Now they are all metalics..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-02-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

I'm pretty sure I know the problem, I had that same noise a few years back. When you did the install you might have bent the aluminum c-clips that hold the pads on the caliper. You will have to take the tire off and check the clips where they pass over the rotor. Be careful if you bend them, they are very delicate if old, and very hard to find. Good Luck!
    3" MagnaFlow CatBack w/Corsa (clone)Tips, Lloyds Custom Floor Mats, SLP Lid, Pro 5.0 W/ Lou's SS, 7.5" Eaton Locker w/3.73, KYB AGX, BMR LCA's, FRA, SSE, 5% Tint, 18x9 C5 Rims w/Falken 452

Thread Information