Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Something Odd when I Lock/Unlock the car...

Allright so when I use my clicker to lock/unlock the car something strange happens. My headlights pop up, pop down and then a grinding noice occurs for about 15 seconds. The grinding noise sounds as if it is coming from the headlight motor. Why could it be doing this when i lock/unlock the car?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

one of your headlight motors is fixing to go. Most likely it is one of the plastic gears has some teeth broken off.

There is 2 ways to fix. Rotate the gear 180 and it will work like before. However it will do this again in the long run.

Or, you can get a brass/aluminum gear to replace and not ever worry about it again.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

i figured that the grinding was prolly a bad gear, thanks for the speedy reply on that, where can a pick up just a gear for it? also does this explain why my headlights pop up and then down when i click the lock or unlock button on my remote entry clicker?

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

just took a spin to the store and noticed that when i turn on just the parking lights the headlights pop up but do not turn on.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    just took a spin to the store and noticed that when i turn on just the parking lights the headlights pop up but do not turn on.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156430

That's the thread I posted not too long ago. Since the unlock/lock function on the keyless makes all the lights flash, it's probably no different for the headlights. With a stripped or worn out gear, it can't tell that's it's fully closed and thus turns them on, which thus pops them up. If you read my thread, a lot of people including myself provided a ton of information. I googled brass gears and it seemed to come up with 2 main ones. I went with the one that included a t-brace and had slightly better reviews. I'd give a name but idk if it's a sponser? So... I can pm if you'd like. Cost me $43, a day, and shipped in about 3-4 days. It doesn't take all day to do by any means but to let the adhesive dry it recommends 12 hrs so, I fixed it, let it sit overnight, and threw it back in. I ran into a few things that were very hard to get off because I didn't have any rust remover spray so... but don't fret. It's an easy fix.

Edit:
    PM sent, let me know if it helped any.
    Last edited by Ant71130; 05-31-2011 at 04:45 AM.
    2002 Black/Ebony M6 WS6: Lid, Filter, Smooth Bellow, P&P TB (!Bump Stop), Magnaflow Cat-Back (dumped after the axle), 4.10s, Hypertech ME Tune, eibach springs 4/4, LCA relocating brackets, PHB, free mods, 17" TTMs.

blue
    1999 TransAm

yep, the above posters got it - sounds like the busted headlight gear problem. i'm too lazy, i just leave 'em up (that way there's no question they will be deployable in inclement weather/night)... i hate the pop-ups, a bad idea that was poorly designed in these cars..

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Checked out your link in the PM def, gonna order it here in the next couple days.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

i picked up at cheap plastic replace,emt gear at a local auto parts store. i have been told in the past that if you open your headlights while driving the gear will last a long time. well atleast for me since mine isnt a daily driver and gets driven just on sunny days where there is no need for the headlights anyways.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    i picked up at cheap plastic replace,emt gear at a local auto parts store. i have been told in the past that if you open your headlights while driving the gear will last a long time. well atleast for me since mine isnt a daily driver and gets driven just on sunny days where there is no need for the headlights anyways.
    The best way to make it last longer would be to NOT use it.(The nylon gear that is,) And then, to keep it from getting brittle.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    yep, the above posters got it - sounds like the busted headlight gear problem. i'm too lazy, i just leave 'em up (that way there's no question they will be deployable in inclement weather/night)... i hate the pop-ups, a bad idea that was poorly designed in these cars..
    I don't think it was a bad idea, my girl loves the pop up lights a ton. I think it looks sweet with them down but she always wants them up even in the sun lol. Regardless the design isn't really poor or good, it's just preference. The only bad thing about it is their cheap gear material. IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    Checked out your link in the PM def, gonna order it here in the next couple days.
    Sounds good man, you won't regret it. The only thing I noticed, since my PS isn't ungraded yet (not yet broken), is that the DS goes up just a tad quicker. Guess that's not really a bad thing haha. Well greased and no slipping.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Ya I am def a fan of the pop up lights, love the sleek look you get without having them up. Check engine light came on today and its throwing the codes saying that banks 1 and 2 are running lean. A new fuel filter fixed this issue before when it came up but now its back... So Untill i get that issue figured out im gonna hold off on the headlight. Figure ill takle one problem at a time.

Thread Information