Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

SLP Loudmouth II or Borla exhaust?

which one would sound the most throatiest and add the most power? Anyone have any ideas? I'll have a SLP lid with the SLP MAF senor on it as soon as I buy my new trans am ws6, but debating on which exhaust,, borla seems to cost a lil more, but I had the SLP on my old one and it sounded mean but I never compared it to the Borla.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Borla

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

i have herd Borla in my cousin 01 ss and it sounded nice but my slp LM2 sounds way better. we both have stock manifolds. I would say save some money and get the LM2 and use that save money for a slp y pipe or other brand. the slp y pipe and LM2 are grate combos they have that mean sound on wot and are quiet under 2,rmp so is also good for cruising.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

loudmouth

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

SLP is trash. That SLP MAF is going to create more problems than gains.
    Borla is overpriced.

Magnaflow or TSP Rumbler.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Here's a vid of mine with LTs, ORY, and Borla -

http://static.photobucket.com/player...-30-12_264.mp4
    Last edited by Knight; 06-07-2011 at 08:08 AM.

2001 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    SLP is trash. That SLP MAF is going to create more problems than gains.
    Borla is overpriced.

Magnaflow or TSP Rumbler.
    It was on my old one for over 70k and had zero problems at all with it.. but opinion is opinion. And I guess I'll stick with the LM2, thanks all.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by pbguy357 View Post
    It was on my old one for over 70k and had zero problems at all with it.. but opinion is opinion. And I guess I'll stick with the LM2, thanks all.
    Fact is also fact.
    Almost lost a motor because of how lean that thing made me run....

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

i personally never had a bad experience with slp and my car is almost all slp i guess i got lucky but in the other hand i don't have the maf i keep it stock. but the exhaust and lid i love does things i don't regret getting does. the y pipe some claim that it sucks on ground clearance but mine is pretty good. (like i said maybe i got lucky) or slp got there act together idk lolz but like he said opinion is opinion and i guess fact is fact lolz

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Ill say that i put a slp cat back in, and clearance was alright. When I changed the y to a pacesetter, i gained clearance. It doesnt scrape in my garage ramp any more. Fact. And advice from Mr Luos is good advice. Learning from other's mistakes is a sign of intelligence.

2001 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Fact is also fact.
    Almost lost a motor because of how lean that thing made me run....
    Maybe you just had badluck? If I hear of more people having same problem I;ll believe it but one person so far opinion or maybe I had good luck.. I was running a LS6 though so maybe that made a difference.. and ground clearance was a problem with my last SLP but wasn't sure if both did it or what. I'll put LM2 on my new one and see how it acts with the ls1.
    Last edited by pbguy357; 06-07-2011 at 06:57 PM.

2001 Trans Am Ws6

From my experience and research.. you just need to tune it when you get it on..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Consensus on here says that usually aftermarket MAF's lean out the car. The SLP MAF also has a resistor in it, which tuners do not like to mess with because it makes it more difficult to tune with it on.

I had one on my car and after researching and hearing several opinions on here and over on another site, I removed it and put the stock one back on.

The stock MAF is good for up to around 500HP so there really is no need to install an aftermarket one.

Ideally, any aftermarket MAF or de-screening a MAF...you should have the car tuned. Typically though, people will always tell you, do not touch or tamper with the MAF.

As to the original question, I've heard both exhausts and I would choose Borla.

If you plan on keeping the stock manifolds and NOT getting LT's, go with LM2 if you want to save money.

If you plan on getting LT's, I would suggest NOT getting SLP anything.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by pbguy357 View Post
    Maybe you just had badluck? If I hear of more people having same problem I;ll believe it but one person so far opinion or maybe I had good luck.. I was running a LS6 though so maybe that made a difference.. and ground clearance was a problem with my last SLP but wasn't sure if both did it or what. I'll put LM2 on my new one and see how it acts with the ls1.
    I am not the only one.

It isn't just SLP's MAF, other MAF's can create the same issues. It depends on car/mods/etc.
    Honestly....avoid SLP all together. Subpar parts for premium prices. With shitty customer service.

2001 Trans Am Ws6

Then I won't put it on my next TA then. It was on my old one when I bought it, so I just took it off it and planned on sticking it on the one I'm getting in a few weeks. I'll just stick the lid on it then and not the MAF. But that SLP sounds sexy on that 35th SS though my buddy is keeping his stock with all what SLP did to it for rarity hoping he can turn a profit on it since it only has 2,000 miles.. did you swap out exhausts with yours?

Also, would a larger TB allow better performance with the SLP MAF? And come to think of it also, I always pretty much run with Seaform with every time I filled my tank so I don't know maybe if this is the reason I had luck with it also.

And I have two choices of TA's WS6's.. an 01 (1 owner) with 10k for $22k or a 02 (2owner) last of the breed with 20k for $16-18k. The 02 has a Borla exhaust system black leather interior and the 01 has all taupe leather and cloth but it is completely stock.
    Last edited by pbguy357; 06-07-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Seafoam is a high power solvent -- I would skip on that and instead run 1 oz. of TC-W3 rated 2 stroke oil for every 5 gallons of gas. We have a thread on here with lots of good information on this method.

Also, all that has been said about the aftermarket MAF is correct -- and it is not just SLP. Like Jon said, unless you are pushing the 500 hp envelope, there is not need to change out the MAF. Do not port it, de-blade it or de-screen it unless you plan on adjusting your the MAF settings in your tune. It will lean out your engine as there is more air flowing through it than it is telling the PCM.

pewter
    01 ws-6, 09 G8 GT...

SLP ... with high flow cats or with out it sounds good...

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Consensus on here says that usually aftermarket MAF's lean out the car. The SLP MAF also has a resistor in it, which tuners do not like to mess with because it makes it more difficult to tune with it on.

I had one on my car and after researching and hearing several opinions on here and over on another site, I removed it and put the stock one back on.

The stock MAF is good for up to around 500HP so there really is no need to install an aftermarket one.

Ideally, any aftermarket MAF or de-screening a MAF...you should have the car tuned. Typically though, people will always tell you, do not touch or tamper with the MAF.

As to the original question, I've heard both exhausts and I would choose Borla.

If you plan on keeping the stock manifolds and NOT getting LT's, go with LM2 if you need to save money.

If you plan on getting LT's, I would suggest NOT getting SLP anything
    All you need to pay attention to. Magnaflow would be the best overall option imo; but between those two since you like loud sound right from the get go, Borla.
    2002 Black/Ebony M6 WS6: Lid, Filter, Smooth Bellow, P&P TB (!Bump Stop), Magnaflow Cat-Back (dumped after the axle), 4.10s, Hypertech ME Tune, eibach springs 4/4, LCA relocating brackets, PHB, free mods, 17" TTMs.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have the slp loudmouth with lts and it sounds good. I can post a video if wanted.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    It will lean out your engine as there is more air flowing through it than it is telling the PCM.
    That is actually not why they run lean.
    The resistors are not calibrated for the stock LS1 F-Body tune....and when installed they send signals showing less air than what is actually coming in. Cuts a little fuel....making it go lean.
    This is how they show power gains on the dyno....

Lean = power. Too lean = busted ass motor.
    Some are okay, some aren't. Not worth the risk.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information