Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

SLP Lid now check engine is on what's up with that

Hey

I installed a lid and it went very well a little tight to put togheter but fairly easy with a new sensor as well. The first 30 to 40 miles it went well ,

then I took of at the light smoked a Mustang it shifted in second "automatic" and the tires chirpped and as soon as it shifted my check engine light came on. It was the first time I drove the car that hard this year with the new lid as I just took it out of storage a few days ago and I never had a check engine light issue before.

Would it be because of the more air intake coming in or would it be something else I don't have a code reader and they want 100 bucks here to read codes and I feel it's a rip of so a little help would be very appreciated. I will go on here and find how to reset the codes but if someone knows it by heath let me know thanks again everybody

Cheers

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

is there a auto zone or parts store near you,usually they will scan for free,but you need to write the code down because they will insist you need a new o2 sensor.once you get the code i'm sure you can find out what it's for on this site.there is a precedure to reset codes :1)turn on key but do not start car 2)pull PCM BAT and PCM IGN fuses in engine compartment 3)wait a few minutes 4)turn ignition off 5)replace fuses. this does work,i've done it before,but the last few times(before my tuning) it took 2 attempts,and your car will run like crap for the first few minutes while the pcm relearns.
    Last edited by 02transamce; 04-09-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Black

Thanks do you know if it's normal when a lid is changed that you get a code

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Thanks do you know if it's normal when a lid is changed that you get a code
    Nope

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I mean what could you have possibly done? Bad IAT and/or MAF sensor connection? Bands down tight around the smooth bellows? Touch any of the little thin MAF wires?

Black

I know that I did everything right so if it's not normal it's probably just an oxygen sensor or something. I'll reset it and if it comes back up I'll get it fixed

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

same thing happened to me, still have'nt fixed it

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

I got a lean code from my slp maf

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    I got a lean code from my slp maf
    Never heard of that before.

None

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Never heard of that before.
    Neither have I?
    Please fill us in?

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

I heard a few pepole had this problem after I bought it I ran it for a month with no problem then a few days after the lid install it through an ses so I swapped the stock maf back took it to my old job and had one of the techs let me use the tech2 both codes were for a lean conditon but they were stored codes from the slp maf I cleared the codes and have not had a problem since when I do headers I will put the slp maf back on and have it tuned that should fix it

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

durango when you find out the code let me know, i will be able to tell you any code they give you.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Subscribed for the code

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Unless you managed to break something, like some folks mentioned, the MAF sensor is touchy, it's probably a loose wire. Disconnect and reconnect all the wires up there.

There's no reason that it should fail. Unless you broke something, it's just a bad connection. I managed to do that once taking my apart and putting it back together. I did a bunch of work, and then ... oh look, the check engine light is on. I have my own OBDII scanner, so I checked it myself, so I didn't have to look stupid at the parts store.

I've used mine several times, usually on late night repairs, so its been nice to have around. At 3am, the "what did I miss" can be really frustrating. Having a straight forward guide helps at that point.

That's how I found one of my catalytic converters was shot too. I had put on a skip shift fix, but it fell off and I didn't bother to hook it back up. I hooked up the scanner for giggles, and the code was for a cat. I took it to the dealer, since they extended the warranty. I caught it just in time for a free repair. Too bad they wouldn't put on aftermarket high flow cats for me.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Just a lid install will not set a code. Either it is a coincidence, or you made a connection loose somewhere when you put on the lid.

tough call, can you scan ?

you know what, try unpluggn the batt for 5 ! Normally in so many miles the codes reset themselves anyway... Happend to me , but not for a lid, that is wierd ?, what kinda filter you got anyways ?
    Last edited by Danger731; 04-10-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    tough call, can you scan ?

you know what, try unpluggn the batt for 5 ! Normally in so many miles the codes reset themselves anyway... Happend to me , but not for a lid, that is wierd ?, what kinda filter you got anyways ?
    I believe the reset is defendant on how many times the car has gone through a cold start cycle, not how many miles have been driven. The cold start cycle involves starting it cold (obviously), driving up to 45mph, and about a dozen other requirements. Things we don't think about, but the computer keeps track.

2002 WS6

When I installed mine it popped up a code the next day for an air check valve.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by JWSmythe View Post
    I believe the reset is defendant on how many times the car has gone through a cold start cycle, not how many miles have been driven. The cold start cycle involves starting it cold (obviously), driving up to 45mph, and about a dozen other requirements. Things we don't think about, but the computer keeps track.
    Some resets could involve a cold start, others don't have to. Depends on what the code is, what its' requirements are to set it. Usually if the PCM checks the problem over 40 times and sees no issue, it will turn the light off.

Black

Thanks everyone. I checked everything and I was very very carefull when I installed the lid and did everything install university told me to do to a T.

It runs like usual except for that light but it's the first time this year that I took of at the light jammed it to the floor and kept it there until it shifted and it shifted hard chirped and I saw the light come on right there right after it shifted.

I'm going to reset the code and like the first guy that wrote and see what happens. I'll goi buy a code reader or get it from the Auto store and let you guys know.

Got 1 foot of snow today freak storm we don't usually get snow this time of year so it could take a few days

Thread Information