Christibelle

Skip shift!!!!!!! YUK

I had my computer programmed to remove the skip shift. It was a beautiful thing until i got to a gas station about two miles up the road from the shop i take my car to. I pulled in and was getting ready to back up to a pump when i got locked out of all my gears. I had to shut the car off and restart just to get into reverse. Ever since that day it's been a little difficult at times to shift. Anyone else ever had this problem? Skip shift was the worst invention EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

if i'm not mistakin. there is a aftermarket skip shift solenoid of some sort to actually plug in between the plug and the solenoid on the transmission. this only costs about 30 or 40 bucks. you might should of went that way first before messing with the computer. anyone else correct me if i'm wrong.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

WS6store.com has them for like $20 bucks

Christibelle
    Don't worry i keep kicking myself for doing it. It was sort of one of those spur of the monment, someone mentioned it kind of situations. I just don't understand how mine got hard to shift but all the other TA's he did kept going just fine. Maybe it's time to get moving on the serious upgrades and quit goofing off. Anyone have a suggestion on new motor and trans?

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

just keep looking on here on the parts for sale or trade forum. and maybe post what you are looking for on the parts wanted forum. i found a crank in perfect condition on here for only $125 shipped. just be specific what you are wanting, example: you don't want a crank that has been welded or turned on if you can help it. i looked for a long time for deals and a friend told me to look on this web site and so far this site is great

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

hard to shift might be your syncros in your tranny. i had to replace my slave cylinder before my crank messed up. i put it in reverse and could not get it out. someone else might know of other things that might cause your tranny not to shift.

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

What exactly is skip shift? Srry to sound like a newb =(

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

To meet emissions regulations on a M-6 LS1 you can not shift from 1st to 2nd without exceeding a certain RPM's, made you go directly into 4th.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

skip shift isn't a problem if you just wait till you get above if i remember right, 2000 RPM i never look at the RPM when i'm just driving around(racing is different). i just listen to the motor and shift when it sounds like it needs it to me. but if i ever do try and shift when it won't let you go to 2nd i just let go of the shifter and then put it in 3rd so it isn't sluggish, like 4th gear is.

Christibelle
    It really bothered me when i was trying to turn at a light.

Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransAm View Post
    What exactly is skip shift? Srry to sound like a newb =(
    Just do the !CAGS radio shack resistor mod to eliminate it - instructions are on www.installuniversity.com

Christibelle
    Off topic, has anyone ever heard of copia style paint?

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    To meet emissions regulations on a M-6 LS1 you can not shift from 1st to 2nd without exceeding a certain RPM's, made you go directly into 4th.
    What? it skips 2nd and allows you to go into 3rd not 4th. 4th would be too low RPM from 1st to 4th. A $0.50 resistor I think 22K ohm and you can eleminate the Skip shift.

The issue with not going into reverse as stated before sound like the syncro mech gears but I don't think the reverse has a syncro gear; my car has done this nearly from day one, just put it in 1st let out clutch to move a bit forward then try putting it into reverse, it will drop right in...
    Last edited by my1973form; 02-27-2007 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Clearifing

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by my1973form View Post
    What? it skips 2nd and allows you to go into 3rd not 4th. 4th would be too low RPM from 1st to 4th.
    Not correct. CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Selection) is activated by a solenoid in the trans which, under "certain conditions" (that being <2000 RPM and <20MPH..... i.e. 1st gear), engages a guide that blocks off the 2nd gear gate and "guides" the shift lever over to the right into 4th as you pull back on the stick. It does NOT force you to go into 3rd, or 4th for that matter, but it doesn't prevent you from moving the shifter up into 3rd either. ALL IT DOES is lock out the 2nd gear gate and guides you towards 4th. The LS1 has plenty of low RPM torque to go into 4th at 15 MPH, I just wouldn't recommend racing that way (but then again, if you are "racing" CAGS won't even engage).

To prevent this 2nd gear lockout, you can either stay in 1st until you get above 2000 RPM, or wait in N and lift the gas for a sec or two until the "Skip shift" light goes out, or do the !CAGS fix. This is simply a disconnection of the solenoid and insertion of a small resistor in the plug to fool the PCM so it doesn't freak out and give you a SES light when it senses the disconnected solenoid. You can also, as stated, modify the PCM to eliminate CAGS.

I do suspect that the 1st poster's problem is NOT related to CAGS though. Sounds like a clutch going bad or fried synchros, or maybe a jammed shift linkage.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    Not correct. CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Selection) is activated by a solenoid in the trans which, under "certain conditions" (that being <2000 RPM and <20MPH..... i.e. 1st gear), engages a guide that blocks off the 2nd gear gate and "guides" the shift lever over to the right into 4th as you pull back on the stick. It does NOT force you to go into 3rd, or 4th for that matter, but it doesn't prevent you from moving the shifter up into 3rd either. ALL IT DOES is lock out the 2nd gear gate and guides you towards 4th. The LS1 has plenty of low RPM torque to go into 4th at 15 MPH, I just wouldn't recommend racing that way (but then again, if you are "racing" CAGS won't even engage).

To prevent this 2nd gear lockout, you can either stay in 1st until you get above 2000 RPM, or wait in N and lift the gas for a sec or two until the "Skip shift" light goes out, or do the !CAGS fix. This is simply a disconnection of the solenoid and insertion of a small resistor in the plug to fool the PCM so it doesn't freak out and give you a SES light when it senses the disconnected solenoid. You can also, as stated, modify the PCM to eliminate CAGS.

I do suspect that the 1st poster's problem is NOT related to CAGS though. Sounds like a clutch going bad or fried synchros, or maybe a jammed shift linkage.
    i agree with johnnyb, hitting fourth isn't too bad. i just make sure i'm over 2000rpm. hell i started out leaving a red light one time to race this stang and all of the sudden i saw a cop. i was about at 50 or 55 mph. i just went straight to 6th gear and hoped the cop didn't see us about to race, which he didn't. close one though

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

you could just let off the gas and clutch it again. 1st poster sounds like hydrualic problems.

Thread Information