Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i trade?

My ex bf is a stalker smartinz26's Avatar

black
    99 Firehawk

should i trade?

I have a black 99 Firehawk 6spd ttop 98k miles its in pretty good shape and all stock. I have the opportunity to trade my car for a newly painted straight white 76 TA 400 auto. its all stock too minus the fresh paint job and decals and it has 94k miles but i've been told the motor and trans have been gone through. the guy started it up and it didnt burn any oil or anything on startup. it sounding like a beast but i'm sure my hawk is probably a couple secs faster in the 1/4. he said it was probably a 15 sec car. i'm just wondering if you guys think it would be a good deal to trade... I'm not sure if the value of my hawk is going to go down. cause i know the value of that TA isnt going anywhere. i really like the hawk and i would hate to be disapointed if i made a hasty decision cause that white TA makes my panties wet. thanks

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

DON'T DO IT STEPH!!!

again:

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Depends if you're in the market for a classic or not. Your Hawk is going to be better in every performance category, the only thing the T/A will have over it is that it will most get more attention on the street and at car shows/cruise nights.

As far as the car, how is the paint?

Check to make sure the body work is done right, and as far as the motor and tranny being gone through, unless he has the recipts to prove it, assume it hasn't been done.

Personally, I LOVE the look of the 2nd gens, andwould LOVE to have one, BUT I'm just about positive that the 4th gens must drive SO much better. I haven't actually driven one though, so that's my uninformed opinion.

I'd definitely drive it before you think about it too much more, who knows, you might hate it.

And lol, I love the last line in your post...if that's what turns you on, you're my kind of girl!

Red
    2001 ws6

nooo NEVER

black
    99 Firehawk

i'm gonna go test drive it later today. I know performance wise my hawk is tops over the ta. it does have drum brakes and little rotors in the front plus the 3spd auto.

the paint job is really nice on the white one. we checked it out yesterday and there arent any runs or dust spots anywhere on it plus the body is really straight with no waves and the gaps are all right. the guy really did a great job it does need a few little trim pieces though but i'm positive i could get them from some retailer.

if my hawk was show condition i wouldnt even consider it. i should just fix it up... i need those damn wheels rechromed though thats my biggest pet peeve about my car. damn firehawk wheels and the flaking chrome. blah i'm just complaining. i'm sure my car is alot better than i give it credit for.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by smartinz26 View Post
    i'm gonna go test drive it later today. I know performance wise my hawk is tops over the ta. It does have drum brakes and little rotors in the front plus the 3spd auto.

The paint job is really nice on the white one. We checked it out yesterday and there arent any runs or dust spots anywhere on it plus the body is really straight with no waves and the gaps are all right. The guy really did a great job it does need a few little trim pieces though but i'm positive i could get them from some retailer.

If my hawk was show condition i wouldnt even consider it. I should just fix it up... I need those damn wheels rechromed though thats my biggest pet peeve about my car. Damn firehawk wheels and the flaking chrome. Blah i'm just complaining. I'm sure my car is alot better than i give it credit for.
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, stop it, naughty, keep the hawk

black
    99 Firehawk

i found out it was going to cost me $400 to have my wheels rechromed so i'm not trading it now. lol

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Ok, so I speak up late but.... The Firehawk will NEVEr carry the value of a 1976 TRANS AM. Not even close. Value is not determined by the amount of time it takes to get down the track. If you have a 2 second car, to the generation that has 70 or 80 thousand the 76 Trans Am(bandit era) is the coolest car out there. In 5 years that car will be rolling across Barrett Jackson and your car will be eligible for the clunker rebate.

black
    99 Firehawk

they only wanted 10,900 for the ta. i just bought the hawk for $1k more in oct.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

STEPH??!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Eh if you have to ask you really don't want to trade it. Now if it was a 74 with the 455 or 73 and down I might be game.

black
    99 Firehawk

ya i dont think i'm going to trade. its a nice car though not worth my car.

white
    2000 Z28

that hawk will be going up in value.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    that hawk will be going up in value.
    Maybe in 20 years, but I doubt anytime soon.

The value might hold better than a regular T/A, but go up? I doubt it.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by rideon1200 View Post
    Ok, so I speak up late but.... The Firehawk will NEVEr carry the value of a 1976 TRANS AM. Not even close. Value is not determined by the amount of time it takes to get down the track. If you have a 2 second car, to the generation that has 70 or 80 thousand the 76 Trans Am(bandit era) is the coolest car out there. In 5 years that car will be rolling across Barrett Jackson and your car will be eligible for the clunker rebate.
    I don't know about that.

Firehawks have much lower production numbers than late 70's Trans Ams.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Eh if you have to ask you really don't want to trade it. Now if it was a 74 with the 455 or 73 and down I might be game.
    Yes, you start talking 455s, then you have a possible high-dollar collectible.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Production numbers mean nothing. Example, I have a Formula, 901, less the Firehawk. It is 1 of 5 with the Red maple Metalic. Even at 9500 noone wants it. It looks like it rolled off the showroom floor, no market. Second, Vega Cosworth, low prod, find them on ebay all the time. But, cars are the worst investment, so if the guy wants his Firehawk he made the right choice. I guess everyone here isnt a 45 yo guy who remembers opening night of every Smokey and the Bandit movie.LOL But no third or fourth will ever hold the value like the 76.

white
    2000 Z28

thats only because they are only 11 years old at the most. once they hit classic status in another 9 years then they will be comparable with the 2nd gens easy. now if we were talking a 1st gen that is another story. youll be lucky to find a 1st gen for the price of high mileage ls 4th gens. the market has proved that a 1st gen will be hard to beat in a gm vehicle. you dont even need a collector car for a 1st gen to be pricey.

1966 Corvette Coupe

yeah in 9 years it will be worth about as much as a 3rd gen is now...

So we will be trading them in for clunker car rebates? Is that what your saying?

-me

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    yeah in 9 years it will be worth about as much as a 3rd gen is now...

So we will be trading them in for clunker car rebates? Is that what your saying?

-me
    no mention of 3rd gens in my statements. they dropped in value because the performance just wasnt there for petrol reasons during their design. when the hawks hit official classic status, i have no reason to think their value will not have gone up to that of collectible 2nd gen.

Thread Information