Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awaiting Activation

Should I get a trans for daily driver?

Ok Im thinking about getting a daily driver car and Im really intrested in a ls1 trans am. Mostly looking in the years 00-02. My brother has a z28 and I love driving it every chance I get and so this is why I really want to get a ls1 trans for my daily commute. I just wanted some info and feed back about how well have these cars treated you on the road? Also any advids on buying one of these cars? Like how much would one pay for one? Im assuming the lower the milage the better? Thanks

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

they are good cars for a DD thats what I use mine for, the big doors make it a pain to get out and in in a tight parking space, everyone and i do mean everyone will want to race you at every light, plus if your anything like me i am constantly checking my car for new door dings and scratches which are impossible to prevent on a DD. If you can live with this then i say go for it. I picked mine up with 60k miles for 13k.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

go for it,youll be glad you didas far as having one for a dd..personally i would rathar not.my previous 3 ta`s i owned were all dd`s at the time & although i still enjoyed them,id recommend that you put alittle $$$ aside from your ta budget..settle for a nice ls1 & use the leftover $$$ & pick up a beater.keep your baby garaged or covered when not being driven,keeping miles off aswell,& break it out on nice dayz.oh,& i paid $5000 almost a year ago for my `98 formula w/ 128k on the clock.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by dlmeadows View Post
    they are good cars for a DD thats what I use mine for, the big doors make it a pain to get out and in in a tight parking space, everyone and i do mean everyone will want to race you at every light, plus if your anything like me i am constantly checking my car for new door dings and scratches which are impossible to prevent on a DD. If you can live with this then i say go for it. I picked mine up with 60k miles for 13k.
    yea i agree with that..
    i have always had an fbody as a dd, i cant see myself driving anything else..
    the only thing that bothers me is that its hard to mod my car because i am worried about the effects on my daily driving... plus the more money i put into it the more i freak out when i have to leave the car alone... haha
    to the point, they are fine as DDs

Black Hardtop
    01 NHRA Formula

If you are in Aurora Colorado, they are not real fun to drive in the snow and ice. Get front or awd for a dd.

Hell ya get a ta as a dd. Their bad ass.

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

Why not? It's definately a bad DD.Got mine @ 15,000 miles in march,it's a DD six days a week.You gotta watch where you park thou,people will beat and bang on it.Nobody treats your car like you do!

Sure if you wanna get one for a daily driver go for it ..... me, personally the next 4th gen f-body I buy will not be a daily driver ....

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

I DD mine everyday for 5 years now. 80k on the clock and I love it. 50 miles a day BTW. Oh and when everyone pulls up next to you wanting to race, than oblige them and blow their fucking doors off.

Awaiting Activation
    LMAO good responses guys lol. Im really considering getting one now hopefully a sticl since ive never owned one of those and really want to. Parking far away is no biggie as I already do that with my current car. Oh I live in Aurora, il lol. Thanks again

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by freddy_caprice View Post
    LMAO good responses guys lol. Im really considering getting one now hopefully a sticl since ive never owned one of those and really want to. Parking far away is no biggie as I already do that with my current car. Oh I live in Aurora, il lol. Thanks again
    I DD'd a '88GTA for a few years after I got out of high school. It was easy to live with on a daily basis, it was comfortable, fun to drive, and much better on gas than the truck I had before it. It just takes some getting used to in the snow, these cars are not great in bad weather. With the wide tires and posi, the car wants to go sideways more than it wants to go straight most of the time. The first night I had the car was something of an adventure, it had nearly bald rear tires on it when I bought it, and I got caught in a snowstorm. I remember creeping down the highway at 2am at 20mph with the hazzards on, lol.

Of course that was with bad tires, I actually beleive that with a set of good snow tires, like Blizzaks, at least on the rear, and maybe a few bags of sand for weight in the hatch, these cars would be pretty decent in the snow.

Something else...

Have you ever driven the stick before? I had bought a '98 Formula M6 back in '00. I had never owned a standard before either, and I was so excited to find one. I had to look all over for that car. Only problem was that although I basically knew how to drive one, I never quite mastered the one in the Formy. I never could master the launch at the dragstrip, that really frustrated me. So I didn't enjoy the car as much as I should have, and ended up trading it on on something else.

Yes, I still kick myself for that one. That's why now that the vehicle I traded it in for has almost 130k I'm looking for another F-Body to replace it with.

I'm sure my experience is probably pretty uncommon, but it's just something to think about.

And you live in Aurora? Say hi to Wayne and Garth for me!

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by michaelinchains View Post
    go for it,youll be glad you didas far as having one for a dd..personally i would rathar not.my previous 3 ta`s i owned were all dd`s at the time & although i still enjoyed them,id recommend that you put alittle $$$ aside from your ta budget..settle for a nice ls1 & use the leftover $$$ & pick up a beater.keep your baby garaged or covered when not being driven,keeping miles off aswell,& break it out on nice dayz.oh,& i paid $5000 almost a year ago for my `98 formula w/ 128k on the clock.
    That's the best thing to do, I did it, but it didn't work out too well for me. I was so anxious to drive my TA so the one that ended up being garaged every day was my beater, so I sold it.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy_caprice View Post
    enjoy the snow

2000 Silver WS6 M6
    2002 Black Tahoe

Quote Originally Posted by dlmeadows View Post
    X2 - I'm used to a 4 door Neon so these titantic size doors are a PITA!

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

You'll loving driving it, but they can be a pain to get out of - They also chug a ton of gasoline... you're better off getting an old Civic for the DD and getting the T/A for a Toy

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Black_WS6_TX View Post
    You'll loving driving it, but they can be a pain to get out of - They also chug a ton of gasoline... you're better off getting an old Civic for the DD and getting the T/A for a Toy
    Man they are not that bad on gas my M6 with 4.10s gets at the very least 22MPG and that is the lowest MPG i ever got. thats with 50/50 city, highway miles. I usually average 26 MPG if i keep my right foot light. stay off the throttle and gas really isn't an issue

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Black_WS6_TX View Post

I have a '97 Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder, something that would probably be considered a great DD.

Now THAT sucker chugs gas, to the tune of 16.5mpg. And it's sloooooowwwww.

It's nearly unstoppable in the snow though, I'll give it that.

Awaiting Activation
    I drive a b-body caprice with 3000 stall lol I know a lil about bad MPG. My brother's ls1 gets better miles then my big boat.

I rather be wakeboarding SexyWS6Mama's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

mine has been my daily driver for 6 years and going strong...

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

i think for your decision its all about the milage.....If u get a higher milage LS1, you'd probably want a beater so you could preserve your car as long as possible. If you get a lower milage LS1, it should be able to be a daily driver for a while.

Thread Information