Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 T/A

Should I get this?

He was asking 6800, but the highest my bank will go is 4k, he said he would take 5k.

Just by looking at it would you guys say that this is worth it?

it's a 2000 WS6 Auto 130k miles clean title

A local salvage yard has a firebird the same color that I can get parts from, and it needs tires.
    Damage includes- rear bumper, cover passenger ail light, passenger door, passenger mirror, passenger sideskirt, scratches to front of vehicle. it is still driveable.
    So looking at these pictures do you think I should do it?
    Does the car sound that bad, or is it the recording quality?

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Kelly Blue Book fair value is around $7,000 but that is also saying that there is minor damage. See Here.

Honestly I don't think it's worth the five he is asking for it looking at all the damaged parts. And the fact that it has 130,000 miles on it.

I'd keep looking.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Offer him the 4K and be done with it. I just sold my 1998 WS6 with no damage and the same mileage for 6750. The way the market is that guy will never get his asking price for a damaged car

And only offer him the 4K if it runs good. Otherwise get something else.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 10-22-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Black
    2000 T/A WS6

Well with that many miles on it and with all the damage to it...I would only give 2Kfor it MAX. If he cant come down to that walk away. No telling how much longer it will keep running. These cars are tough but 130K mi. on anything is alot of miles esp. a car that will get beat on from time to time. By the time you get it all fixed up and looking good something else might go wrong with it. Just my .02.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by dr_ws6_00 View Post
    Well with that many miles on it and with all the damage to it...I would only give 2Kfor it MAX. If he cant come down to that walk away. No telling how much longer it will keep running. These cars are tough but 130K mi. on anything is alot of miles esp. a car that will get beat on from time to time. By the time you get it all fixed up and looking good something else might go wrong with it. Just my .02.
    2K is a little low. That damage is not that bad, and it could be repaired easily. The engine alone is worth 2K.

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    2K is a little low. That damage is not that bad, and it could be repaired easily. The engine alone is worth 2K.
    it runs great, and I can get the rear bumper and side skirt pretty cheap. and like i said I can get a new door(easier than skinning it) and mirror from a salvage here locally.

it's a true ws6 car, the mileage isn't that high considering the year. I think it has tons of potential. I just don't know if it's worth what he's wanting for it. the reason he needs what he does is because of the lien on the title.

My 98 z has 153k and still runs like it did two years ago when I bought it at 128k.

High miles are only a issue if it's been run to the ground. This guy is a little older, the damage was done by his stepson, who doesn't own the car.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Offer him the 4K and be done with it. I just sold my 1998 WS6 with no damage and the same mileage for 6750. The way the market is that guy will never get his asking price for a damaged car

And only offer him the 4K if it runs good. Otherwise get something else.
    I agree, the money you'll spend on fixing it up could simply be put towards a better car that doesn't need fixing.

Black
    2000 T/A

I agree there are better cars out there, but in my area the only ones available are for like 15-20k or are junkers

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Walk away.....Just walk away

Besides him asking way too much for a wreaked car. The engine sounds and LOOKS like ass. Also the interior looks abused as well.

I got my 98' T/A for $6500. The only thing wrong is the paint has some scratches and bug damage on the nose clip. Other than that, nothing.

IMHO I'd pass and find something much better...

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Getzen_Guy View Post
    it runs great, and I can get the rear bumper and side skirt pretty cheap. and like i said I can get a new door(easier than skinning it) and mirror from a salvage here locally.

it's a true ws6 car, the mileage isn't that high considering the year. I think it has tons of potential. I just don't know if it's worth what he's wanting for it. the reason he needs what he does is because of the lien on the title.

My 98 z has 153k and still runs like it did two years ago when I bought it at 128k.

High miles are only a issue if it's been run to the ground. This guy is a little older, the damage was done by his stepson, who doesn't own the car.

Yeah. I'd offer him the 4k and leave. He'll call you. You are right about mileage. My 1998 WS6 had 140K on it when I sold it. It was nicer and ran better than most of the F bodies I have seen with half the miles. Make sure it runs and the transmission shifts good though.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 10-22-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Walk away.....Just walk away

Besides him asking way too much for a wreaked car. The engine sounds and LOOKS like ass. Also the interior looks abused as well.

I got my 98' T/A for $6500. The only thing wrong is the paint has some scratches and bug damage on the nose clip. Other than that, nothing.

IMHO I'd pass and find something much better...
    what gets me is he didn't even try to clean it.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

what gets me is he didn't even try to clean it.
    That kinda put me off too. Even if it's damaged you should still clean it up. It would have shown that he somewhat cares about the car.

Black
    2000 T/A

Yeah. I'd offer him the 4k and leave. He'll call you. You are right about mileage. My 1998 WS6 had 140K on it when I sold it. It was nicer and ran better than most of the F bodies I have seen with half the miles. Make sure it runs and the transmission shifts good though.
    yeah, my only concern is how it sounds in that video. whining like that when he revs it up.

body wise is no big deal, as long as motor and tranny are fine. I just want a real ws6. Dad works for a dealer so here and there parts are no big deal, with employee pricing.

If he would take 4k I'd go get it today, bank already said yes to that.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

yeah, my only concern is how it sounds in that video. whining like that when he revs it up.

body wise is no big deal, as long as motor and tranny are fine. I just want a real ws6. Dad works for a dealer so here and there parts are no big deal, with employee pricing.

That whine is probably just a tensioner pulley. Listen for ticking or knocking. When you drive it, make sure it shifts everytime on time, and take it to WOT to make sure it shifts at WOT. If the motor and tranny are good, It's a decent buy at 4K.

Black
    2000 T/A

That whine is probably just a tensioner pulley. Listen for ticking or knocking. When you drive it, make sure it shifts everytime on time, and take it to WOT to make sure it shifts at WOT. If the motor and tranny are good, It's a decent buy at 4K.
    yeah...I have to get a new tensioner everytime I buy another f-body. should've figured

Black
    2000 T/A

I asked him if he could clean it up and take some more pictures for me to show to my bank again to try to get a little more so I can fix it up. It's so dusty.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

yeah...I have to get a new tensioner everytime I buy another f-body. should've figured
    Ha ha yeah. I just bought my current car and that is the first thing I did along with new radiator hoses and oil change... I have learned after owning four LS1 cars.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

i'd move on and look for something else.

Black 2002 Formula M6
    SOLD on 11/21/2009

You seem positive about what you can do for the car so I would tell him $4k, take it or leave it....by asking him to clean it up and to take then more pics so maybe your bank would go higher is going to get him thinking you will pay more...I would get back to him pronto and tell him you thought about it an awful lot and $4k take it or leave it.....My money would be bet that he will take it to get it off his hands....Let him figure out how to pay off the lien but I wouldn't go a penny over $4k for it....( actually, if it was me, I would offer him $3400 take it or leave it ) but I do understand your positive attitude about getting things from the local salvage yard to fix her up..

$4k tops or walk I say

Good luck!

Black 2002 Formula M6
    SOLD on 11/21/2009

body wise is no big deal, as long as motor and tranny are fine. I just want a real ws6.

Did you take it out and drive it? Before handing over even just the $4k make sure engine and tranny and rear end are all good.

Did you do a Carax or AutoCheck on it by any chance?

Thread Information