Necction

Shift boot replacement

Hey I dunno if anyone tried this or has this done but I havnt seen it before. Would it be possible to instead of a shift boot have like murcielago style slots on the shifter.

VS.

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

I'm sure you could. Have a machine shop machine one for you. Not to sure how that would look though.

Black
    1995 Firebird

You could also get the clip pattern off of the bottom of the boot, and cut out a piece of thin MDF to fit. There is paint to make it look stainless, or just black. You would just have to make sure the H pattern in the wood allows the shifter to move how it wants to. Im sure it is possible, just need a little bit of crafty skill. But like Xtinkt said.. I don't know how apealing that would be.

redls1bird
    i was thinking about that the other day!! i dont know about silver, but black would look ok. ive heard from multiple ferrari owners though that "gated shifters are a curse) it makes quick shifts from gear to gear hard.

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

I like that color scheme in that car though. Someone needs to redesign a center console for the ls1.

Necction
    Yeah the reason im asking is cuz mine is a little cracked around the edges of the plastic clip thing from being taken off so many times and now it creaks all the time during driving and its pissing me off. And since Im gonna replace it Im trying to think of ways to make it look nicer.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

oh, your's broke too? gee, i thought it was just my car that likes to piss me off with retarted rattles..

Necction
    Man seriously , I HAVE to get sub frame connectors first thing in the spring. The rattles are annoying ,I drive around with the windows down all the time so i can enjoy the beautiful v8 sounds rather then the annoying squeaks and rattles of the interior.

NBM
    '99 Z28

mines broken too

Black
    1995 Firebird

I spent about an hour chasing down rattles in my car. I was putting in the new leather interior, so it was easy with all of the seats out, but my stereo really brought them out. They are all gone now, except every now and then the dash will rattle against the windshield and it's annoying as hell. But back to the shift boot... I like the looks of the center console. It's one of the better looking ones I have seen in a lot of cars.

Necction
    Well looking at the GTO one , it seems about the same size , should fit on LOUS Short Stick , dunno bout the threading and stuff though. Any thoughts ?? I live in Canada so Ive never had the chance to look at GTO's shifter up close.

Thread Information