Black
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

SES and change oil light

Is it normal for your service engine light to come on on your bird...when your change oil light comes on? I recently had some work done at the pontiac dealership because my connectors on my temp. gauge were jacked up...they replaced them and now my change oil light has been coming on when i crank'er up....i haven't exactly got around to it, but 2 days later my SES lights come on as well...i hope its just from the oil...anybody

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

subscribed,my wifes grand am is doing this aswell

I don't think they're related, probably just a coincidence. Reset the GM oil life system and see if the SES goes out. If not get the code read.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

hmm and reset the gm oil life system is greek for ...get the oil changed?

The car doesn't know when you change the oil, you have to reset it. Turn the key to run and don't start the car, then press and hold the trip/oil reset button for a few seconds until it flashes and turns off - or turn the key to run and depress the gas pedal to the floor 3 times. On the next ignition cycle the change oil light should be off.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

My "change oil" light comes on at start-up and stays on for like 2 minutes before shutting off. I've reset it a couple times but that didn't do anything. I don't pay any attention to it because I religiously change my oil every 2700-2800 miles.

My SES light is constantly on as well. But that is because I have straight pipes in place of my cats. I don't pay any attention to it as well, doesn't really bother me. Yes, I know I could get o2 sims to take care of it but don't feel the need. My car still runs fine.

I don't pay attention to the change oil light either, just go by mileage - but everytime it comes on I've never had an issue with it not resetting. SES on constantly would bother me, I'd be checking for codes all the time. How would you know if a code set for something else?

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    I don't pay attention to the change oil light either, just go by mileage - but everytime it comes on I've never had an issue with it not resetting. SES on constantly would bother me, I'd be checking for codes all the time. How would you know if a code set for something else?
    Me and my dad are pretty good friends with my mechanic, he's worked on my car a few times as well as my parents a few times. His shop is not even a mile away from my house, so I drop in a couple times a month and he scans it for me to see if there are any new codes. He's a nice guy and doesnt mind at all.

The way I look at it, as long its running/driving fine I just ignore it.

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    The car doesn't know when you change the oil, you have to reset it. Turn the key to run and don't start the car, then press and hold the trip/oil reset button for a few seconds until it flashes and turns off - or turn the key to run and depress the gas pedal to the floor 3 times. On the next ignition cycle the change oil light should be off.
    I have always changed my own oil without any sensors going off. A couple days ago I changed it and my oil change light came on. I believe the sensor just measures the oil level and I knew that I put enough in. I also wondered if it somehow measured viscosity or something I did not knwo about, because I went from lucas oil, to royal purple. I'm going to try the trip/oil reset and the pedal depression today to see if I can get the oil change light to go off, so thanks for the tip.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Try a good brand of oil lucas is an addative and is to thick for our tight bearing clearances and royal purple just sucks try pensoil platinum , or amsoil the pp is cheaper

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    Try a good brand of oil lucas is an addative and is to thick for our tight bearing clearances and royal purple just sucks try pensoil platinum , or amsoil the pp is cheaper
    Yeah I'll give the PP a shot next oil change. My auto teacher from high school swore by Royal Purple. And I must say, the switch from Lucas Oil to Royal Purple was like night and day, in a good way.

blau-green
    2001 T/A

hi everyone

Hi,I like to ask what kind of oil you guys used for your bird?Thanx

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I've been using Penzoil Platinum, I've heard good things about it from one of the oil gurus on this board.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I've been using Penzoil Platinum, I've heard good things about it from one of the oil gurus on this board.
    Its just not Sarge. Most people who do UOAs have had good luck with it. Ive got a collection of them I havent sent in yet lol

Thread Information