Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

RPO mistake or Pontiac Fake?

I got a 1999 Trans Am ws6. It has all the options possible except the in trunk cd player. Anyways, I noticed there is no ws6 in the rpo code.

There is no ASC record of it either. Anyways, I checked, I got the suspension, I got the ram air, I got the wheels. I got the right gearing in rear axle. I got everything, even the ws6 performance badge in correct location. So what I got is either a ws7 or a fudge oup, but here is what confuses me...

I am second owner, original owner bought it brand new from pontiac dealership and it already came like that. Brand new from the dealership it came with a fake badge? That does not sound right. The previous owner gave me original window sticker even, with documented miles the works. There was no point when anyone but pontiac could have put it on. And on the window sticker it does not say ws6 perfomance option either.

So my question is, did Pontiac make ws7's and if so, did they actually put the fake badge on it? The person I bought it from did not know didly about cars, so she definitley did not put it on.

Follow up Q, what are these RPO codes? (r7x / k43 / r9p / 6zm)

Sincerly, Deeply saddened youth =(

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I'm confused,
    It has all the WS6 equipment but no WS6 RPO
    Did you try haveing the dealer run the vin number, cause they could tell you.
    Another thing is the WS6 suspension isn't that much different visually from the standard setup. The biggest thing would be the front swaybar size 32mm vs 30mm. Does it still have stock exhaust if so it should have round 2.5'' chrome tips to be a WS6, if they are oval then it's a standard car.
    If it has everything like you said just enjoy it, even though it may not be authentic it's still a badass car right.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I got a 1999 Trans Am ws6. It has all the options possible except the in trunk cd player. Anyways, I noticed there is no ws6 in the rpo code.

There is no ASC record of it either. Anyways, I checked, I got the suspension, I got the ram air, I got the wheels. I got the right gearing in rear axle. I got everything, even the ws6 performance badge in correct location. So what I got is either a ws7 or a fudge oup, but here is what confuses me...

I am second owner, original owner bought it brand new from pontiac dealership and it already came like that. Brand new from the dealership it came with a fake badge? That does not sound right. The previous owner gave me original window sticker even, with documented miles the works. There was no point when anyone but pontiac could have put it on. And on the window sticker it does not say ws6 perfomance option either.

So my question is, did Pontiac make ws7's and if so, did they actually put the fake badge on it? The person I bought it from did not know didly about cars, so she definitley did not put it on.

Follow up Q, what are these RPO codes? (r7x / k43 / r9p / 6zm)

Sincerly, Deeply saddened youth =(
    Saddly to say but Pontiac did not make up a WS7 are you sure that you the second not the third owner, I think the last owner may have lied about the car or the dealership made the mods and sold it as a WS6 car but that would be dishonest. Sounds like you have been had.
    The other RPO codes:
    R7X = Security Package (Formula Coupe), std on Formula with 1SB, includes illuminated remote control entry system & alarm system.
    K43 = Generator 102 amp
    R9P = POWER PACKAGE INCLUDES: POWER DOOR LOCKS RETAINED ACCESSORY POWER, POWER WINDOWS INCLUDING EXPRESS DOWN DRIVER'S SIDE DUAL POWER SPORT MIRRORS POWER ANTENNA STE - ASM PLT ST. THERESE
    6ZM Not Found In Database

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

100% positive I am the second owner. That was told to me by the state of Iowa when I registered and liscense it. And she the person who owned it before me was not a car fan. She gave me a log showing every 2500(eek) the dealership even changed the oil.

The swaybar checked out as 32mm, but it came with aftermarket borla exhaust I think it was wich I ripped off and threw on an slp loudmouth I.

I would love to know the story behind this one...I mean, I checked the swaybar, the suspension up and close, the hood closeley, and there are no visible marks of the parts being switched out. You switch suspension parts and there should be markings, or at least when a new hood goes on the alignment should be a little off, or the paint not a perfect match.

That is why it has to be a professionally done thing, and if someone put that much work into a trans am and ended with such a perfect product, wouldn't they want to brag it up?

It's not possible to order ram air and other shit seperatly is it? non ws6 package just all individual.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am

100% positive I am the second owner. That was told to me by the state of Iowa when I registered and liscense it. And she the person who owned it before me was not a car fan. She gave me a log showing every 2500(eek) the dealership even changed the oil.

The swaybar checked out as 32mm, but it came with aftermarket borla exhaust I think it was wich I ripped off and threw on an slp loudmouth I.

I would love to know the story behind this one...I mean, I checked the swaybar, the suspension up and close, the hood closeley, and there are no visible marks of the parts being switched out. You switch suspension parts and there should be markings, or at least when a new hood goes on the alignment should be a little off, or the paint not a perfect match.

That is why it has to be a professionally done thing, and if someone put that much work into a trans am and ended with such a perfect product, wouldn't they want to brag it up?

It's not possible to order ram air and other shit seperatly is it? non ws6 package just all individual.
    OT why did you get rid of borla and put on LM?

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

I got a 1999 Trans Am ws6.
    And on the window sticker it does not say ws6 performance option either.(
    Either the dealer added it all on there, Or the previous owner did it afterwards and didn't want to tell you.
    But either way You don't have a true WS6 from the factory, but if you have every single part added, then it really don't matter, unless you car about reselling it.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

When I do sell it, I will sell it privatley, and unless they read rpo codes, I ain't telling them it is not a ws6. Soon as I find an rpo door sticker off a ws6 from the junkyard...it will be legit

I already got custom liscense plates with ws6 in it. The lie is started, no going back!

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

When I do sell it, I will sell it privatley, and unless they read rpo codes, I ain't telling them it is not a ws6. Soon as I find an rpo door sticker off a ws6 from the junkyard...it will be legit

I already got custom liscense plates with ws6 in it. The lie is started, no going back!
    I've got news for you. Those RPO decals cannot be moved from one car to the next. 1st, the decal will self-destruct when you try to peel it from the doner car. 2nd, the VIN# is on that decal and won't match the new car. #3 and most important: That is FRAUD. It will NEVER "be legit".

I'm confused, you are all caught up in the "legitimacy" of having a "real WS6", but now that you got burnt, you just want to perpetuate the "lie" and pass it off onto the next sucker? Where's your scruples? Why not just enjoy the car the way it is and be more careful the next time you buy a car to be sure you know what you are getting?

This is about the 3rd or 4th posting in the last month or so about someone getting burnt w/ a FAKE WS6 and being pissed-off about it. Yet several people on these boards see nothing wrong w/ putting a WS6 badge on a non-WS6 car and passing it off as a fake. Now we see talk of swapping RPO decals? Tsk, tsk.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    I've got news for you. Those RPO decals cannot be moved from one car to the next. 1st, the decal will self-destruct when you try to peel it from the doner car. 2nd, the VIN# is on that decal and won't match the new car. #3 and most important: That is FRAUD. It will NEVER "be legit".

I'm confused, you are all caught up in the "legitimacy" of having a "real WS6", but now that you got burnt, you just want to perpetuate the "lie" and pass it off onto the next sucker? Where's your scruples? Why not just enjoy the car the way it is and be more careful the next time you buy a car to be sure you know what you are getting?

This is about the 3rd or 4th posting in the last month or so about someone getting burnt w/ a FAKE WS6 and being pissed-off about it. Yet several people on these boards see nothing wrong w/ putting a WS6 badge on a non-WS6 car and passing it off as a fake. Now we see talk of swapping RPO decals? Tsk, tsk.
    My feelings aswell
    Although I have a Factory R/A Hood on my car I have never tried to claim the car as a real WS6. Hell I even scold people who think otherwise.
    Your car is 8 yrs old and if the parts were added early in it's life then there wouldn't be any noticeabe markings as to what was changed. Maybe the dealer did do it cause I've heard of it before, But there isn't a whole lot you can do about that now. Just enjoy the car like we said.

Maple Red Metalic (MRM)
    2000 TransAM WS7

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I bought mine from a dealership advetised as a WS6. After i did my research it turns out it was converted at the original dealership with all correct parts..

I called the place i bought it from and they were kind enough to refund the differance between a WS6 and standard TA, which was a few grand... made for a nice first round of mods...

Thread Information