Replace Clean Firebird with Salvage Bird?

I'm looking at a good-looking Firebird that is cheap because the title is salvage. I don't know yet if it is in good shape. It might be in better shape than the slightly older Firebird I own, and its mileage is much lower (almost 150,xxx on mine) and its color is better. If it is in good shape, would you go for it?

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Things to check: Take to a tire shop and have them check the alinement, is everything square? Do the wheels line up and track correctly. Pay a GM dealer to do a 'state inspection' and point out anything they would fail the car on or things about to go wrong. You can hire a car inspection service to do a check on the car. Ask the yard what shape was it in and what did they do to it? Do a CarFax check, is it a flood car? Things may seem OK now, its two months out when things start going wrong.

Take care. A few dollars more for a good clean car pays off in the long run.

Good luck.

Then I'd go for a new Camaro SS in a good color, but alas that's not an option.

You've given me some new ideas for inspecting the car, but I've already been through the bad surprises on a recently purchased car, so I'm pretty confident that won't happen. Assuming the car is good, should I go for it or not? Just to add, with my limited driving, the salvage car's value ought to hold fairly steady however long it's owned, and the cars' engines are basically the same and the features similar (not a no-brainer like V8 vs. V6 or real WS6 vs. non).
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 08-18-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Silver
    1997 Firebird

If your going for something salvage make sure the body lines up considering it was probably in an accident. Because you dont want something with a screwed up frame.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I think I'm getting the same feeling everyone else is here, watch for for a twisted/torqued frame. That would seem to be the biggest problem you could have getting into the other car. If your 2 birds are similar models, take the best parts off of each car and make it into 1.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

I worked at an auto body shop for 10 years and still do some stuff on the side. I have no issues with a salvage title vehicle if you know it's been repaired correctly. Heck, we fixed stuff that you would never believe could be fixed!! If it appears to be fixed correctly (ask for pics if they have them showing the damage before) then it's OK. The one major thing you need to keep in mind is the resale. It will not be easy to see because most people are afraid of the salvage. Unless you plan to drive it to death and never sell, just spent the extra cash (or wait until you can save it) and get a clear titled car.

Just my .02 though

Thanks. That addresses the main question. If the car is still available, my problem is that my current car is feeling like a money pit and anything that is LS1-equipped and better around here usually sells for close to $10,000. If I could save up several thousand to that amount, I'd keep saving until I could get a used 5th generation Camaro.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    Thanks. That addresses the main question. If the car is still available, my problem is that my current car is feeling like a money pit and anything that is LS1-equipped and better around here usually sells for close to $10,000. If I could save up several thousand to that amount, I'd keep saving until I could get a used 5th generation Camaro.
    If 10k will take longer to aquire than you can wait, I'd start off with the LT-1. Still a badass ride and when the money comes in it can go towards upgrades. LT-1 upgrades are alittle cheaper than LS-1 upgrades (on most).

I already had one of those. That would be a downgrade.

WHY is it a salvage title... that the important thing to know. Sometimes its nothing Sometimes its ALOt.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I wasn't sure what kind of Firebird you own. So, the more information on both cars would help us help you, such as finding out what happend to the salvaged car, years and exact models of both cars that we're talking about, future intentions (selling or driving it into the ground) and even what mechanical abilities you have (ex. being able to swap motors).

No matter what, cleaner is always better.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Yeah, why was it salvaged. My daughters got backed into and they totaled it. We puchased it back and spent 500 getting it repaired and the whole car painted.

They are both Trans Am Firebirds. Mine is 1999. The other is about as new as they come. It probably was rear-ended. I'd like to see it and learn more, but it might be no longer available. Also, my car might be even harder to sell than I thought. I'm an infrequent driver and probably wouldn't run any car into the ground, just rack up repair bills depending on my ride's condition. Whatever I do, I'd like to eventually get a current generation muscle car and would even stoop for a used 2010 Mustang.

Thread Information