Silver
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Removing extra air box bellows...

On my stock 1999 T/A there is an extra air box component after the air lid and before the MAF. In all of the pics of other birds this has been taken off. Do the replacement Air box lids have a place to put the extra sensor that plugs into this component? Or do I need to find a new place for the extra sensor? (I honestly don't know what the sensor is for. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Yes, aftermarket air lids contain a hole for the installation of that sensor, which is the air intake temp sensor. You will have to pull/pry out the old sensor and bung and replace it in the new lid (CAREFULLY). That is all.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    Yes, aftermarket air lids contain a hole for the installation of that sensor, which is the air intake temp sensor. You will have to pull/pry out the old sensor and bung and replace it in the new lid (CAREFULLY). That is all.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

red
    1999 Trans am

Car needs the sensor to know how much gas to use in order to keep the air to fuel proportions balanced. Cooler temperetures lets the engine dump more gas in to the mix.
    Red 99 Trans am A4. STS Turbo, K&N, Thomas Racing chip, Tail waste gate, Slp mass airflow sensor,and TB bypass. Soon to be running 12.4

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I bought my Direct Flow with the sensor already installed.

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by nyarsulik View Post
    On my stock 1999 T/A there is an extra air box component after the air lid and before the MAF. In all of the pics of other birds this has been taken off. Do the replacement Air box lids have a place to put the extra sensor that plugs into this component? Or do I need to find a new place for the extra sensor? (I honestly don't know what the sensor is for. Any suggestions? Thanks.

What you are calling an extra air box component is actually a intake air noise silencer which none of us reallly care about however it also doubles as a chamber for intake plenum volume. Most replace the lid with an aftermarket type that does not include the plenum volume chamber. Before deciding, keep in mind the importance of plenum volume to the intake (GM did). That said however most aftermarket lids will provide you with a few additional hp regardless of the loss of plenum volume provided by that extra chamber.
    Hope that helps,
    Ken
    1999 BLACK WS6 RAM AIR TRANS AM A4 (1 of 274 WS6 coupe Canada only models)

ASC conversion date: 6/10/99
    ASC build# : 4310 of 5007
    Hood Sequence #74992V

w/over (50) performance & appearance mods!!!

My Albums: http://community.webshots.com/user/kenawink

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

That piece does add a small volume of air but quickly becomes a nuisance and functions in its main capacity, which is to slience the incoming air and preventing a whisling sound. A sound that is very prevalent in older Firehawks. This is sort of thing is often required by law due to noise emissions. I suggest changing it ASAP and if you need help choosing an aftermarket one look for an article written in GMHP a long time ago that compared nearly 10 of the more popular air lids. I believe that MTI's lid came out on top but only by a marginal difference.

Thread Information