2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Rebuilding the tranny

Today is the day I drop off the Trans Am at the transmission shop to have it rebuilt. I hate the fact that these things always happen when it's nice outside and you have a full tank of gas. About a few weeks ago my wife and I wanted to see a movie so we asked her parents to watch the kids. Got on the bypass and was doing about 100mph and all of sudden it felt like I was in neutral. So I put the shifter down into 3 and boom no lockup. I had 1 and 2 and R for the ride home. That was about 3 weeks ago. I only could watch the car and drive it around the block not knowing the tranny would hold up. So today is the day. I hope that can work fast and hard. Maybe I will have it back tomorrow. Just one of the issue for owning a sports car.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

How many miles do you have on the T-56 ? Mine let go at 30k and I know several others on this site have gone at less then that. When you have it rebuilt use quality parts like The Gear Box stage II kit. About 670.00 look for about 500.00 bench time and 350.00 for R&R. Add a clutch if you need one, I would replace the throwout bearing while you are in there 70.00 and do not use synthetic oil, just plain old Dex III will do. I like valvoline high mileage Dex III. Good luck with the rebuild. Let us know how you make out.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Actual I have a 4L60E automatic transmission. It has 159000 miles on it.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by initechpeter View Post
    Actual I have a 4L60E automatic transmission. It has 159000 miles on it.
    Then it is overdue for a rebuild. Good luck.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by initechpeter View Post
    Today is the day I drop off the Trans Am at the transmission shop to have it rebuilt. I hate the fact that these things always happen when it's nice outside and you have a full tank of gas. About a few weeks ago my wife and I wanted to see a movie so we asked her parents to watch the kids. Got on the bypass and was doing about 100mph and all of sudden it felt like I was in neutral. So I put the shifter down into 3 and boom no lockup. I had 1 and 2 and R for the ride home. That was about 3 weeks ago. I only could watch the car and drive it around the block not knowing the tranny would hold up. So today is the day. I hope that can work fast and hard. Maybe I will have it back tomorrow. Just one of the issue for owning a sports car.
    Would you prefer it happen on a rainy day and leave you stranded outside?
    Hope you get your car back soon

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Would you prefer it happen on a rainy day and leave you stranded outside?
    Hope you get your car back soon

Good Point !

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I thought the OP was talking about an A4 from what he described. The 4L60E is simply an electronic version of the 700R4. From the factory, our engines are right near the top of their capability. The PCM utilizes torque management strategies to try and help the transmission survive -- this is turned off in most performance tunes. Best investment for an A4 is a supplemental cooler installed in front of the radiator as heat is its biggest enemy. That being said, there are known weaknesses in our transmissions that can only be fixed with upgraded parts... sunshell being one of the biggest offendors.

Thread Information