Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Really confused.

Just received my new Edlebrock Throttle body #3868. I had the factory one off in about 15 min since the coolant bypass was done a while ago. I tried to install the edlebrock and it won't fit because the bottom of the throttle body contacts the top of the waterpump. The bolt holes don't line up very well also. The factory unit has the holes drilled slightly larger so there is some room for adjustment and fit. I definetly have the LS-6 intake and I definetly ordered the correct throttle body for my year. I had to resort to installing the factory unit back on and will need to send back the Throttle body. I do have a stupid question though, The end of the throttle cable that attaches to the Throttle body has a small connector shaped like a tiny cylinder. This connector slips into the hole in the throttle linkage securing the cable. On this connector is a small grove that goes around the end on one side. My question is on what side does this go. Toward the throttle body or toward the outside. It probably doesn't make much difference but I don't want any undue stress on the cable caused by twisting. I positioned it on the outside for now but if anyone feels like popping off the cable let me know. Also if anyone knows of a good throttle body for a basically stock engine I would appreciate the input. The factory unit doesn't seem to be machined and ported very well.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I've used BBK & FAST TB's with no issues. That is strange, but maybe the Edlebrock is different... Where in PA are you ? Close to Chambersburg or St Thomas ?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did you happen to take any pics of the attempted install that you can post?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Black WS-6 View Post
    Also if anyone knows of a good throttle body for a basically stock engine I would appreciate the input. The factory unit doesn't seem to be machined and ported very well.
    Shaner S3 ported and polished stock TB

s2performance.net

Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I've used BBK & FAST TB's with no issues. That is strange, but maybe the Edlebrock is different... Where in PA are you ? Close to Chambersburg or St Thomas ?
    What was the model number on the BBk unit. Looks like the 1709 will fit but I'm wondering if it will fit the LS-6 intake.

Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Shaner S3 ported and polished stock TB

s2performance.net
    This also looks good. Definetly a differance in the before and after photos and pretty cheap considering the price of the aftermarket.

Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Did you happen to take any pics of the attempted install that you can post?
    No, didn't take any pics. Bottom of the TB casting wouldn't clear the top of the water pump so the holes wouldn't line up. Wondering if the LS-6 intake has anything to do with it or if GM changed the waterpump design at some point.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Black WS-6 View Post
    What was the model number on the BBk unit. Looks like the 1709 will fit but I'm wondering if it will fit the LS-6 intake.
    The BBK was a 80mm, don't remember the part number, but I did have to use an adapter / spacer plate...

Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    The BBK was a 80mm, don't remember the part number, but I did have to use an adapter / spacer plate...
    Does the spacer cause any problems with the airbox not seating properly. I have an SLP airbox and bellows and anything longer would cause the airbox not to fit in the top of the aircleaner assembly. Unless the BBK is slightly shorter than stock.

White
    1998 Trans Am

The plate was about 3/4" thick. This ebay link has a photo of one with a TB...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...Q5fAccessories

Thread Information