Thread: ram air mod???

my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Question ram air mod???

i was just looking at another post about ram air mods where they tried to tape and stuff insulation boards in the hood right behind the screen on the hood. ok.... here is my ?. i took out the baffles out of my hood already, so i was wondering if i took that foam stuff that people use to close gaps around windows and stuff. you know the stuff that expands and hardens. i want to fill up that space in the hood then cut out straight tunnels in it from the front screens to the air box, to me it would be easy to do and hopfully efficient.

blue
    1999 trans am

sounnds like a good idea to me if you can get it to work..

Black
    1999 Trans am

Might be a dumb question but what about water, if you force the air in this way and you run into rain?. Or maybe I misunderstood the mod.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by gokillyourself View Post
    i was just looking at another post about ram air mods where they tried to tape and stuff insulation boards in the hood right behind the screen on the hood. ok.... here is my ?. i took out the baffles out of my hood already, so i was wondering if i took that foam stuff that people use to close gaps around windows and stuff. you know the stuff that expands and hardens. i want to fill up that space in the hood then cut out straight tunnels in it from the front screens to the air box, to me it would be easy to do and hopfully efficient.
    tried that on mine and 2 days later the adhesive failed.

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by cam man View Post
    Might be a dumb question but what about water, if you force the air in this way and you run into rain?. Or maybe I misunderstood the mod.
    well i don't drive it in the rain unless i have to, but i did make a custom piece of plastic to block off the ram air if i do ever need to drive in the rain so it won't be an issue.

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    tried that on mine and 2 days later the adhesive failed.
    but even when it fills in all the cracks and hardens like concrete, i don't really see adhesives being a concern, its hardened into place, the only way to get it out would be to break it up right? that is what i am thinking anyway.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

Here is a good mod. It is an interface box from Suncoast creations. It is made to go with the hoods they make. It will set you back $350 though and I am not sure you could modify your factory hood to match up with it. It might give you some ideas though.

Ram Air Interface Air Box Kit: 1998-2003 Pontiac Firebird, WS6 Style

Only fits models with straight MAF configurations.
    Slanted MAF configurations will not fit properly.
    Installation instructions available on our downloads web page.
    MAF Sensor is shown for illustration only. It is not included with the kit.

http://www.suncoastramairhoods.com/e...ptor%20640.jpg

http://www.suncoastramairhoods.com/e...0Kit%20640.jpg

http://www.suncoastramairhoods.com/e...rbox%20640.jpg

http://www.suncoastramairhoods.com/e...ttom%20640.jpg

black
    2002 WS6

ohh you are thinking of using that expanding foam stuff, not a good idea cause it will not seal tight to the air box. and is realy an honest pain to work with unless you have a mold to spray it into. If you want a sealed kit, there are aftermarket kits out there.

You could also use thick weather stripping for doors, just whipe where you stick with alcohol first to get any grime off.

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    ohh you are thinking of using that expanding foam stuff, not a good idea cause it will not seal tight to the air box. and is realy an honest pain to work with unless you have a mold to spray it into. If you want a sealed kit, there are aftermarket kits out there.

You could also use thick weather stripping for doors, just whipe where you stick with alcohol first to get any grime off.
    its not going to attach to the air box, its going inside the cavity of the hood where the baffles used to be, from the air inlet on the front of the hood to the back where the air leaves the hood and goes into the airbox

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Rubber gaskets maybe. The pics look like folks are going from the fourth-gen ram air system to the third-gen. Looks good though.

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

Quote Originally Posted by cam man View Post
    I have used a BGRA kit in my in my car for years and have unfortunately been driving when I ran into torrential rain here in Iowa. I've never had a problem with water getting in the engine but wouldn't recommend making this a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by gokillyourself View Post
    its not going to attach to the air box, its going inside the cavity of the hood where the baffles used to be, from the air inlet on the front of the hood to the back where the air leaves the hood and goes into the airbox
    This sounds like it should work to direct the airflow. BGRA used plastic funnels that fit in the cavity to direct the air to the airbox. It uses a foam rubber seal that attaches between the hood and the airbox that afterthoughtsauto still sells.

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by black crowe View Post
    Here is a good mod. It is an interface box from Suncoast creations. It is made to go with the hoods they make. It will set you back $350 though and I am not sure you could modify your factory hood to match up with it. It might give you some ideas though.

Ram Air Interface Air Box Kit: 1998-2003 Pontiac Firebird, WS6 Style

Only fits models with straight MAF configurations.
    Slanted MAF configurations will not fit properly.
    Installation instructions available on our downloads web page.
    MAF Sensor is shown for illustration only. It is not included with the kit.

http://www.suncoastramairhoods.com/e...ptor%20640.jpg

http://www.suncoastramairhoods.com/e...0Kit%20640.jpg

http://www.suncoastramairhoods.com/e...rbox%20640.jpg

http://www.suncoastramairhoods.com/e...ttom%20640.jpg

that has nothing to do with what i was talking about

the circled part is what i am wanting to do and that's not what my airbox looks like anyway
    ANTI-RICERS

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

I thought you were talking about ram air mods? Those pictures are of mods, maybe not what you are wanting to do, but they definitely show different ideas of ram air induction, and you are right, you air box does not look like that. That is why I posted that picture. Just trying to help out with some ideas. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by black crowe View Post
    I thought you were talking about ram air mods? Those pictures are of mods, maybe not what you are wanting to do, but they definitely show different ideas of ram air induction, and you are right, you air box does not look like that. That is why I posted that picture. Just trying to help out with some ideas. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

thanks

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

not worth it IMO.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I wouldnt try it. But let us know if you do and how it works out. gl

Thread Information