Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am 6speedTAthistime's Avatar

Silver
    02 Trans am

Which Ram Air Hood

I have been debating keep the stock hood since i dont have a ws6. A big part of the reason is i didn't feel like spending $800+ for a hood and then paint and install.

But it found this hood, and its alot cheaper then the suncoast hood? has anyone used it? How is the Quality/Fitment?
    http://www.cincyramairhoods.com/pont...amws6hood.html

They also have the suncoast hood, i wonder why this one is so cheap tho?
    They look exactly the same

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

you can find them on ebay just a fuzz cheaper than that (375 buy it now i think plus about 125-150). . . i briefly looked at the page, what do they say about shipping because it usually runs about 150-175? and if you want a little higher quality, hardwood makes one that is about 525 out of summit i think. im doin the same research tryin to figure out what hood to put on mine

WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am 6speedTAthistime's Avatar

Silver
    02 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    you can find them on ebay just a fuzz cheaper than that (375 buy it now i think plus about 125-150). . . i briefly looked at the page, what do they say about shipping because it usually runs about 150-175? and if you want a little higher quality, hardwood makes one that is about 525 out of summit i think. im doin the same research tryin to figure out what hood to put on mine
    The harwood hood looks like its not functional, The suncoast and cincyramairhoods one looks functional

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'd only go with a factory OEM hood. I've seen some really crappy fitting, low quality hoods out there, a $399 one is prolly no different.

yeah a lot of the cheaper ones aren't functional. but ive got the impression if you plan on doin the free ram air mod and cai . . you dont want a funtional because these two don't compliment each other (the two together have lower power gains compaired to just one or the other). im not totally positive on this though.
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29

This is an awesome hood. If you get lucky like me and bid when no one else wants it, you can get it for $395! Realistically, it will go for around $550-$900.

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

I've been looking at this one

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/firamairho1.html

Seems to be the same as a factory one, and it's functional too i believe

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

This is the one item on the car that you don't want to cut corners on. I think if you buy a cheap you, it will be very obvious and you'll regret not spending an extra few hundred dollars in the long run.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by vannatte View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29

This is an awesome hood. If you get lucky like me and bid when no one else wants it, you can get it for $395! Realistically, it will go for around $550-$900.
    Did you buy that hood on ebay? It looks like the heat extractors (non functional) would just become little water pools.

the WS9 hood is awesome i think the heat extractors are functional . The page says "The ram-air ports are pre-cut with the factory 98-up firebird ws6 grills included and installed prior to shipment and the firehawk-style heat extractors are also pre-cut with permanently mounted mesh grill inside the ports" . . . also their superhawk is bad as hell . . . http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...QQcmdZViewItem

2000 C5 Torch Red

That's the one I've been saving for. But if you look on the bottom side of the hood, there's no hole where the heat extractors are. They don't have a pic of the superhawk underside anymore, but the ram air one does.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

chuckie, you are 100% right. I was under the impression when I bought the hood that the heat extractors would have a hole on the inside of the hood as well as the outside, but it doesn't. I don't know enough about heat extraction, but maybe the heat will dissipate through the bottom layer of fiberglass and vent to the outside. I am actually going to email them and find out what's up. I am also concerned about the ports pooling water. It will be a PITA if I have to open the hood and dump the ports every time I get a carwash.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Let me know what you find. If those were open though, you'd have to consider where the water would be dumping into your engine bay. Probably a good thing that it's sealed.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I went with a Mecham hood. I know its not a WS6 hood and it costs a little more but it still looks KILLER. Since you dont have a WS6 this hood will work with you stock air box. It still has the Ram Air Nostrils and is functional. Rain and other water that gets in the extractors runs down water channels on the inside of the hood and out at the front.

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...php?carid=9394

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

I want the SuperHawk hood. Too bad they usually go for around 900 bucks. The first picture does the hood no justice. I love the way it kind of cowls back toward the windshield.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    I want the SuperHawk hood. Too bad they usually go for around 900 bucks. The first picture does the hood no justice. I love the way it kind of cowls back toward the windshield.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...QQcmdZViewItem
    That pic with the fixed lights gave me an instant headache! That's a different hood.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    I went with a Mecham hood. I know its not a WS6 hood and it costs a little more but it still looks KILLER. Since you dont have a WS6 this hood will work with you stock air box. It still has the Ram Air Nostrils and is functional. Rain and other water that gets in the extractors runs down water channels on the inside of the hood and out at the front.

I forgot about Mecham. That is indeed a fine looking hood

Red
    04 GTO

I love my superhawk and the last one went for around $600....

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post

It is a great looking hood but how many issues did you have with it? i know they have a poor quality reputation

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

I'm not a fan of the Mecham hood, but to each his own. I'm actually kinda glad the WS9 hood doesn't have ports that go all the way through for the heat extractors. I was wondering where all the water would go if the ports went straight through. I guess they assume the heat will dissipate thru the first layer of fiberglass.

Thread Information