Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quarter Calculation?

Good evening!

2002 WS6 Trans-Am.

I have never put the BlackBird on the track before, only raced on the street, but next weekend they have a Test and Tune day and I am tempted...

I am at about stock weight, minus the spare tire.

I am putting down 590 HP and 470 Torque (sprayed 100 shot) through M6 with Spec Stg 2+ Clutch & RAM Billet Flywheel through 4.10 Posi on the Dyno.

Any estimates on an 1/8 and/or 1/4 ET/MPH to expect? (Near sea level)

Oh, the car is Black, and it will be at Night, so that helps, right?

WV Ridge Runner

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What tires? Any suspension work?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It'll all depend on how you get the car off the line. For a guess... maybe mid to low 11's at 118 mph in the quarter.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

With 590 to the wheels, you should be in the 10's, but being you've never ran at the track, you'll likely be much slower. Plus, your 60' time will be slow if you don't have a rear end to support the power, or tires.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Agreed. Racing on the street and racing at the track are 2 completely different beast. The track will have super grip and your not gonna spin the tires. I bet your 1st few launches, you will bogged the car down and get a crappy 60 ft time. If by chance you hit the perfect launch, perfect shifts, perfect weather etc, i'm guessing high 10's around 120 mph.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    What tires? Any suspension work?
    Car is lowered 2", running on radials. Suspension is otherwise stock from what I can tell. Rear tires are 275/35ZR18's and are fairly sticky on the street.

My street launches are fairly decent, rarely smoke 'em. I do have concerns about running on the glue though. I don't think I'll be doing any wheelies, but I'm still running a 10 bolt, although it was just re-built 50 miles ago... I didn't have the money for a 9" at the time so I re-built the 10 bolt for now.

So y'all think with some practice I can get 'er in the 10's? At what point will they require me to put a roll bar, or a cage in?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

11.49 and faster = roll cage. Something tells me that your 10 bolt is not long for this world.

Were the gears replaced during the rebuild? If so, I would probably get a few more street miles on the them before flogging on it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree. I see a lot of people who go this route; power first. Hope nothing breaks.

I'll guess 11.3 if the car stays in one piece.

Depends a lot on how well you drive and how much the car weighs.

I'm guessing it won't run anywhere near an optimum ET with that 10 bolt in there, lol. If you're not willing to put a good tire on it and let the clutch go at 5,000 you'll probably see dismal 60 foot times. My guess is the suspension probably isn't there anyway for good 60 foot work, and that 10 bolt wouldn't like it if it was.

You'll end up babying it out of the hole with stock rubber to save the rearend then trying to run it out the back door. Probably a decent MPH but ET likely won't get out of the 12's.

Black

I'm listening... It's not a drag car, not built specifically for the strip. I do drag race on the street, but most guys around here want to do rolling starts on the horn so the rear end isn't a concern... I just want to take her to the track a few times and see what she can do... The speed shop assures me that the 10 bolt is as strong as a 10 bolt can be, best money can buy, but it is still a 10 bolt so I won't be dumping the clutch at 5 grand... I am being told by others my rear end will be fine because the tires will break loose before anything breaks in the rear end because I'm not running big tires or slicks... If I find that traction is my limiting factor, I plan to launch as hard as I can without smoking the tires, then hit the laughing gas in 2nd and 3rd gears WOT... That is, after several passes without the laughing gas until I get a feel for the track... Hopefully I don't become addicted and get my fill after a few weeks playing around and just go back to the streets, lol!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It only took one trip to the track to coax around $15,000 out of my wallet in order to go faster.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Hell, I still haven't even been down the track to see if my investment has made me any faster lol.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Having a track close by (Capitol raceway) is a great plus for me. Years ago, it was only $5 to watch and $10 to race on test and tune nights. Since then, the price has gone up to $15 to watch, and $30 to play. As many passes as you can get in between 5pm and 11pm. Not to bad to legally race and not have to worry about cops or if you happen to crash having medical equipment close by. Also, if you just wanna hang out in the stands and have a few brews with your buds and make some side bets on the races, its a much cheaper night than going to the bars.
    I have to admit, after my 1st time going, I was addicted. I had to go every week and practice launching at different rpm's. I only had a stock 91 Chevy Z24 at the time, but it was a blast beating cars that everyone thought was faster then mine. After adding a few free mods and practice, I got her to run consistent low 14's. Now with the TA, its truly been fun at the track.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Test & Tunes were free for spectators at our track until last year when they started charging $5. The sessions run from 10:00 to 4:00 and you can hot lap your car all day long if you wanted to for $40. As a "Team Beaver" member I get to run our cars for $30.

Thread Information