Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power

White
    2002 WS6

Power

Guys this may be a dumb question but I am new to the F-body LS1 community. My quesiton is where do we make most of our power. I have only had the car for a few days and have not really gotten on it yet, but so far have been a bit disappointed in the low-end. Again I have not gone WOT to wind out the gears more. Maybe because I have an A4 and I am not going WOT I am hitting 3rd and 4th too quick which is killing my power unless I floor it. What is on the car is SLP long tubes, High flow CATS, SLP cat back, K@N, and 373 gears, and custom tune. Shop said it was putting 300 to the wheels right now. Came from an 07 Charger R/T that ran the same unless I put it in auto stick then it ran like a raped ape. Maybe I need to nail this thing to see how it pulls. Please tell me some good news as I am looking forward to this baby.
    Coil Pack Covers with TA Emblems, Pillar Gauges, SLP LT Headers-Cats-exhaust, Chrome-moly Torque Arm, .095 Custom Steel Driveshaft, Chrome-moly Fully adjustable Panhard Bar, 12 Bolt Strange Rear End with TA HD Cover. Subframe Connectors, stainless brake lines, K&N, Strut Tower Brace, custom tuned.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Near stock dyno graph....

Torque is made across the board. HP climbs very smoothly to a peak around 5500.
    So...to answer your question....the LS1 makes its power from 2000 on.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

stall the car, youll really love the pull then.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PGH_WS6 View Post
    Guys this may be a dumb question but I am new to the F-body LS1 community. My quesiton is where do we make most of our power. I have only had the car for a few days and have not really gotten on it yet, but so far have been a bit disappointed in the low-end. Again I have not gone WOT to wind out the gears more. Maybe because I have an A4 and I am not going WOT I am hitting 3rd and 4th too quick which is killing my power unless I floor it. What is on the car is SLP long tubes, High flow CATS, SLP cat back, K@N, and 373 gears, and custom tune. Shop said it was putting 300 to the wheels right now. Came from an 07 Charger R/T that ran the same unless I put it in auto stick then it ran like a raped ape. Maybe I need to nail this thing to see how it pulls. Please tell me some good news as I am looking forward to this baby.
    GET THAT SUCKER RETUNED!!!! 300 at the wheels with all those exhuast mods is unacceptable. I garauntee you'll feel the snap you're looking for once you have it retuned. Go to pittspeed.com to find a reputable tune shop.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

PS, i was born/raised in south hills [greentree] area of Pittsburgh-shout out to a fellow Yunz'er!

White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    GET THAT SUCKER RETUNED!!!! 300 at the wheels with all those exhuast mods is unacceptable. I garauntee you'll feel the snap you're looking for once you have it retuned. Go to pittspeed.com to find a reputable tune shop.
    What would you think I should have at the wheels on this with a good tune? The guy said the guy that owned it beofore me wanted it tuned to around 5500 rpm. at that range he was adding 20% fuel.

Todd

Larry Dingleberry Racing

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yes i would say it needs to be retuned i have the same mods minus the cats and have the tb p&p and i can tell you its making more then 300 to the wheels and that am not disappointed in it at all although there are some dead spots in the a4 that the stall should help you out with i have a stall just not in yet cant wait to see what it does when its in there

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Go out and floor it from a dead stop/5mph or so and run to mid 3rd gear. It will put that Charger RT to shame

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

hey dude pm me i have a guy in pitt that tuned my ta from hptuners ill give you his number he will wake that car up.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Ditch the SLP LTs and get some Pacesetters

White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blackls1ta View Post
    hey dude pm me i have a guy in pitt that tuned my ta from hptuners ill give you his number he will wake that car up.
    Blackls1ta sent you an email but not sure if it worked since I am a new member. if you dont get it let me know.

Todd

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

Blackls1ta sent you an email but not sure if it worked since I am a new member. if you dont get it let me know.

Todd
    yes i got it. i sent you info for tuner,pm me either on here or ls1tech and ill help much as i can.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I wonder how hard that car has been beat on. I know alot of cars are but for having those exhaust mods and a Strange 12 bolt- witch isnt cheap -someone mush have shelled out the 10 bolt. If you havent I would take and go over the car from top to bottom. I know the 10 bolt is junk but normally most people can get by with only 300rwhp for quite awhile, unless it is raced frequently.

Your car must be sick for only 300rwhp, that isnt right should be around 340rwhp or around there. Must be something wrong somewhere and a really bad tune, Why would you want 20% extra fuel at 5,500rpm?
    Last edited by xzaero0; 08-14-2008 at 09:33 AM.

White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    I wonder how hard that car has been beat on. I know alot of cars are but for having those exhaust mods and a Moser 12 bolt- witch isnt cheap -someone mush have shelled out the 10 bolt. If you havent I would take and go over the car from top to bottom. I know the 10 bolt is junk but normally most people can get by with only 300rwhp for quite awhile, unless it is raced frequently.

Your car must be sick for only 300rwhp, that isnt right should be around 340rwhp or around there. Must be something wrong somewhere and a really bad tune, Why would you want 20% extra fuel at 5,500rpm?
    Here is what I know about the car and what the tune shop told me. The car was on its second owner. the second owner had the car for 4.5 years. This guy is in his mid forties and swears the car has never been raced or even ran the 1/4 mile. He kept this thing immaculate. He put all high quality parts in and had the local shop do all the work. He takes the car to shows and sponsors shows, as he owns his own business. From what it looks like and he says babied the car. The local custom speed shop told me he was crazy to get rid of that car for the money he had into it, it was such a beautiful car the guy said. He told me he did all the work and tuned the car. He said it dyno'd from remembers at around 300 RWHP at a rate of 24% drivetrain loss. He said that was on his old dyno. His new one is a mustang dyno and if they old one was a mustang arent they notorious for being lower? While the last owner had the car for thsose 4.5 years he put on like 14K miles. The car is very clean inside and out. With all that said you never know what really happens with a car unless it is yours. I hope it was not beat, but if it was it's too late and I can only deal with it now.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Here is what I know about the car and what the tune shop told me. The car was on its second owner. the second owner had the car for 4.5 years. This guy is in his mid forties and swears the car has never been raced or even ran the 1/4 mile. He kept this thing immaculate. He put all high quality parts in and had the local shop do all the work. He takes the car to shows and sponsors shows, as he owns his own business. From what it looks like and he says babied the car. The local custom speed shop told me he was crazy to get rid of that car for the money he had into it, it was such a beautiful car the guy said. He told me he did all the work and tuned the car. He said it dyno'd from remembers at around 300 RWHP at a rate of 24% drivetrain loss. He said that was on his old dyno. His new one is a mustang dyno and if they old one was a mustang arent they notorious for being lower? While the last owner had the car for thsose 4.5 years he put on like 14K miles. The car is very clean inside and out. With all that said you never know what really happens with a car unless it is yours. I hope it was not beat, but if it was it's too late and I can only deal with it now.

It is very hard to find a car...especially an Camaro/Firebird that hasnt been beat on really badly, but the good thing is its what these cars were built for atleast drive train wise. When I bought mine from the Dealership they told me it was a Doctors wifes car, she was in her late 40s and that it was "lady driven". They also told me that they sold it to her new. Somewhere along the line when I broke my 10 bolt it already had aftermarket parts in it?

If your car was a show car that would prolly explain the rear end that I brough up earlier.

Your car has alot of high dollar parts on it, and it should whoop up on most stock Chargers that you run across.

Have you went out and really got on it yet? It will scare you if your not ready for it. Especially with those gears in it. It should burn your tires off completly though 1st and then atleast get a 2nd gear scratch. Remember to hold on!

White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    It is very hard to find a car...especially an Camaro/Firebird that hasnt been beat on really badly, but the good thing is its what these cars were built for atleast drive train wise. When I bought mine from the Dealership they told me it was a Doctors wifes car, she was in her late 40s and that it was "lady driven". They also told me that they sold it to her new. Somewhere along the line when I broke my 10 bolt it already had aftermarket parts in it?

If your car was a show car that would prolly explain the rear end that I brough up earlier.

Your car has alot of high dollar parts on it, and it should whoop up on most stock Chargers that you run across.

Have you went out and really got on it yet? It will scare you if your not ready for it. Especially with those gears in it. It should burn your tires off completly though 1st and then atleast get a 2nd gear scratch. Remember to hold on!
    This weekend I am going to get on it. It sits in my garage daily now as this is a toy. I think I am just cruising right now and I am not getting on it enough. like I said I have only gone about 3/4 throttle cruising at around 30 -40 and thought It would get up and go more, but maybe I need to be a little more rough on her. I hope this baby runs like everyone says!!!!!!!!

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

no this guy does tuning from a laptop,hptuners,i dont think he has a shop but call and ask him.he tuned my car, mods in sign.theres a dyno in breezewood,pa

White
    02 WS6

Also, remember, that charger had the 5-speed trans (at least I think they do, that's what's in the wife's magnum), so it's shifting more often and staying in the powerband better....not to mention is YEARS newer.

dale

White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by iam_dale View Post
    Also, remember, that charger had the 5-speed trans (at least I think they do, that's what's in the wife's magnum), so it's shifting more often and staying in the powerband better....not to mention is YEARS newer.

dale
    Dale correct it was a 5 speed. Really loved the auto-stick, was like a manual but not, but sure was fun and when you wanted to be lazy just leave it in drive. Like I said guess what I am asking is do I need to punch this thing to move it with an A4?

Todd

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

wow 300 hp at the wheels with your mods??? Sounds like the car has a shitty tune on it to me. My buddy Tims a4 02 T/a dyno'd 340 at the wheels with similar mods minus the 12 bolt. Something its not right with that.

also from my experience with the A4 unless you get nasty on the throttle you wont feel the power and it does bog a bit in fourth untuned in stock form. As stated above the a4 with a decent tune should be able to make your tires scream in agony from first to second no sweat!!! Get a new tune and put a stall in that bad boy and that should put a nice grin on your face lol
    Last edited by Justin93; 08-14-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Thread Information